PDA

View Full Version : I'm not sure if this is legit or not.....could use some advice.

Colombo
03-28-2005, 11:12 PM
First off, sorry if this is not the correct forum, I don't know where to post this really. Anyways, one another forum somebody proclaimed himself as the best poker player and challenged anyone to play him heads up for play money (this was not a poker forum). He said whoever beat him he would transfer $10 to them on stars. Anyway, I played him and lost in a very close game, but he said he thought I was really good.
Anyway, he then says that he would like to stake me. He goes into details and says that he will transfer me $1,000 on stars, as long as I only play certain limits and give him 20% profit. I asked him if he would hold me responsible for the money if I lost it, and he said no. I agreed to this deal. He then asked me to email him my Social Security Number, just to verify that i was over 18. I emailed him back saying that giving him my SS# is too risky. He responded to this email by saying that he doesn't need my SS# anymore. He said he checked my profile on the original forum where we met, and my info says that i am older than 18.

Ok, so my question is, does this seem like a scam to anybody else? I am willing to go through with this deal, but it just seems very shady, especially because he doesn't expect to be paid back if i lose the money.

The T.A.
03-28-2005, 11:16 PM
Common sense says NO.

If you have ANY doubts at all (which is why you're posting here), just say no. It sounds fishy as hell.

xxxxx
Do you need to be staked? Why not play with your own money and keep 100% of the profits.

olavfo
Why shouldn't it be legit? As I see it, the only thing you have to worry about is being scammed, but if you don't pay anybody any money, don't sign anything or give away sensitive information like SS#, then what's the catch?

olavfo

Billman
03-29-2005, 12:26 AM
AFAIK you can't check someone's age by their SSN. About as close as you come is if he was going to do a credit check using the SSN. Don't give anyone your SSN.

Guthrie
03-29-2005, 12:32 AM
Did the guy have a Nigerian accent?

Justin A
03-29-2005, 12:33 AM
Absolutely do not get involved with this person.

PokerProdigy
03-29-2005, 12:35 AM
Sounds EXTREMELY SHADY!!!
If I was you I would say HELL NO!!!

MelchyBeau
03-29-2005, 12:45 AM
This sounds very shady. just remember 'If there is any doubt, back out'

I'd just BR yourself, bonus whore if you have to. It is always better to be safe than sorry

Melch

blackize
03-29-2005, 01:22 AM
If you dont have to give out your SSN or pay him and he does transfer you the money, I say go for it.

bleu329
03-29-2005, 03:23 AM
so he gives you $1000. How is he scamming you?

bernie
03-29-2005, 03:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
He then asked me to email him my Social Security Number, just to verify that i was over 18.

[/ QUOTE ]

What more do you need than this line alone? This erases any doubt I'd have in my mind.

b

PairTheBoard
03-29-2005, 05:11 AM
This is one of the oldest scams in the book. First he gives you $1000 to establish Trust. Once he has you nibbling at the bait he then gives you $5000 to really hook you. After that he reels you in for the big money by giving you $100K after $100K. By then you will be so far gone that you will find yourself showered with the millions and millions of dollars he had targeted to give you from the beginning.

p.s. I'll bet a nickle you never see a dime from the guy.

PairTheBoard

RickyG
03-29-2005, 01:06 PM
go for it. as far as I can tell, there is no risk involved here (for me). And it's funny. Do it.

</sarcasm>

PairTheBoard
03-29-2005, 04:45 PM
Most likely this guy is just full of big talking hubris. We've all met the type. All talk and no show.

otoh, his little con game may go like this. He challenges all comers to these little play money games for $10. If he loses you never hear from him again. If he wins he starts to schmooze you with all this talk about staking you for $1000. This talk is meant to induce you to pay off on the $10 bet rather than walk away from it like he and many losers will do. Not wanting to jepardize the $1000 deal you of course pay him off on the $10 bet. If you ever hear from him again he will have some excuse for why he can't follow through on the $1000. Maybe he will have some second stage of the con to spring on you at this time.

Let us know what happens with this guy.

PairTheBoard

Mr Mojo Risin
03-30-2005, 07:18 PM
Why don't you give me you SS#, then I can check this guy out for you and see if he is for real.

jan33
03-31-2005, 04:08 AM
yep that was what i thought to:)
the only one that can be scammed is the guy who send u the money....

SlyGuy
03-31-2005, 04:58 PM
One heads up game, in which you lost, for play money and he wants to stake $1k? Uhuh. Let him give you the money.

Maybe he's been watching too much Tilt.

mostsmooth
03-31-2005, 05:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
so he gives you $1000. How is he scamming you?

[/ QUOTE ]
maybe hes one of those sneaky polish scammers?