PDA

View Full Version : UberNOOB Question, Winning Showdown %

budidharma
03-28-2005, 06:44 PM
After about 1000 hands at the .02/.04 pokerstars tables, I'm still right where I started.

I've read parts of SSH and WLLH twice now. I understand playing position, that I shouldn't cc raises preflop (raise or fold), and I'm pretty sure I'm playing the right hands (that's the easy part, right?)

Anyways, I'm winning about 50% of the time I go to showdown. Is this an acceptable stat? I'm thinking ... no. I'm doing something tremendously wrong, maybe? My flucuation has been HUGE in terms of BB.

I'll go from +100BB to -100BB the next hour and then back again. I sit out about 75% of the hands, I think. The few I play are always premium, but I think I'm loosing a lot with ands like A Q ... the flop will come Q T 3 (no flush draw) and it'll be multiway, and I'll raise/reraise/cap it on all three streets, and get showndown by a pair of kings or T 3.

So I think I really need to develop my postflop play ... suggestions?

BadBeatMan
03-28-2005, 06:53 PM
Reply to hand posts to get a feel for postflop play, maybe move up to .05/.10 if you can afford it (there might be less variance there). Typically I think that stat should be something like 55-58%, so you're not far off.

jaxUp
03-28-2005, 06:54 PM
^^that was me... forgot to sign back in as jaxup.

cmwck
03-28-2005, 07:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Anyways, I'm winning about 50% of the time I go to showdown.

[/ QUOTE ]

This depends also on your went to showdown percentage. If you went to showdown 10 percent of the time, %50 is really low, but if youre going to showdown %60, %50 is great.

It goes without saying that .02/.04 is a high variance game.
Move up to .05/.1 for less variance if you have a $30 bankroll.

Aaron W.
03-28-2005, 08:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So I think I really need to develop my postflop play ... suggestions?

[/ QUOTE ]

During a session, jot down the situations you find yourself in where you don't really know what to do (or if you're doing the right thing). After a few hundred hands, you'll see patterns emerge indicating the problems that you can recognize. That's the easy part.

The hard part is to discover the leaks that you don't even know are leaks. You get this by read and replying to lots of threads. When you read a thread, formulate a response on your own and post it. THEN read some of the other responses to see if you're in the majority. If you're not, think the situation through carefully. Do you still think you're right? Engage the other side by making arguments in your favor. After a while, we usually come to some sort of consensus or we agree that it's just one of those situations that's too close to call. Right or wrong, the process of working through the hand and having a careful conversation about it will help you grow as a player.

Good luck!

(By the way - this place is known for ego-shattering... if you bring a lot of ego and no game, you're going to get hammered. Most of the posters who have been around have been broken down more than once, myself included.)

IsaacW
03-28-2005, 08:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
^^that was me... forgot to sign back in as jaxup.

[/ QUOTE ]
Not cool to let people know who your troll/gimmick accounts are, dude /images/graemlins/grin.gif

grjr
03-28-2005, 09:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The few I play are always premium, but I think I'm loosing a lot with ands like A Q ... the flop will come Q T 3 (no flush draw) and it'll be multiway, and I'll raise/reraise/cap it on all three streets

[/ QUOTE ]

Nobody wants to say anything about this (at least to me) chip bleeding?

KaiShin
03-28-2005, 09:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The few I play are always premium, but I think I'm loosing a lot with ands like A Q ... the flop will come Q T 3 (no flush draw) and it'll be multiway, and I'll raise/reraise/cap it on all three streets, and get showndown by a pair of kings or T 3.

[/ QUOTE ]
Uh, I think you need to not go crazy with TPTK.