PDA

View Full Version : Reccomendation of some good Golf clubs.

STLantny
03-28-2005, 01:01 PM
Ive golfed off an on for about 5-6 years, Im 22. I usually get out on average, 10 times a year, but mainly its just a booze-fest with my friends, but I have the time and the money now, thanks to poker, to learn the game right. I was wondering, where I should start as far as getting my swing corrected, even though I think its Ok? What kinds of clubs should I look at buying, and how much should I be spending as a semi-beginner. But I would like to keep these for awhile so I dont mind spending a lot. Also, can someone explain why, I can drive with a smaller head driver, way better than an over-sized driver. I can hit my fairway woods really well, but put a big bertha in my hand and I cant hit it.

eric5148
03-28-2005, 01:12 PM
If you're going to splurge on anything, make it lessons from a pro, not clubs or goofy training aids.

You can get a good set of irons for $300-$400. There's no point in saying what brands are better than others (unless they're knockoffs). All the major brands are hardly different, in terms of quality. It's all about what you like and what's best for your swing. Go to a pro or a Golfsmith and get custom fitted.

As for the driver problem, if you're a semi-beginner you'd be better off not hitting a driver at all. Tee off with a 3-wood. But I know you probably won't do this, you wanna kill the ball, so my advice would be to shorten the shaft, or go to a higher lofted driver. Also make sure the shaft is the proper flex.

STLantny
03-28-2005, 01:15 PM
Actually, when I have a few bucks riding on the game, I have been teeing off with my woods, just because I can hit them so so much better and I hate losing, so I dont let the ego get in the way. Ill look into lessons too. Thanks.

slickpoppa
03-28-2005, 01:32 PM
At this point, lessons from a good teaching pro would be much more valuable than clubs. The best clubs in the world won't help if you don't know how to use them. If you've got money to burn on both, then go for it, but I would spend on the lessons first.

FatMan
03-28-2005, 01:35 PM
Get a cheap set of clubs (under $200 for the set) and learn to hit them well. Once you learn how to play, you can make a more informed decision as to what kind of clubs you like. For me it is all about feel. I have to hit a club to see how it fits my swing. I just bought a new driver, Big Bertha, and I hit 5 or 6 different drivers ranging from $49.99 up to $499. I hit the others OK, but I just hammered every shot with the BB. I got it for $149 which was middle of the pack. You may love a set of clubs now, but as you learn and you swing changes, i.e. you will learn to swing harder, you may not like them. Take the money you save and spend them on lessons. Also if you decide to give up the game you won't have a $800 set of clubs sitting in the closet.

i wanna be me
03-28-2005, 01:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you're going to splurge on anything, make it lessons from a pro, not clubs or goofy training aids.

You can get a good set of irons for $300-$400. There's no point in saying what brands are better than others (unless they're knockoffs). All the major brands are hardly different, in terms of quality. It's all about what you like and what's best for your swing. Go to a pro or a Golfsmith and get custom fitted.

As for the driver problem, if you're a semi-beginner you'd be better off not hitting a driver at all. Tee off with a 3-wood. But I know you probably won't do this, you wanna kill the ball, so my advice would be to shorten the shaft, or go to a higher lofted driver. Also make sure the shaft is the proper flex.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this may be the most helpful/insightful post that I've seen on this board. Very well done sir.

HDPM
03-28-2005, 02:17 PM
Go to a pro for lessons first as others have said. Find a pro to fit you with clubs. After he sees you ask about what might work. Get fitted. IMO you are in a good position to learn to swing a club with clubs that fit. Don't just go buy some. Get them fit in conjunction with lessons.

texaspimp
03-28-2005, 02:26 PM
I cannot agree more with the folks who say get custom fitted for clubs. This may help your swing more than anything else, except for lessons.

Golfsmith is one of the best resources a golfer has. Use it!! I would also never get swayed by the marketing efforts of the big brands. Two-five year old models are just as effective for the beginner/intermediate golfer as state of the art equipment IMHO.

Please post your decision. Good luck.

bd8802
03-28-2005, 02:30 PM
I have not been able to play much the last couple years. I hope this changes this summer. The last summer I was able to play consistently I ended with a 1.2 handicap. So you can use my level of play as an indicator of how much credit you want to give my post.

1) Lesson from a pro

If you are serious about getting better and want to put the time into making the suggestions a pro gives you work, then this is the best advice given. Plan on spending a lot of time at the range to be able to shape the new swing into mucsel memory. It sucks. You will be a worse golfer in the short-term, but if the pro is good, long term you will be a better golfer.

2) Irons

I do not agree with the "they are all the same" mentality. Each club and shaft combination is going to give you a little different performance. Your best bet is to get a club that is 1) appealing to your eye 2) you feel good hitting. Depending on your commitment to becoming better, I think you can go down two roads for irons.

i) game improvement

Almost every major manufacturer of clubs makes a set that is geared to be uber-forgiving and easy to hit. They will allow for you to have a less than perfect swing and a more erratic ball striking pattern without noticing it as much when you hit the ball. Ping and Callaway seem to lead the way in this field, but others make solid game improvement clubs. I think you should start with a set like this. When I started playing I had a set of Ping Eye2's. So I will plug their newest game improvement iron.

http://www.pinggolf.com/products_irons_g2.html

BTW, the drawbacks of these types of irons is workability of your shot. More than likely it will be hard to hit a little baby draw or fade on command. You will have a set ball flight (if you swing is consistent).

ii) swing improvement

When your swing gets better or you get to a point that you want to force your swing to become better; you should look at a swing improvement club. These clubs will require you to be a consistent striker of the ball. You are not going to get away with mis-hits. Most manufacturers make these clubs too. I am currently playing a set of Ben Hogan Apex+ irons. If you choose this road, you are going to need to go the range and hit a lot of balls. My suggestion to you is to think about getting a set of these type of irons NEXT. Start with something that will improve your game while you work on your swing.

3) Inability to hit a driver

This is something that I am VERY familiar with. I went years without being able to hit a driver consistently. What I have come to realize is that the shaft makes all the difference in the world. The stock shaft that come in almost every driver (sans Titleist as I think they have started to put Fujikura Speeder shafts in stock) are horrible. Depending on your swing, getting the right shaft put into your driver will make all the difference. I personally prefer the Fujikura Speeders and the Grafalloy Pro-Lite shafts. I generate quite a bit of club head speed, so the extra firmness of both of these shafts help me get the maximum distance and control out of the driver.

I have been a fan of the Titleist drivers for many years now. Seems like a lot of people are playing Taylor Made R Series currently. I have never felt comfortable over one of those drivers. I absolutely hate the feel and the sound Calloway drivers make.

Here is my suggestion with drivers. Hit a lot of them. Hit them with different shalfs. Talk to someone knowledgeable about the clubs and shafts. You will find one that you can hit.

There is my rant. This makes me want to get out to the links even more.

/bd

Benal
03-28-2005, 02:46 PM
I recommend buying top of the line. They'll last a lifetime. Get them fitted, and regripped every year.

My bag:

Ping TiTec Driver
Ping TiTec 3W
Ping I3 irons (2-PW)
Titliest vokey 56 and 60 degree wedges. (trusty rusty)
Ping belly putter.

God I cant wait to get out there this year.