PDA

View Full Version : Ace with low kicker

Dariel86
03-28-2005, 04:15 PM
Is this the way to go, even if your kicker is as low as it is?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls.

Turn: (4 BB) J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, MP1 folds.

River: (6 BB) 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls.

Final Pot: 8 BB

QTip
03-28-2005, 04:23 PM
This isn't a low kicker. Not wonderful, but not low.

This hand is fine.

pokerkai
03-28-2005, 04:50 PM
I woulda raised preflop

QTip
03-28-2005, 05:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I woulda raised preflop

[/ QUOTE ]

Close one...I would probably wait for ATs to do so in the sb since I'll be OOP for the hand...

shadow29
03-28-2005, 05:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I woulda raised preflop

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't.

Fat Nicky
03-28-2005, 05:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I woulda raised preflop

[/ QUOTE ]

please explain why you would raise this hand knowing you will be out of position the rest of the hand?

Carmine
03-28-2005, 05:47 PM
My biggest concern here is the limps from UTG and UTG+1. If they are even half decent players I think ATo and to a lesser extent AJo are possible limping hands here. They fall between that crack (depending on the tightness of the game) of not good enough to raise upfront, but hard to fold them too. If these guys were first in from MP then many players will limp A/rag and raise AT, AJ.

In this hand I would not raise in worst position. I also would check/call the river. It really depends though on how loose the upfront players are IMO.

Fat Nicky
03-28-2005, 05:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I also would check/call the river. It really depends though on how loose the upfront players are IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

please don't check this river...

phalanx0
03-28-2005, 05:54 PM
why not?

DMBFan23
03-28-2005, 05:56 PM
sometimes I check the flop to mix it up, but this is a nice hand.

Despos
03-28-2005, 05:57 PM
How can you raise that preflop with such a bad position? More than likely you're not pushin anyone out, and you gotta play first on subsequent rounds.

ucfryan
03-28-2005, 06:25 PM
Only way to play it, nice hand.

Greg J
03-28-2005, 06:34 PM
I play A2s the same. Nice hand.

Greg J
03-28-2005, 06:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
why not?

[/ QUOTE ]
Because Hero probably has the best hand.

pokerkai
03-28-2005, 06:40 PM
Wow...im suprised im the minority here.

Heres the best reason to raise preflop...you very likely have the best hand. ESPECIALLY playing the donks at 2/4.

As for there being a possible AJ or AT limping utg. Yes thats a possibility, but its more likely to be an Axs type hand that YOU have dominated then it is likely theres AJ or AT. Your probably going to end up paying off that AJ or AT anyways because your likely to think your 9 is the best kicker.

As most of you have brought up, the position is the biggest concern here but i think the overall strength of my hand makes up for it. Not raising ATs would be a mortal sin here so i think A9s should fall in the white lie category of mistakes.

I think its close, and could probably be convinced otherwise but i like raising.

Carmine
03-28-2005, 06:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I also would check/call the river. It really depends though on how loose the upfront players are IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

please don't check this river...

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right. If you are gonna call might as well bet. I think by the river the only hand I still fear is AT. AJ would have likely raised you by now. What if we are raised on this river. I think we have to call. I forget how big the pot is on the river though.
I wish this site allowed you to see all previous posts as you are replying.

CallMeIshmael
03-28-2005, 06:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
why not?

[/ QUOTE ]

What happens if hero has the best hand, and other guy would have called? Hero misses a bet?

What happens if the other guy has A + better kicker? He bets for us.

Don't give them a free showdown OOP.

ThePenguin
03-28-2005, 06:50 PM
I would raise this with one, maybe two limpers, because I think I have a good chance of leading out and taking down a small pot if I don't hit the flop. Against three or more callers, I would usually call. I don't think either play will prove to be a losing one though. The important thing is that you are playing this hand.

Not betting this river would be very, very bad.

ThePenguin
03-28-2005, 06:56 PM
The pre-flop debate on this hand reminds me of one that I posted a few weeks ago. I had AJo in the BB and three players limp. I want to raise, and some posters said "good raise," and others said "bad raise." Again, being out of position was the concern of those that did not want to raise. Is position such a factor in this holding that you do not raise with the best hand?