PDA

View Full Version : Multi-tabling for dummies...

suited_ace
03-28-2005, 05:22 PM
I'm buying a new monitor so I can multi-table (my monitor only does 1280x1024), so I need some basics on multi-tabling. Do you have any tips on what would be a nice way to get acquainted with it? Should I start several tables at the same time or start a tournament, wait until I get a rough read on the players and then do the same thing with a new table?

Any help would be appreciated, I'm testing the waters to see if I can make a living out of my hobby...

P.S. I almost forgot to ask you one last question: what should be my goals for ITM% and ROI for the $11 STTs?

Rolen
03-28-2005, 05:38 PM
My monitor is set at 1280x1024 + I have no problem 4 tabling. Here is how I pick up my tells, bearing in mind you cannot pay as much attention to each one as you'd like.

1) Pay the most attention to the table where the chips are flying. The big pots are where SNGs are won and lost, so try to figure out who's throwing their chips about and what kind of cards they're doing it with.

2) Chip stacks. If someone has 2500 chips in the second level, I will pull up the hand history + check to see whether they've won one gigantic pot or not. If not, I assume they're the gambling sort until proven otherwise.

3) Try to notice who is folding their BB. This is very generic, but someone prepared to fold their BB to a 45 chip raise in the first level (at the lower stakes) is probably a pretty tight player. Attack their blinds later on.

Slim Pickens
03-28-2005, 05:47 PM
I just started 2-tabling (hey... 2 is more than 1 --> multitabling, jerks) the 11's. Turn off the chip animation. It started making me dizzy. I had to drop back to single-tabling for a few just to get used to the different visual but now it's much easier on the brain not to have all that pointless motion going on. I use PT and PlayerView for all the reads I need.

IMO Your ROI/ITM goal for the 11's should be as much as it takes to build a sufficient bankroll to move up.

Slim

suited_ace
03-28-2005, 05:49 PM
So you play with one window overlapping the other? Are you able to actually see what's happening in every table? Actually, I really wouldn't mind not spending money on a new monitor for now, so...

Rolen
03-28-2005, 05:51 PM
That's right. they overlap slightly. Even if they didn't there's no way i'd be able to see what was going on in all of them at the same time anyway, so with this I just gotta move my mouse with my eyes.

BradleyT
03-28-2005, 05:57 PM
Are you adding your new monitor to your existing (so you can 5-8 table) or replacing your existing monitor?

suited_ace
03-28-2005, 06:02 PM
I'd be replacing my monitor. It's gonna take a while before I adventure myself into 8-tabling...

BradleyT
03-29-2005, 02:10 AM
So, how many tables are you playing now?

suited_ace
03-29-2005, 02:18 AM
Well, I just did a test with 4 tables to see how is it. For now I'll stick with 2 or 3, I think. I did a few stupid plays because I wasn't paying enough attention and/or was rushing into things to respond to the other tables. Played really badly in one, was totally card dead in another, busted out when I flopped a boat and the guy rivered a better one in the third and won the 4th. So far it's 25% ITM and a 13% ROI (lol).

Getting back to the subject, I think I'll play 2 tables this week, add a third next week and maybe the 4th in the week after that.

BradleyT
03-29-2005, 02:52 AM
That sounds like a good plan. Once you get comfortable at 4, you may want to add your second monitor back on (if your video card supports it) and play 1 or 2 on there. With 2 you'll have slight overlap but it will be minimal.

I do 4 on my 20.1" LCD and 2-4 on my crappy 17" LCD with overlap. However I don't keep 8 games constantly running (in that I don't join a new game immediately after busting out) so if I bust on a game on my 2001fp I move a game from my other monitor into its place.

But then again, having 2 monitors is +EV for more things than poker so I'd recommend it if your video card supports it even if you don't plan on 5+ tabling immediately.

TheUsher
03-29-2005, 03:11 AM
2 2001FP's side by side is the best thing since sliced bread for multi-tablers. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

suited_ace
03-29-2005, 10:06 AM
I have wet dreams of having 2 2001fp's side by side... One day I'll get there...

AA suited
03-30-2005, 02:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
3) Try to notice who is folding their BB. This is very generic, but someone prepared to fold their BB to a 45 chip raise in the first level (at the lower stakes) is probably a pretty tight player. Attack their blinds later on.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol.. try this at a 50+5 at lvl5+ and see what happens /images/graemlins/smile.gif

TheUsher
03-30-2005, 03:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol.. try this at a 50+5 at lvl5+ and see what happens /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm dying to know your nick AA. My gut tells me we've played together before at least a couple of times. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

AA suited
03-30-2005, 01:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm dying to know your nick AA. My gut tells me we've played together before at least a couple of times. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

give you a hint: Poker prophecy has me at 49% ITM at 100+9 /images/graemlins/smile.gif

yeah, it's wrong

TheUsher
03-30-2005, 04:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]

give you a hint: Poker prophecy has me at 49% ITM at 100+9 /images/graemlins/smile.gif

yeah, it's wrong

[/ QUOTE ]

Joe? /images/graemlins/confused.gif Only person that even comes remotely close to that ITM and also plays the 50's. Looked at about 30 people...