PDA

View Full Version : 98s totally misplayed on every street?

Chris Daddy Cool
03-28-2005, 11:38 AM
a pretty bad 6 handed 40/80 game, this is going to be my last couple orbits before i book in my modest win.

my image in this game has been squeaky clean without having to show down any of my crappy blind steals and floating hands.

i limp UTG with 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif. a tough-tricky-aggressive playing middle aged dude raises next up, coldcalled by a semi-decent button. blinds fold out. I 3-bet. UTG+1 calls, button calls. 3 to the flop for 10.5 small bets.

Flop: J /images/graemlins/heart.gif9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

I bet, UTG+1 raises, button folds. I call.

Turn: 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

I bet. UTG+1 raises. I call.

River: 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif

I bet.

Totally
Misplayed
On
Every
Street?

HoldEm_Hero
03-28-2005, 12:06 PM
Unless I have no comprehension of this game, why do you lead the turn after being raised and lead the river again? This play seems situational to me. What was your read on this player? Did you not put him on an over pair at all with his PF raise or would he play AK this way? I don't like this line, I probably would check call the flop and check raise the turn if you believe its AK. Let me know.
On a side note, I love your posts usually Chris and look forward to reading more. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

PoBoy321
03-28-2005, 12:18 PM
The flop bet is fine. The turn bet after getting raised is ok if you think that the villain is capable of making semi-bluff raises, but I would check/call the river rather than leading.

Paluka
03-28-2005, 12:33 PM
I like your flop play.

philnewall
03-28-2005, 12:57 PM
I hate it all, except for the flop.

DcifrThs
03-28-2005, 01:21 PM
why not call flop raise and c'r turn. that LOOKS like you have the hand you're saying you do and you have some outs.

-Barron

gonores
03-28-2005, 01:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
why not call flop raise and c'r turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, what he said...or 3bet the flop and continue to pound mercilessly.

TheDelChop
03-28-2005, 01:29 PM
Yeah, I agree, you need to check raise the turn to properly respresent the big hand, although, I suppose you could theoretically three bet the turn, but I usually save that play for when I really do have the large over pair. Why not check-call the river? He's only gonna call you with a better hand and he may bluff with A-K if you give him the chance. I think inducing bluffs on the end is a skill that very few people ever use in these forums.

BigSkiRace
03-28-2005, 03:12 PM
Is it just me or does any one else not like the flop play I think I would 3-bet the flop, check raise turn? Ha

moot
03-28-2005, 04:44 PM
Reverse trifecta?

ggbman
03-28-2005, 04:55 PM
First you should have folded preflop. If you going to play the hand, limp re-raising against 2 other players is a bad idea, maybe if it was just one. The flop lead is obovious, but when you get raised you need to fold the turn unimproved. Why on earth would you lead? Did you think he was folding? you know you have 5 outs, so its a check fold, or if you want to play poorly, a check call. Leading and calling a raise makes NO SENSE. And then you lead the river. Do you think he's folding any hand that beats you now? Whats with this line?

rtrombone
03-28-2005, 07:23 PM
Come on man, just fold preflop. I'm curious to hear why you played this hand. You're about to leave, so why bother creating a loose image? If you wanted to take advantage of your tight image, raising preflop is better, right? Or was the game aggressive enough that you were pretty sure you'd be able to limp-reraise? I don't have to tell you how high-variance a play this is.

Villain is tough and aggressive. I take it that he is capable of laying down a jack or TT if you can convince him you have an overpair. Does he aggressively value-bet on the river? The way I see it, you can: (1) check-raise the turn and bet the river; (2) 3-bet the flop, bet the turn and check-raise the river; or (3) check-raise the turn AND the river. The only line I don't like is 3-betting the flop and betting the turn and river because it's very hard, even for a good player, to release TPGK vs. a probable overpair. You've gotta really make him believe.

Against an aggressive but good opponent (2) may be the best. But seriously, fold preflop.

Chris Daddy Cool
03-28-2005, 08:00 PM
i really played this hand like an idiot.

if i'm going to limp-reraise and hit my hand i really shoulda 3-bet the flop or 3-bet the turn.

anyways, villian had 98s and we chopped. still doesn't mean i didn't played it like an idiot.