PDA

View Full Version : Wisdom Teeth

Soul Daddy
03-28-2005, 03:35 PM
I am having 3 of my wisdom teeth cut out tomorrow. Anyone had this done? How long were you out of commission afterwards? I'm looking forward to taking a couple of days off of work, basking in the glow of painkillers.

offTopic
03-28-2005, 03:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am having 3 of my wisdom teeth cut out tomorrow. Anyone had this done? How long were you out of commission afterwards? I'm looking forward to taking a couple of days off of work, basking in the glow of painkillers.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had all four out in 1998, under general anesthesia, so I have no recollection of the procedure itself. The two lowers were impacted, and the surgeon had to make incisions in my gums to extract them.

After getting home, I realized I have no future as a pill-popping druggie, because the 0.5 Vicodin I took made me nauseous, so I spent the rest of the recuperation time taking simple Advil. Because of this, repacking the gauze is the most excruciating pain I've felt to date (I realize I have been lucky in this respect).

They're going to tell you to rinse with warm saltwater. It hurts a little, but do it - you don't want to get an infection. The pain should subside in a couple of days, and the "holes" in you jaw should completely fill in in a few months. I had mine done on a Thursday and was back at work on Monday.

JGalt
03-28-2005, 03:41 PM
I had all four taken out. Was out of commission for three days, although I did go to a friends cottage on the 2nd day and had a very hard time staying awake on percadan(sp?) on the ride up. I suggest you dont drive. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

jakethebake
03-28-2005, 03:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is something where different people tend to have very different experiences. I was lucky. I had all of mine done at once. I was in the Marine Corps and just about to get out, and figured I might as well have it done for free. No problem. I was on solid food a day later. But I've known quite a few people that developed problems (something to do with air pockets in the wound?) that were in pain and on soft food for a couple of weeks.

edit: The fun thing about have the Marine Corps do it was that it was done with a local rather than putting me under so I had the wonderful experience of getting to hear the saw, feel the hammer hit the chisel when they cracked the teeth, etc. At one point the dentist had his knee on my chest yanking with pliers.

TimM
03-28-2005, 03:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not all 4? I had all 4 removed on a Saturday. I took Monday off and was back to work on Tuesday. Get someone to drive you home after, of course. You will be in pretty bad shape the first day. They gave me some Vicodin ES.

dr_venkman
03-28-2005, 03:46 PM
I had all four out on the same day, under heavy anesthesia. Aside from the strange paranoia that the nurses were joking about me when I was asleep the procedure itself was unremarkable.

And then the anesthesia wears off. You should begin taking your pain killers before this happens. I imagine they'll tell you this too.

The hardest part was the 10 days afterwards keeping a wadded up ball of gauze in the back of my mouth. The sockets bled for 7 days straight. This was more than a year ago, and whenever the weather gets cold the scar tissue in my jaw aches.

Fun huh? You should get a second opinion. They make it out like this is a necessary procedure -- you know, to save you the trouble that "you will have" later on. I kind of have my doubts now. I think I'd be just as well off with my teeth, thank you.

If nothing else I can say this with conviction; "never again".

PS:
Darvocet is nice, but it gives me strange dreams.

PhatTBoll
03-28-2005, 03:51 PM
I had all four out at once about 3 years ago, and went under general anesthetic. I woke up right when the surgeon was in the middle of cracking one of them apart. He was saying, "I'm having some trouble getting this, it won't come out," as I was hearing and feeling this gross cracking sensation coming from deep in my mouth. I didn't feel any pain, but I wanted to let them know I was awake, so I opened my eyes and made some kind of noise. Then I heard him say, "go to sleep! go to sleep!", then the pssssh sound of more drugs. Then I woke up and it was over.

Make sure you rinse out those holes regularly. Not only can they get infected, but when you get a piece of food stuck in there, it can rot and stink for days before you finally figure out what the problem is.

The Yugoslavian
03-28-2005, 03:53 PM
Just make sure the assistant's name is Velvet and is smokin' hot.

Everyone I've talked to has reacted in different ways to having wisdom teeth pulled. My body didn't like the intrusion and it took me a few days before I was able to go into work. I know other people who have been able to go into work the next day.

Yugoslav

Soul Daddy
03-28-2005, 03:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why not all 4?

[/ QUOTE ]
I had one pulled a couple of years ago.

Soul Daddy
03-28-2005, 03:56 PM
God, this is going to suck. What can I do for nicotine? I'm guessing that popping in a dip is going to be a bad idea.

Also, will I be able to play poker? If not, I need to get to work on my Party bonus tonight.

Thanks to all for the advice. I'll let you know about the assistant. If her name isn't Velvet, it will be tomorrow.

jakethebake
03-28-2005, 03:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm guessing that popping in a dip is going to be a bad idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very bad idea.

CheckFold
03-28-2005, 03:58 PM
I had all 4 out about 4 years ago and actually opted for the local anesthetic, so my experience was pretty similar to jakethebake's. The top had come out normally, so they came right out, the bottom two were impacted so the oral surgeon was yanking with all his might. Maybe getting the local has something to do with recovering faster, because I was out playing basketball the same day. The empty sockets ached for a few weeks, but nothing a couple advil a day couldn't handle.

Porcupine
03-28-2005, 04:01 PM
I had all of mine out (2 were partially impacted) while on a IV drip. Went to sleep, next thing I know nurse says "everything went fine". I spent the rest of the day in a recliner alternating naps with watching TV. Felt pretty good the next day, but was careful and gradually worked my way up from soup to more solid foods. Never felt any real pain, so didn't need any of the pain medicine.

TimM
03-28-2005, 04:05 PM
I waited until it was very painful. They were impacted and there were gaps between the teeth and gums. Apparently I got an infection due to food getting trapped in there. The whole thing was not that big a deal. I ate ice cream and soup for a few days. Everything healed up well, and the stitches just came out by themselves. Afterwards it was easier to keep my breath fresh.

BTW, I now have tooth colored braces at age 38. I wish my parents had forced me to do this when I was a kid instead of just asking. Basically some of my front teeth were angled outward. It looked bad and they were useless for biting. I would have to bite with the side of my mouth. The wisdom teeth had to come out first before this could be fixed. It will suck for about a year but I think it will be worth it.

Anyway... take care of your teeth. Don't let things go until they become a problem.

Shajen
03-28-2005, 04:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is something where different people tend to have very different experiences. I was lucky. I had all of mine done at once. I was in the Marine Corps and just about to get out, and figured I might as well have it done for free. No problem. I was on solid food a day later. But I've known quite a few people that developed problems (something to do with air pockets in the wound?) that were in pain and on soft food for a couple of weeks.

edit: The fun thing about have the Marine Corps do it was that it was done with a local rather than putting me under so I had the wonderful experience of getting to hear the saw, feel the hammer hit the chisel when they cracked the teeth, etc. At one point the dentist had his knee on my chest yanking with pliers.

[/ QUOTE ]

You got the hammer?

They used a [censored] pair of pliers on me.

And they TOLD me they were taking them out.

I was dipping cope at the time. Had it done on a friday, early morning.

Friday evening I was drunk as hell with a huge dip in.

For some reason, the holes where the teeth were bleed for a really long time.*

/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I find it funny how people complain about getting their wisdom teeth removed and then needing 3 days to "recover".

Pansies. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

*yes, I am well aware of why they bleed for like 4 days. I probably had the thinnest blood of anyone in the barracks that week. I /images/graemlins/heart.gif the booze.

turnipmonster
03-28-2005, 04:14 PM
what does impacted mean? I have had my bottom two out but have to get my top two out, they're actually sort of extending beyond my other teeth. my exact feelings are boy, this is going to suck.

xorbie
03-28-2005, 04:16 PM
I just had 4 of mine taken out on Thursday. It still kind of hurts, and I can't eat that well. Painkillers are good though.

Soul Daddy
03-28-2005, 04:18 PM
source (http://www.animated-teeth.com/wisdom_teeth/t1_wisdom_tooth.htm)

"In dental terminology "impacted" means that a tooth has failed to emerge fully into its expected position. This may occur either because there is not room enough in the jaw for the tooth, or else because the angulation of the tooth is improper."

Two of the three I'm having removed are impacted. Good times.

TimM
03-28-2005, 04:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Painkillers are good though.

[/ QUOTE ]

They did nothing for me, other than ease the pain a little. I didn't see the attraction, so I gave the unused pills to a friend.

STLantny
03-28-2005, 04:21 PM
I had 4 of em that were impacted, and I dont really like veins and needles etc, so i didnt get put out, i just got the n02. I had them done on a friday at 2pm, and went to work unloading christmas trees on sunday night at 5pm. It affects ppl differently though. Just sleep a whole lot, is my suggestion.

jakethebake
03-28-2005, 04:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You got the hammer?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. First they cut into my gums to get to the tooth. Then cut the tooth with a saw. Then they stuck a chisel in and hammered on it until the tooth cracked in half. Then they got the pliers and yanked 'em out.

Soul Daddy
03-28-2005, 04:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just sleep a whole lot, is my suggestion.

[/ QUOTE ]
Done and done!

Shajen
03-28-2005, 04:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You got the hammer?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. First they cut into my gums to get to the tooth. Then cut the tooth with a saw. Then they stuck a chisel in and hammered on it until the tooth cracked in half. Then they got the pliers and yanked 'em out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gotta love the Navy doctors. Like they gave a [censored] about some Marine's wisdom teeth.

Good thing was about 2/3 of the way through the operation, the Doc shot me up again with the novacaine or whatever the hell it was...I got to talk like Bill Cosby for about 2 hours.

My boddomom libib. I can't feel my boddom libib.

Wish I'd gotten the N02.

ethan
03-28-2005, 05:08 PM
I had my top 2 taken out a few years ago, and "recovery" was waiting for the novocaine to wear off. They say the bottom ones are more problematic since they don't drain as well.

If you can get the nitrous, go for it. In fact, see if they'll give you 20 pounds to take home. I guarantee it'll make the next few days more pleasant /images/graemlins/smile.gif

jakethebake
03-28-2005, 05:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Gotta love the Navy doctors. Like they gave a [censored] about some Marine's wisdom teeth.

[/ QUOTE ]

At MCRD San Diego we were fortunate enough that several of the dentists were reservists that actually had civilian practices and were pretty darn good at what they did. In boot camp I actually slept through a root canal. Damn I musta been tired. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Most of the Marines I knew on Okinawa that had work done said that was not the case there. Fortunately the wisdom teeth were the only thing I had done there.

CrashPat
03-28-2005, 05:57 PM
I had mine extracted in 2002. All 4 were impacted, one of them was actually completely sideways. They put me out, pulled them, and I woke up in recovery. Had to have it done about 150 miles from home for insurance reasons, but by we got home the vicodin had kicked in. I never went off solid food, took one day off of work is all, and was back working. If you take a few days off of drinking and chewing tobacco you'll probably heal quickly. They prescribed an antibiotic as a precaution for me so I took that. The painkillers were not necessary after one or two days and I have almost no pain tolerance.

It did take almost 2 years for the rest of my teeth to move back and fill the gap from the wisdom teeth though. I still need to get a bunch of dental work done but I'm a poor uninsured college kid so it'll have to wait.

lu_hawk
03-28-2005, 06:12 PM
i got local anaesthesia and didn't feel too much afterwards except being a little woozy from the pain meds that i took. i was 100% the next day. don't get general anaesthesia it is for softies and you'll be out of order for a couple days at least.

chrisdhal
03-28-2005, 06:19 PM
My 16 year old had his taken out last Monday. He was knocked out and had all four taken out as well as another procedure (his 12 yr molars haven't come in yet, and he's already had his braces off, I'll be pissed if they screw up his teeth now...). He was pretty out of it for the rest of that day and the next. They gave him Vicodin and it helped a lot. He was basically OK by Wednesday, but took it easy. His swelling was gone by Friday. Whole procedure took less than 45 mins.

When I had mine out when I was 18 I was totally out of it for 3 days. It hit me hard.

TheIrishThug
03-28-2005, 06:41 PM
got all 4 out almost a yr ago. iv drip, so don't remember anything at the office. just a little bit when i was leaving. i surpisingly didn't bleed much. but i made up for that with the swelling. got them out on fri and the swelling was still noticable on wed.
as for the painkillers, i got Oxycodine. so i had one of those every so often and was fine. sat infront of the tv with an ice pack and basiclly watch family guy from start to finish. but if u think u don't really need one don't take it. i was in school and the drugs kicked in so i wasn't getting anything done for a good hr.

Thebram
03-28-2005, 06:46 PM
I had 4 happy wisdom teeth, until my 3rd year dental student girlfriend decided it would be fun to 'clean' them.
Which led to a quite painful infection, so I had to have them out.

On the plus side, they told me that I couldn't keep the teeth once they were extracted, but they did allow her to take them when she asked. Two of them had chunks of bone attached to the roots, which was pretty cool.

I have found that I have to chew longer now, due to having fewer teeth.

SomethingClever
03-28-2005, 07:13 PM
I had 3 out back in 2000. I was more worried about the IV than anything else... the thought of having a needle dangling out of my arm gives me the heebie-jeebies.

But when they stuck it in and told me to count backwards, I was out like a light.

I watched Three Kings and ate ice cream when I got home... to this day, I can't remember a damn thing about that movie.

Slacker13
03-28-2005, 07:43 PM
I just had a few removed a few months ago. I was under anesthetic (paid $780 for this and it was worth every penny) and was pretty much miserable for 3 days. My mom had hers removed and she was in bed for a week, my dad had his removed and he was eating pizza that night. Everyone reacts differently.

rusty JEDI
03-28-2005, 07:49 PM
I had all 4 done on a thursday under general anasthesia. I felt find and everything was good when I went back to work Monday. Then something happened and I had the most massive jaw ache the next few days, and it was absolutely unbnearable. My dentist had gone on vacation for that week so i never went to see him until he got back. He said I had dry socket and should have gone to see a dentist.

It was definitely the most painful experience of my life.

rJ

The Dude
03-28-2005, 07:58 PM
I had all four pulled 6 months ago. From the time I walked through the doors at the oral surgeon's office to the time I walked out was less than an hour.

I took one dose of Percodan right when I left, then never anything else. I worked (poker) that night, then went bowling, then ate a nice porterhouse at Outback that night.

I think who you go to makes a HUGE difference in how hard the procedure is on your body. Also, don't be a gine.

EliteNinja
03-28-2005, 08:04 PM
I had 2 taken out with local numbing in 2 separate procedures. They both were underneath my gums and were growing sideways.

The first one took 2 hours. The root broke off sideways in my gums and it took a while to dig out. Afterwards, it got infected and I had a high fever on the subsequent days. It took about 3 days before I could eat ANYTHING. The range of motion of my jaw was from closed-to-1millimeter open. I also had a sore throat so bad that my body would convulse every time I swallowed. Tylenol 3 only worked for like an hour each time I took it. I didn't sleep for 2 days because of the pain. Bleeding for a week.

I was so afraid after that, that I waited a year to get the 2nd one out.

The 2nd one was about the same without the fever/sorethroat/infection.

No fun.
I still have 2 more. I hope they don't grow.