PDA

View Full Version : 66 UTG 5-handed

dfscott
03-28-2005, 10:36 PM
I've been trying to be more aggressive 4- and 5-handed in order to accumulate more chips prior to the bubble bursting. However, maybe I'm going overboard - should I be folding this pre-flop?

SB was generally tight, compared to most 10+1 players and had showed a lot of aggression.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

BB (t750)
Hero (t1020)
MP (t1430)
Button (t1735)
SB (t3065)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t300</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to t3065 (All-in)</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero folds.

TheUsher
03-28-2005, 10:39 PM
There was almost an exact post of this hand UTG a few days back with a couple of replies. Check it out.

Edit: My mistake but similar:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Number=2009126&amp;page=2&amp;view=colla psed&amp;sb=5&amp;o=365&amp;fpart=1

Bill Poker
03-28-2005, 10:50 PM
with 10BB, I'd p-u-s-h!

lorinda
03-28-2005, 10:50 PM
I think -300EV is about the worst you could have managed here.

The problem stems from not thinking ahead properly.

If you are multi tabling now, you should still have time to spend a few seconds on this important decision.
If you raise to 300 or so, what is the likely outcome?
Scott raise - Stack reraise - Scott fold.

How about 500
Scott raise - Any reraise - Scott call.
(The reraiser knows this too, so is less likely to do it anyway)

How about push.
Scott raise -- Others think.

However with the 500 option you have.
Scott raise - someone reraise -- someone overraise -- mass allins, Scott fold
as an option.

Going the other way.
Scott raise to 200 - Stack bullies, - Scott folds easily

Or
Scott folds, -- Stack bullies, BB gambles or folds and we're nearer losing one player.

You're on the right track, but I think you are worrying too much about what _you_ are doing, and not enough about what _they_ are doing.

Note: I didn't give a right/wrong here because I don't think it's relevant, or even possible without me being at that table, but these are the kind of things you should be thinking about when you get a troublesome starting hand.

Lori

dfscott
03-28-2005, 11:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think -300EV is about the worst you could have managed here.

The problem stems from not thinking ahead properly.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're right, Lori. I got into formulaic thinking and said: stack &gt; 10BB (just barely), so raise 3BB with playable hand.

I have cut back on my multi-tabling significantly (from 4 to 2) so I am pondering longer. I think my biggest problem is figuring out the value of a hand like 66. 66 seems to be the cutoff between a low pair and a medium pair, but there's no signficant drop-off -- most pairs in this range are about 3% apart, so 77 isn't that much better nor is 55 that much worse. But it averages about 50/50 to anyone calling me, so I'd like as much fold equity as possible.

If I had this to do over again, I think I'd push, since I would hate to get called and have to navigate a flop sure to have overcards.

lorinda
03-28-2005, 11:05 PM
Usually, if you are unsure, pushing or folding are correct because the fact you are unsure will help you mess it up anyway.

Lori

davehwm
03-28-2005, 11:22 PM
I had a similiar situation, although I'd have to look it up - UTG 5-handed with 66. Let's just say the stack sizes were the same - I'm folding or pushing. I think it's close.

I'm not raising to 300 for the reasons Lorinda mentioned. I'm definitely not committing half of my stack with a 500 raise either though.

I'd really be interested in some others' comments on this hand.

pooh74
03-28-2005, 11:36 PM
i think those are the worst two players to have in the blinds right now...for two different reasons...plus your UTG...all that said...P U S H

holeplug
03-28-2005, 11:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
with 10BB, I'd p-u-s-h!

[/ QUOTE ]

lastchance
03-29-2005, 12:04 AM
Why the hell aren't you calling given almost 2 to 1 pot odds here?

I like push/fold line here. And I'm leaning towards fold, though push certainly is miles better than what you're doing.