PDA

View Full Version : Don't do this (Medium Content)

krishanleong
03-28-2005, 07:50 PM
This is the first time I've done this in a while. Normally I have control over my synapses. Not this time.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4 SB) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4 BB) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.
<font color="blue">
Elementary hand reading on the turn says he can beat 1 pair. The easiest way for him to do this is with trip 8s. I do have aces though so I'll call down and hopefully counterfeit his two pair or something.</font>

River: (10 BB) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero ...
<font color="blue">
But wait, the river card came trips on the board. Let's throw all hand reading completely out the window and instead rely on probability. There is only a single 8 left in the deck. He is really unlikely to have it. I'll cr.</font>

<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>,

<font color="blue"> Christ almighty, I thought I had left this bad habit behind at 2/4. </font>

Hero calls.

Final Pot: 16 BB

WackityWhiz
03-29-2005, 10:35 AM
so 99 and an 8 are your kryptonite here... i'd say cap the river. You are definately winning this hand over 50 percent of the time, and since it's headsup, that makes it +ev. Cap that S%!# and take his money.

I like how you played the hand, cept for the river call. Get that extra bet in there.

(hey, he might have AA too /images/graemlins/wink.gif )

krishanleong
03-29-2005, 10:56 AM
Anyone else cap here. I think it would be terrible. Absolutely terrible.

Krishan

MAxx
03-29-2005, 11:02 AM
cappin aint rite

Wynton
03-29-2005, 11:38 AM
Not only don't I cap the river, I wouldn't even have raised the river in the first place. I think you're behind more than 50% of the time.

krishanleong
03-29-2005, 12:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Not only don't I cap the river, I wouldn't even have raised the river in the first place. I think you're behind more than 50% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh I agree. Raising this river is horrible. That was the whole point of my post. Don't through hand reading out the window when the board goes trips and you have aces.

Krishan

cjx
03-29-2005, 12:17 PM
I dunno, I guess you have a pretty good read on this guy that you didn't mention. You raise SB vs BB which means you have what? Any face card? He defends which means he has what? Any two cards?

So now maybe he has Q9... you think he's just gonna roll over to your resteal on the scare card turn?

You have to respect the turn 3-bet I guess, but it doesn't scream more than a 9 to me given the heads-up blind v blind situation. Especially on the river now that his kicker would become irrelevant, unless you have a pocket pair larger than a 9 (rather unlikely) he's in REAL good shape (with the hypothetical 9).

I don't think capping the river would be out of line against MANY 5-10 opponents.

cjx

krishanleong
03-29-2005, 12:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I dunno, I guess you have a pretty good read on this guy that you didn't mention.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, when I smooth call the flop bet and cr the turn, it screams overpair in my mind. His turn 3-bet means he has better than a pair the majority of the time at 5/10.

Given your read, it sounds like you should cap the turn and lead the river.

Krishan

Alobar
03-29-2005, 01:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Nope, when I smooth call the flop bet and cr the turn, it screams overpair in my mind. His turn 3-bet means he has better than a pair the majority of the time at 5/10.

[/ QUOTE ]

doubtful, like cix said, in his mind its blind stealing mode, so he is going to put you on a lot wider rage of hands than "overpair" and 3 bet you accordingly with his 22 or A9.

When the river comes, there are a hella lot more hand combinations I see him playing the way he has, than than there are with the 1 8 left in the deck. No way am I capping this river, but I dont think c/r is a mistake.

From your tone its obvious he had the 8, but I still think you played it well, and I would have played it the same way.

krishanleong
03-29-2005, 01:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

From your tone its obvious he had the 8, but I still think you played it well, and I would have played it the same way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the responses guys. I'm learning even from my low content posts. I think my mistake in seeing the correct line with this hand stems from the fact that I didn't widen my opponents hand enough in a blind steal situation. That does change things a good deal and I can see now how my river cr might be best.

Krishan