PDA

View Full Version : A pair of aces, no improvment

bholdr
03-28-2005, 09:38 PM
Game #497400013: 7 Card Stud Limit ($1/$2) - 2005/03/28 - 22:49:07 (GMT)
Table "Aiea"
Seat 1: ($111.09 in chips)
Seat 2: ($42 in chips)
Seat 3: ($47 in chips)
Seat 4: ($112.59 in chips)
Seat 5: HERO($38.50 in chips)
Seat 6: ($79 in chips)
Seat 8: ($210.48 in chips)

----- 3rd STREET -----
dealt to Seat 1 Ah
dealt to Seat 2 Ts
dealt to Seat 3 6h
dealt to Seat 4 3h
dealt to Seat 5 [Ac Th] As
dealt to Seat 6 7c
dealt to Seat 8 8s

Seat 4: brings-in $0.50
Seat 5: raises $1
Seat 6: folds
Seat 8: calls $1
Seat 1: calls $1
Seat 2: folds
Seat 3: folds
Seat 4: folds

----- 4th STREET -----
dealt to Seat 1[Ah]Kd
dealt to Seat 5 [Ac Th] As 3c
dealt to Seat 8 [8s]2c
ROY_CHIPS leaves the table
Seat 1: checks
Seat 5: bets $1
Seat 8: calls $1
Seat 1: calls $1

----- 5th STREET -----
dealt to Seat 1[Ah Kd]3d
dealt to Seat 5 [Ac Th] As 3c Ks
dealt to Seat 8 [8s 2c]Ad
Seat 5: bets $2
Seat 8: calls $2
Seat 1: calls $2

----- 6th STREET -----
dealt to Seat 1 Ah Kd 3d 2d
dealt to Seat 5 [Ac Th] As 3c Ks 9h
dealt to Seat 8 8s 2c Ad Qs
Seat 5: bets $2
Seat 8: calls $2
Seat 1: calls $2

----- RIVER -----
dealt to Seat 5 [Ac Th] As 3c Ks 9h 7h
Seat 5: checks
Seat 8: checks

they've gotta know what i have... i decided against betting again on the river. good/bad?

lstream
03-29-2005, 12:32 AM
I would check too. Seat 1 looks to be on a flush draw, and if he catches you are going to get raised. 1/2 players will rarely fold two pair, which is possible for seat 8. On the other hand if no-one catches they sometimes bet the river against your aces, hoping you will fold. In that case you have a shot at picking off their bluff. Don't think I would fold unless there was a re-raise.

Given that both guys just called, I would not be suprised if your aces held up.

jon_1van
03-29-2005, 12:39 AM
I check 6th here.

Your cards are deadish. Take a free card if you can.

bholdr
03-29-2005, 02:12 AM
On sixth, i was pretty sure that i was sure that i was still ahead here. on seventh, i was mostly woried about some garbage two pair... they're not folding that in this pot for one more bet. i thought that a bet would not gain me anything, they have an easy fold if they can't beat aces and they'll get an extra bet outta me if they made a flush or a junk two pair, or trips. if they're willing to bluff in this situation i'm willing to call... big pairs that don't improve trouble me, as most of my experience has been in loose games where there's five people in an an pair of naked aces just doesn't cut it.

i'd be more afraid of GIVING a free card on sixth than i would be with trying to get one myself...

I won the hand, BTW...

CarlosChadha
03-29-2005, 05:21 AM
Hi bholdr,

Checking unimproved As in a 3 way pot is not usually horrible, but in this situation, since most of your opponent's cards are very dead (As, Ks, 3s, and 2s) it is unlikely that anyone improved to 2 pair. Plus, if you are planning on calling a bet on the river, you might as well bet it yourself because you'll still lose the same when you are behind and you'll win more when you are ahead. Note that this assumes that your opponents will sometime call with any pair and that they are not chronic bluffers (even a bluffer probably won't try to bluff 2 people as much), which accurately describes the average loose passive players at the micro limits. Lastly, average opponents aren't going to be bluff raising 3 handed on the river, so you can safely throw your hand away for a raise.

If you were in last position (or maybe 2nd), however, checking through for a free showdown would be correct because people at this level often times miss bets with small 2 pairs.

If your opponent's boards were live, then you should be more afraid of getting drawn out on. I'd check and fold if there is a bet and an overcall, and probably check and fold even with no overcall, unless I know the bettor to be a bluffer, again because it is not likely that someone will bluff the river in a 3 way pot.

Regards,
Carlos

Andy B
03-30-2005, 02:00 AM
I play it the same most of the time.

timmer
03-30-2005, 08:37 PM
your river play is like, what a very good poker player I know calls, trying to get off a tiger before the ride has ended. which is, shall we say, not a very good idea.

Suck it up and bet the river.