PDA

View Full Version : Planning a West Coast golf trip

Rick Diesel
03-28-2005, 01:55 PM
My father will be retiring next May (2006) and I am planning to take him on a golf trip to the West Coast as his retirement gift. We will probably be there for 7 days, and plan on golfing 6 of the 7 days.

Without a doubt, we will be playing Pebble Beach, Spyglass Hill and Torrey Pines. Now the question is, without regard to price, what are the other 3 courses that we should play?

Any courses in California, or remotely close to Cali (no more than 3-4 hour drive) are options. My dad is not much of a gamblor, so I would prefer to stay away from Vegas if possible.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Rick Diesel
03-28-2005, 01:59 PM
Also, how about a YAH or NAY on the following courses if you have played them:

Troon North - Scottsdale, AZ
PGA West - La Quinta, CA
Pasatiempo - Santa Cruz, CA
Shadow Creek, Las Vegas, NV

Thanks again!

moondogg
03-28-2005, 02:01 PM
Stop by a few FatBurgers.

morgan180
03-28-2005, 02:06 PM
play la quinta
play sand piper in santa barbara

HDPM
03-28-2005, 02:09 PM
Only one I have played of those is PGA West. I played the stadium course. Nice facility and a nice course. Best Pete Dye course I have played. Of course, as I posted yesterday I am not a big fan of the condo thing and the cart culture, but I had a good time playing the course. If you pick the right set of tees it is playable. Out of the others I would most like to play pasatiempo.

M2d
03-28-2005, 02:10 PM
some really nice courses on both sides of the calneva border. Not the top name courses, but really pretty and well kept. plus, you'd be playing at high altitude.

Rick Diesel
03-28-2005, 02:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
some really nice courses on both sides of the calneva border. Not the top name courses, but really pretty and well kept. plus, you'd be playing at high altitude.

[/ QUOTE ]

High altitude just means that my shanks will travel further away from the hole.

Asufiji2004
03-28-2005, 02:37 PM
Pelican Hill (or Bay, somethin like that)in Newport Beach
Dove Canyon In O.C.
Bear Creek in Temecula (Nicklaus Design)
Torry Pines in La Jolla