PDA

View Full Version : How much of a tool am I?

threeonefour
03-28-2005, 04:53 PM
so my ex-girlfriend/s birthday was last week.

we dated for about 3 years but we broke up around dec. 2004

so anyway, my birthday was in january and she got me a present. (she bought me a shirt and some pants, i am not sure of the value but def. less than $100)

so I ask my ex what she wants for her birthday a couple weeks ago and she emails me a link to a $170 kate spade purse. keep in mind i am a poor college student and she is my ex.

so anyway, i flounder on it and i end up not getting her anything. she is in europe right now so any gift would have arrived late anyway and I am not able to ship the bag internationally from the site that gives me the best price. so i figure its not that big of a deal and that i will just send it to her parents and then they can take care of it from there...

at any rate, i am about to enter my credit card info right now. so am i tool? or is it ok because i am sending it late so that kind of makes up for an expensiveish gift?

basically we are trying to stay good friends. but it seems pretty sad/desperate (which i am not, at least i think so) to be spending triple digits on an ex. or am i just cheap?

M2d
03-28-2005, 05:00 PM
http://www.zettauction.com/pastauctions-farmequip/04-11-00-backhoe.jpg

she's an ex and she got you clothes.

BusterStacks
03-28-2005, 05:02 PM
I am well-versed in this area, and while I can't make your decision for you, I will say that you will regret it if you buy it.

chaas4747
03-28-2005, 05:05 PM
You are not a tool for buying the present. You are a tool for asking her what she wants in the first place. Move on.

LALDAAS
03-28-2005, 05:10 PM
Unless there is a noober in exchange for the gift I'll go with a big no here.

Tron
03-28-2005, 05:11 PM
Before reading the text, I'm going to say, because you're asking the question, you're a huge one. Now I'm going to read the post... We'll see if anything changes.

JGalt
03-28-2005, 05:18 PM
If you want to still be friends and you still enjoy her company, then go for it. If it's to expensive, which it seems it is, then get her something that you feel comfortable with.

I have bought gifts for ex's, friends on just any day of the week because I thought they would like it. Going half way though and getting something else will save you from feeling like a tool and still be a friend.

Tron
03-28-2005, 05:20 PM
I say that's far too much money to be spending... Send her a card.

Bluffoon
03-28-2005, 05:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
so my ex-girlfriend/s birthday was last week.

we dated for about 3 years but we broke up around dec. 2004

so anyway, my birthday was in january and she got me a present. (she bought me a shirt and some pants, i am not sure of the value but def. less than $100)

so I ask my ex what she wants for her birthday a couple weeks ago and she emails me a link to a $170 kate spade purse. keep in mind i am a poor college student and she is my ex.

so anyway, i flounder on it and i end up not getting her anything. she is in europe right now so any gift would have arrived late anyway and I am not able to ship the bag internationally from the site that gives me the best price. so i figure its not that big of a deal and that i will just send it to her parents and then they can take care of it from there...

at any rate, i am about to enter my credit card info right now. so am i tool? or is it ok because i am sending it late so that kind of makes up for an expensiveish gift?

basically we are trying to stay good friends. but it seems pretty sad/desperate (which i am not, at least i think so) to be spending triple digits on an ex. or am i just cheap?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it is a big mistake to ask a woman what she wants for a gift no matter her status. Pay attention to what she likes and select something yourself.

The whole idea of a gift is that it comes from you. If you ask what she wants you might as well just hand her the cash.

Soul Daddy
03-28-2005, 06:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
basically we are trying to stay good friends.

[/ QUOTE ]
Really? Is this even possible? I say no, both to my question and to the gift.

You will regret it. Most likely, you're expecting a certain reaction, which you will not get. Move on.

cardcounter0
03-28-2005, 06:21 PM
Major tool. However, since the girl wants a "Kate Spade purse" (whooooooo!), and expects a poor college student to buy it, then I would say that you deserve each other.

JGalt
03-28-2005, 06:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You will regret it. Most likely, you're expecting a certain reaction, which you will not get. Move on.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm still friends with any girl I've had a serious relationship with. It is possible.

siccjay
03-28-2005, 06:36 PM
Thats way too much.

It's the thought that counts with gifts and you didn't put any thought into this. (Because you asked what she wanted) If shes not a hoe then she will be happy with any gift you get her.

If you buy her this shes gonna think shes got you wrapped around her pinky.

The Yugoslavian
03-28-2005, 06:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]

If you buy her this she <font color="red"> knows </font> shes got you wrapped around her pinky.

[/ QUOTE ]

*nod*

Yugoslav

EliteNinja
03-28-2005, 08:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
http://www.zettauction.com/pastauctions-farmequip/04-11-00-backhoe.jpg

she's an ex and she got you clothes.

[/ QUOTE ]

j00 is a t00l.
If you bought the bag already, use it yourself. That's better than being a t00l, f00l.

Dead
03-28-2005, 08:35 PM
Don't give her anything.

Soul Daddy
03-28-2005, 08:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm still friends with any girl I've had a serious relationship with. It is possible.

[/ QUOTE ]
Cu-CAW!
Good friends? Buying each other gifts outside of your means good friends?

Bluffoon
03-28-2005, 08:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thats way too much.

It's the thought that counts with gifts and you didn't put any thought into this. (Because you asked what she wanted) If shes not a hoe then she will be happy with any gift you get her.

If you buy her this shes gonna think shes got you wrapped around her pinky.

[/ QUOTE ]

I often disagree with Jay but I couldnt have (didnt actually) said it better.