PDA

View Full Version : Scientific question about 'The Incredibles'

Sooga
03-28-2005, 10:08 PM
Ok, so those of you that have seen 'The Incredibles' knows about the boy's character, Dash. He runs so fast that he can run over water. My question is, is that physically possible? And if so, about how fast would you have to run to accomplish something like that?

pshreck
03-28-2005, 10:10 PM
Jesus Christ Lizard.

So, yes, but I dont know the math behind it.

b0000000000m
03-28-2005, 10:11 PM
It's apparently more about factors other than speed. (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/4033725.stm) We would need much larger feet (http://www.news.harvard.edu/gazette/1996/04.04/BiologistsDisco.html), for one.

Sooga
03-28-2005, 10:16 PM
Well that's what I'm asking. Given a physically 'normal' human being, and speed being the ONLY factor, is it physically possible to run over water?

Bluffoon
03-28-2005, 10:24 PM
Im pretty sure superman can do this too.

b0000000000m
03-28-2005, 10:29 PM
The articles strongly imply, but do not explicitly state that it would be impossible without much larger feet.

ethan
03-28-2005, 10:50 PM
The human weight/foot size/speed combination isn't going to let you run over water. If somehow a person could run 500mph or so then yes, it'd be possible. The water will provide you some support, but a normal person's running stride requires too much for too long.

Duke
03-28-2005, 11:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The human weight/foot size/speed combination isn't going to let you run over water. If somehow a person could run 500mph or so then yes, it'd be possible. The water will provide you some support, but a normal person's running stride requires too much for too long.

[/ QUOTE ]

What was all that one in a million talk?

But yeah, I believe that this is the first piece of a post that understands the question. For the others, we're assuming infinite speed/endurance/whatever, just a normal foot and normal weight.

At least that's what I think the question is.

~D

Chairman Wood
03-28-2005, 11:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ok, so those of you that have seen 'The Incredibles' knows about the boy's character, Dash. He runs so fast that he can run over water. My question is, is that physically possible? And if so, about how fast would you have to run to accomplish something like that?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure about running as you are constantly moving your feet in and out of the water. However things might be considerably easier if you were able to keep your feet on top of the water continously. It might be a lot like what Barefoot waterskiers do. For them to stay on top of the water they usually need to be travelling above 40 MPH.

Chairman Wood
03-28-2005, 11:08 PM
Another thing is that there exists lizards that can walk on water. I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to find them if you googled the idea. You might be able to get some kind of foot size/body weight ratio along with minimum speed kind of system if it is a good website that discusses the phenomenon.

hunterking
03-28-2005, 11:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Another thing is that there exists lizards that can walk on water. I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to find them if you googled the idea. You might be able to get some kind of foot size/body weight ratio along with minimum speed kind of system if it is a good website that discusses the phenomenon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jesus Christ Lizard, or Common Basilisk (Basiliscus basiliscus)

Josh W
03-29-2005, 12:41 AM
I may be wrong, but it's probably more of a matter of aerodynamics. I mean, if we had wings and could run fast enough, we could fly.

Racecars need spoilers to apply downforce or else they'll become light.

So, if humans running fast enough reduces their weight (not their mass, but their WEIGHT...the downforce), then the inertial mass of the displaced water could exceed the weight of the running human, and I think it would be possible.

One possible caveat to this though, is, when running, you are pushing off of the toes of one foot, thus greatly increaing the pressure (weight or mass/area), and I think this would make you sink.

But then again, when I was a sophomore (physics major) in college, the day before the final I had to ask what my professors name was, because I hadn't been in class all semester, so what do I know?

J

Freakin
03-29-2005, 05:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Im pretty sure superman can do this too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Superman could [censored] fly... and superman can't fit into any logical argument. I once saw him use "super ventriliquism" and "super hearing" to talk to his dog across the other side of the world. In another book, he was in a quiz show and was asked how high the eifel tower was; he used superspeed to measure the eifel tower and get back to the states before anyone blinked. Why the hell didn't he do that with his dog?

Freakin

Pepsquad
03-29-2005, 05:14 AM
Given an infinate amount of speed, yes.

astroglide
03-29-2005, 12:40 PM
clark can't do it yet in smallville but the flash can. curiously, neither of their shoes ever wear out.

Dr. Strangelove
03-29-2005, 12:48 PM
I read an article about this a couple years ago and the number put forth was 65 mph. A human would need to be able to run ~65 mph to do what the lizard does.

VBM
03-29-2005, 01:10 PM
...i had read about the social satire and smartness of the movie (and it was all very perceptive & funny and well-done) but am i a total dork for really enjoying the action aspect?

i was into it when Dash was chased in the jungle and the different ways Elastigirl used her powers to fight & escape and stuff...