PDA

View Full Version : Oops, jumped the gun?

NatalieR
03-28-2005, 01:12 PM
Hi everyone, this is my first post. Forgive any etiquette blunders.

0.50/1.00 NL 9-player Golden Palace $100 buy-in. Hero (me) ($190) in MP2 with 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif. About 5 limpers around to the SB ($240) who raises to $5. I call, and LP ($90) calls.

SB is very familiar to me. Agressive and consistent winner. LP caller is unknown. I'm usually tight aggressive when good and tight passive when bad. In the midst of a rush before this hand, with table amazed/frustrated that I've won a few good/lucky hands in a row. That's why I called (and to mix up my table image a bit).

Pot about $20. Flop comes 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. SB bets $20, an untraditionally large amount for this table, even considering the pot. I call. LP calls.

Pot $80. Turn is 6/images/graemlins/club.gif. SB checks. What should I do?

My action and result in white below. Thanks for any advice.

<font color="white">
I bet $40 (again quite unusual at this table). All fold. Should I have checked to draw a turn bet from LP or a river bet from SB, then push? SB later chats that he folded KK.
</font>

Thanks, NatalieR

kurto
03-28-2005, 01:26 PM
1) personally, I'd never call a raise from MP with 2-3 suited. Beyond that....
2) I think your turn play is standard.
3) I don't think he had kings. Unless you have some obvious tell that they could figure out you had a monster. I can't imagine Kings giving up that easy.

Ghazban
03-28-2005, 01:28 PM
I would have raised the flop. You want to push out a higher flush draw and (as you saw!) any card that makes your hand scares away everybody else-- better to make a big semibluff raise. If you get called, you have 15 outs twice (9 spades, the 3 other aces and the 3 other sixes) against a made hand and, if you're not called, you pick up a decent sized pot right away.

On a side note, this table sounds extremely weak-tight. I'd be betting every scare card and representing strength almost every hand until people start looking me up.

Tilt
03-28-2005, 01:38 PM
Welcome to the forum!

Calling with 23s is usually a bad idea here I think. Your tabel image probably wont let you get paid well enough when you hit to justify the many times you miss. Plus, its often a weak straight hand which gets you in trouble, or for that matter a very weak flush (especially if the board 4 flushes).

That being said, when you flop the double draw, I'd make a good raise. You have sucha good chance of winning the pot that raising is warranted, and in my experience you need to get the money in before one of your draws hits to get paid off.

Tilt
03-28-2005, 01:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

On a side note, this table sounds extremely weak-tight. I'd be betting every scare card and representing strength almost every hand until people start looking me up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats correct, unless you are a fairly new player...in which case reserve such tactics until you have a few thousand flops under your belt. New players have a very hard time learning how to be aggressive like this without getting overinvolved in a pot thats too big for their hand.

Ghazban
03-28-2005, 01:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats correct, unless you are a fairly new player...in which case reserve such tactics until you have a few thousand flops under your belt. New players have a very hard time learning how to be aggressive like this without getting overinvolved in a pot thats too big for their hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point, Tilt. I agree that a little experience playing straightforward poker is necessary before splashing around too much with this style.

Los Feliz Slim
03-28-2005, 02:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
1) personally, I'd never call a raise from MP with 2-3 suited

[/ QUOTE ]

Sphere
03-28-2005, 02:57 PM
The SB may have noticed the table seemed weak as well and expect a large bet on the flop could result in a win immediately, allowing him/her to avoid being drawn out by the possible flush or straight. With a raise to $5 pre-flop however, I doubt SB put any callers on the straight draw.

I would say your play on the turn was splendid. LP may have been drawing on a better flush and the $40 bet pushed him/her out. I am surprised that SB would let KK go so easily unless there was an unusual tell to signify AA JJ or the straight.

BobboFitos
03-28-2005, 11:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

not to say the above isn't good advice, it is, but i have from time to time called a raise with 23s. hey, it's a suited connector. I dont think I would limp/call with 23s though.

BoxTree
03-29-2005, 06:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

not to say the above isn't good advice, it is, but i have from time to time called a raise with 23s. hey, it's a suited connector. I dont think I would limp/call with 23s though.

[/ QUOTE ]

New players should fold 32s in MP. Unless you're just that good.

NatalieR
03-29-2005, 10:31 AM
Just to close this subthread: I didn't say I was a new player, just a new poster. In the most recent 20,000 hands I've probably played 23s twice. Thanks for the advice, though. Having played it and hit, my concern was how to extract maximum (expected) chips from the other players.
Thanks to all those who responded!