PDA

View Full Version : Facing an overbet, what is your play

Percula
03-28-2005, 10:50 PM
The last few weeks I have been playing a lot live MTT ($30 rebuy and $150-$225 buy-ins). I have been running into a lot of early and even middle and and even more surprising late play that involves a very aggressive young player over betting the pot on bluffs/semi-bluffs.

Example 1:

$150 buy-in, blinds 25/50, starting chips 2000, first hand.

I am in the BB with QQ and have 4 limpers including the SB, I decide to limp. Flop is T83 rainbow, SB insta pushes AI, I call time and before I get it out all but one of the others have mucked and the last guy was half way there before he seen I had not mucked too. I called and he tabled KT and my QQ standup.

Example 2:

$30 rebuy, blinds 75/150, I have about 7000 and the SLAG (super LAG) on my right has ~10,000. I am in the BB with K4o and have a rare unraised pot with 5 limpers. Flop comes KT3, it checks around, turn is a 3, it checks around, river is a 3 and the SB bets 7500 into a 750 pot! I called after some major thought and replay of his earier play and he tabled T8o, MHIG.

Example 3:

$30 rebuy, blinds 50/100, I have about 4500 and the two villians in the hand have about 6000 and 6500. I raised the hand before with a weak TV type player in the BB more on a steal than anything with 55, but he pushed on me and I knew it was a race with his Ax and busted him for a rebuy. The very next hand I pickup AK in MP and raise to 3xBB and get the two villians calling. Flop is QTx rainbow, I check, V1 bets 600, V2 raises AI, I think about it for a little while and finally make the call with the str8 draw thinking a rebuy and add-on and I am fine for the rest of the tournament, but sitting nice if I double or triple up. V1 has KJ and V2 has QJ, I hit the J on the river and triple up.

Just to keep this reasonabily short, I have had several times in the middle and even late stages. It seems that everytime I have made the call, not saying I do it everytime, I find a worse hand, rarely a better hand.

So is this what you are seeing too, or are the players here just that bad?