PDA

View Full Version : KJs in the BB

slavic
03-28-2005, 05:17 PM
UTG player has decent hand selection, good postflop aggression and tends to read hands pretty well. Preflop raiser is tight passive, the other players are the type you really want in the hand with you. Too loose and too long.

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (9 handed)
Preflop: Hero is BB with J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB calls, Hero calls, UTG calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (10 SB) J/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/club.gif, 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP3 calls, Button calls, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls, MP3 calls, Button calls.

Turn: (9 BB) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks

meep_42
03-28-2005, 05:31 PM
I don't get the turn check after putting in the last raise on the flop, isn't this one of the cards you wanted to come on the turn?

-d

Fat Nicky
03-28-2005, 05:32 PM
I like your plan on the flop, too bad UTG messed things up for you. I still like going through with the check/raise on the flop, but i'd bet the turn.

CallMeIshmael
03-28-2005, 05:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Turn: (9 BB) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks

[/ QUOTE ]

With the intention of what?

Adjutor
03-28-2005, 05:38 PM
Lead out the betting on the turn, this isn't a scare card. If you get raised my guess is that you're up against AA KK QQ JJ. If not you want your opponents to take their hands too far.

DMBFan23
03-28-2005, 05:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
UTG player has decent hand selection, good postflop aggression and tends to read hands pretty well. Preflop raiser is tight passive, the other players are the type you really want in the hand with you. Too loose and too long.

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (9 handed)
Preflop: Hero is BB with J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB calls, Hero calls, UTG calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (10 SB) J/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/club.gif, 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP3 calls, Button calls, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls, MP3 calls, Button calls.

Hero checks

[/ QUOTE ]

is this some cool second level play where UTG and button now put you on a flush draw that wanted to check the flop and evaluate, calling an lp bet but raising an EP bet?

cause if so, he'll bet again with a worse jack now that you've checked to deny your obvious flush draw the free card and you can checkraise again if button folds but get out if button is rocking some wait till the turn action with AA/KK. only problem is if UTG was betting a draw and it checks to button, and he bets...now do you c/r or fold, or call?

if this were a microlimit hand then I would say bet the turn, but I want more since you probably had a reason to do this. I'm betting the turn though.

slavic
03-28-2005, 07:02 PM
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP3 calls, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls, MP3 calls.

River: (15 BB) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>

Go for a third?

BigEndian
03-28-2005, 07:05 PM
Of course. If you landed it, you rock.

- Jim

Adjutor
03-28-2005, 07:09 PM
I'd lead the betting on the river. If he thinks you might have a jack he's not betting. Plus, I think leading the betting here could be considered a false sign of strength. He might percieve you as representing the J with something else such as an over/underpair. If he's got AA KK QQ he's calling. I don't see him folding this hand to your bet unless he's been trying to push you out of the pot with AK this whole time. I'd say leading the bet here is probably better, as he's calling your bet more often than he's putting one in himself. Depends on your read of the villian though, I guess.

edit: that said, i bet you did it again and it worked.

ThePenguin
03-28-2005, 07:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Go for a third?

[/ QUOTE ]

The moral victory you will take from check-raising every street will more than compensate for the times it gets checked through.

nolanfan34
03-28-2005, 07:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Go for a third?

[/ QUOTE ]

The moral victory you will take from check-raising every street will more than compensate for the times it gets checked through.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't spend moral victory though.

That being said, if you check now, it sure looks like it could an overpair that is planning to check/call a river bet. Two check/raises seems to say "I can beat a J" to UTG, and a check now may make him think that his J is good if he has one.

I have a nagging feeling though that you pulled it off, but he showed AJ.

flair1239
03-28-2005, 08:19 PM
I really think you should have bet. At this point hand protection is out of the question. But I really don't think we want to give a free card.

If UTG does raise you, that would suck; but I really think it is just a likely that he is on a flush draw, as it is that he is waiting to perform so dastardly trickery on you on the turn.

bernie
03-29-2005, 12:42 AM
It sucks someone on your left bet this flop. I'd just call, then maybe bet out on the turn on a safe card.

Given your line, I'd have bet out on the turn.

b

slavic
03-29-2005, 01:37 AM
Preflop I have too much hand with too many players in the pot to fold. Obviously we aren't raising and if I get limp reraised it's really going to suck, but hey we got in for 1 BB in a big multiway pot.

On the flop, outside of a flush draw this is really everything that one can hope for in a flop with KJ. I now dominate most of the hands I worry about the button raising, though I'm behind quite a few also. I checked to see what would happen, if I can face the field with a double bet I will.

The player to my left puts in a bet which ruins my first plan to some point. When the button only calls however there is a very high likely hood he has dominated over cards at this point. I value raise since there is a high likelihood that the UTG player is drawing in some fashion.

The turn card really should be a blank, unless you play the Muck 20/40 game on the weekend, were 33 and A2 both just made their hand and will wait to the river to checkraise and 3 bet each other. At this point the other players could put me on a draw or a made hand. A made hand would raise to get value, but so would any flush draw or straight flush draw in this game. If I check it really looks like a draw and I may get a draw or a weaker jack to bet. UTG obliges and I get a double bet in on the turn.

The river is a very nice card again, but I think check raising is just out of the question. Hands that I can checkraise have me beat a heck of a lot more than hands that will just call a bet. Note also that several hands that beat me likely will only call such at 67 and possibly AJ. I bet and UTG called with Ad5d.

Now when I look at UTG’s play I can really only find 1 mistake and I don’t even think it’s all that bad. Limping UTG is debatable, betting second pair top kicker into the field has a lot of merit, but calling the turn checkraise is just not good. Chekraises do really tend to tie people to a pot don't they?

DMBFan23
03-29-2005, 01:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If I check it really looks like a draw and I may get a draw or a weaker jack to bet. UTG obliges and I get a double bet in on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

DAMN IM GOOD

CallMeIshmael
03-29-2005, 01:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Chekraises do really tend to tie people to a pot don't they?

[/ QUOTE ]

I love that line.