PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Bike recommendation

Boris
03-28-2005, 01:50 PM
I'm going to use the winnings from my next 1 rack upswing to buy a new mountain bike. I did a quick walk through of a local bike shop and it looks like I can get some good bike for $500. I'm willing to go up to a grand but would prefer to spend less. Any particular brands you recommend?

JGalt
03-28-2005, 01:55 PM
For that much, pretty much anything that looks nice to you. In that range, they are all the same except in look. A grand may be able to buy you something decent but not great. Best bet is to buy a used bike off someone that is selling because they never use it.

benfranklin
03-28-2005, 02:01 PM
At any given price point, all the major manufacturers are going to have the same quality tires, brakes, shifters, etc. The major decision is which feels right to you, which one fits your body. That's mainly a function of frame design, and the only way to find out is to ride them and buy the one that feels best.

jakethebake
03-28-2005, 02:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm willing to go up to a grand...

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a bike right? With two wheels? No built-in TV or satellite navigation system or anything? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Duke
03-28-2005, 02:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm willing to go up to a grand...

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a bike right? With two wheels? No built-in TV or satellite navigation system or anything? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Where were you in the "$100 for a baseball bat" thread?

12 years ago when I bought the last bike I had it ran me $900. And that wasn't for much of a bike.

Yes, we know that you can get sunglasses for $10 and shoes for $15 too.

~D

jakethebake
03-28-2005, 02:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Where were you in the "$100 for a baseball bat" thread?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh I was there!!! I was also there for both $200 jean threads.

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, we know that you can get sunglasses for $10 and shoes for $15 too.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think my sunglasses cost quite that much, but I do pay up for shoes. I might even go as high as 25 or thirty dollars. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Actually I do pay up for shoes, especially running shoes that help with my chronic plantar fasciitis.

ddollevoet
03-28-2005, 02:23 PM
Mountain Bike Magazine's 2004 Buyer;s Guide (http://www.mountainbike.com/bikes/0,4883,,00.html)

I think you want to click on "Casual Rider."

Personally, I like the GT Avalanche 0.5.

swede123
03-28-2005, 02:29 PM
At your budget range, your absolute best option is looking for a gently used bike, like the previous poster mentioned. This is pretty much hit-and-miss, however, so you may not get lucky this way.

The next best option is looking for last year's models at various bike shops. Usually they change little from year to year, mostly new colors etc, and once the bike shops get the new models they try to unload the old ones pretty cheap, just like with cars.

As far as brands go you really need to look at the individual components rather than the name on the frame. Most bikes in the $500-1000 range will have similar components, like a previous poster mentioned, so then it comes down to overall fit and comfort.

Personally I love the geometry of Schwinn's bikes, they just seem to fit me better than most other brands. That being said, my current bike is a Cannondale, as they make XXL frames in their mid-high range bikes (which is a must when you're 6'8").

Look at Schwinn, Giant, Specialized and Trek as they all have quite a selection of bikes in your price range.

Best of luck.

Swede

Boris
03-28-2005, 06:25 PM
Sweet link! thanks. I'm looking at a Marin Palisades Trail. Only problem is the local bike shops wants $150 more than the suggested price listed in the magazine review.

jaym
03-28-2005, 06:58 PM
I just got done with this whole process in Feb.

I ended up with a Specialized Hardrock Pro Disc. I actually decided to spend a little more than I had originally budgeted to step up to full Deore components on the drivetrain and also got Avid discs instead of the Hayes discs that come on most in that price range. I paid $600 +tax.

Bottom line is find somethin that fits you well and feels good. Most of the bikes in that range have really similar components. I'll also say that I liked the Ironhorse Warrior Comp and the GT Avalanche 1.0 MTBR.com is also another nice place to read reviews.

Good luck.

ddollevoet
03-29-2005, 10:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Sweet link! thanks. I'm looking at a Marin Palisades Trail. Only problem is the local bike shops wants $150 more than the suggested price listed in the magazine review.

[/ QUOTE ]

Find the price you want to pay online somewhere. Bring in the ad and tell them that you'd like to purchase the bike from them for the same price. "you could order online, but would prefer to buy it from their shop so that you can bring it in for maintenance.

My understanding is that bike shops do not make a lot of money on bikes, but rather on tune-ups and other miscellaneous maintenance work (and accessories). If they are smart, I think that they'll work with you. They'd be building a customer relationship.

Here is one at $499 (http://gallery.bcentral.com/GID4038672P3587313-Mountain-Bikes-Catalog/Marin-2004-Mountain-Bikes/Marin-Palisades-Trail-2004.aspx)

Boris
03-29-2005, 12:12 PM
nice. I prefer the 15" frame but could probably get by with 17".