PDA

View Full Version : Lealization of Marijuana in NV heats up.

Clarkmeister
10-15-2002, 05:58 PM
Seen lots of pro-pot ads on TV lately. Saw the following article on the PR battle between the two sides and thought some of you might find it interesting. Good quote from the Drug Czar at the bottom.

http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_home/2002/Oct-15-Tue-2002/news/19844865.html

Jimbo
10-15-2002, 06:07 PM
Clarkmeister,

I believe this ad missed the real point. After you have smoked one or two joints who is gonna remember how many they rolled anyway? /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Jimbo

Clarkmeister
10-15-2002, 06:16 PM
1 or 2 joints? Hell, I toke up maybe 2-3 times a year, and I guarantee you that 1/3 is plenty for me. 2 joints and I'd never wake up.

I find the idea that a joint is even remotely comparable to regular cigarettes hilarious. One joint is a freaking 12 pack of beer, if not more.

ripdog
10-15-2002, 07:02 PM
I haven’t smoked pot since I turned 20 (I’m 36 now), so my recollection may be a bit hazy here. I recall an eighth of an ounce taking up maybe an inch (probably a tad less) of the bottom of a standard zip-lock bag. So if we allow for substantial error and agree that it’s really only a half-inch, then 1 ounce would easily fill the bag to a decent thickness. Three of these bags are way more than anyone needs for personal use. I didn’t smoke joints because even way back in the early eighties, the pot was good enough that one or two good BT’s was enough to get good and high (but 1 BT was about a half a joint, to be fair). Also, I found that if I got good and high, it didn’t matter how much more I smoked because I didn’t get any higher.

Is one joint the equivalent of a 12 pack? Maybe more. I could drink 12 beers and still be able to find my way to bed. 12 to 14 hours of sleep would then be followed by 24 to 36 hours of massive hangover. So ripdog doesn’t do that anymore. Funny thing, though, I never had a hangover until I quit smoking pot. Also, I never had a hangover from pot. Cotton mouth and black lung were the only side effects that I can recall. If I had a choice, I’d still smoke pot before I’d drink alcohol (I can still feel the pain of those hangovers). For now I choose niether.

Three ounces is a lot of pot, no doubt. The “gateway drug” comment bothers me. Again, I point to alcohol as the real gateway drug.

Clarkmeister
10-15-2002, 07:08 PM
In college, when I did pot much more than 2x a year, I also noticed that it had an anti-hangover effect. I wonder why that is.

I also agree that 3oz is an awful lot for "personal use". I mean, whats the real difference between 90 and 250 joints? Both are more than any semi-responsible person could use in a year on their own.

I do, however feel that 1oz is reasonable.

HDPM
10-15-2002, 07:12 PM
One stupid quote in the article was that you could get high all day and drive around. Very wrong. Also, Nevada has a ridiculous vehicular manslaughter law. Anybody who smokes pot in Nevada better be really careful. You can end up doing hard time if you are in an accident with any pot in your system. You can have pot in your system and not be under the influence. One joint 3 weeks before an accident could land you in the pen. (Insert disclaimer about not giving legal advice over the internet, not licensed in Nevada, you do everything at your risk, etc... here.)It won't be a good idea to smoke MJ there even if its legalized. Check out the prior coverage in the RJ on the lady who wiped out the juveniles on that work detail.

HDPM
10-15-2002, 07:13 PM
Hey, didn't Nate Newton have like 100 kilos for personal use? /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Boris
10-15-2002, 07:18 PM
Well Nate's a pretty big guy so you have allow him a little more leeway.

brad
10-15-2002, 07:55 PM
macallan single malt scotch leaves no hangover.

Bill Murphy
10-15-2002, 09:08 PM
"Gammick said if the question passes and becomes law, "I can toke up in front of my kids in the house, drive to work, go into the privacy of my office and toke all day, get in my car and go home and do it in front of my kids again." "

Ya mean like how ya can drink that legalized booze all day in the privacy of your office at work? Amazing there's still so many Reefer Madness clowns like this out there.

However, substitute "play poker online" for "toke" and I'm there, dude.... /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Budz rule OK /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif , pity about the paranoia that comes w/the high once ya turn 20 or so.. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

FWIW, as someone w/extensive personal & observational exp. w/both, I can absolutely state that booze is far worse, on all levels, than pot.

Anybody here think that booze or cigs would get approved by the FDA today, if they were just invented?

Vehn
10-15-2002, 10:48 PM
I haven't smoked up in 5 years. I'm 26. Jesus I feel old...

(as I alt tab back to my 7CS h/l game...)

Clarkmeister
10-16-2002, 12:13 AM
I'm 30. As a reference for 3 ounces, I bought a quarter ounce almost exactly a year ago, and I still have about half of it left.

Don't take much at my age!

eMarkM
10-16-2002, 11:31 AM
Anybody here think that booze or cigs would get approved by the FDA today, if they were just invented?

Hell, Asprin would never make it past today's FDA, let alone booze and cigs.

eMarkM
10-16-2002, 11:43 AM
FWIW, as someone w/extensive personal & observational exp. w/both, I can absolutely state that booze is far worse, on all levels, than pot.

Reminds me of the late, great comedian Bill Hicks and his very funny bit on the War on Drugs. I managed to find some of this "War on Drugs" bits on the net:

http://media.salon.com/mp3s/bhicks1.mp3
http://media.salon.com/mp3s/bhicks2.mp3

MCS
10-28-2002, 05:56 AM
I bought a quarter ounce almost exactly a year ago, and I still have about half of it left.

Wow. That should be long gone by now. I'm disappointed in you /forums/images/icons/grin.gif