PDA

View Full Version : A question for Jason Strasser (strassa2)

maddo
03-28-2005, 10:05 AM
Jason, I was watching a bit of the final table in the 25K $11+R this morning, and recognised your name from 2+2. Can I ask what your strategy is for the rebuy period? I see lots of players rebuying like mad and gambling with ATC in order to get a big stack for the remainder of the tournament. Is this the way you played to get ahead? Or did you play more conservatively and built up from a smaller stack?

Cheers.

Jason Strasser
03-29-2005, 03:06 PM
Uh, you can use PM for this next time.

In rebuys I think I gamble it up a lot more than most 2+2ers. In the 11 rebuy sometimes I'll just go nuts and shove tons of hands. My guideline is though that once I get pask 6k I slow down, especially right before the rebuy period ends... It sucks to lose a big pot right before the rebuy period ends.

But nothing is won in a rebuy in the first hour. I've had over 40k chips and not even made the money.

-Jason

Pulplife
03-29-2005, 03:19 PM
Althought the post was directed towards you, I think it is a good subject to discuss.

I do not know how I feel about becoming a 'maniac' during the rebuy period. I am certainly not saying this is incorrect play, but I can't seem to bring myself to play this way.

Actually, I love when there are a couple of players with this strategy in mind at my table early in a rebuy tourney. They tend to fatten my stack up quite a bit when I stick to premium hands.

But I also watch some of these guys build a monster stack fairly quickly. Then when they change gears after the break, there are still a couple of donks that give them loose calls thinking that they're big LAGs.

So, I see the pro's to this approach...but haven't had the willingness to go with it.

Anyone else struggle with trying this strategy (sorry for the hijack /images/graemlins/blush.gif).

ZBTHorton
03-29-2005, 03:26 PM
You have to be more willing to take chances in order to win a rebuy.

I'm not saying push until you have 6K...but if you've got a strong hand...throw it in there.

I set aside at least 6 buy-ins + add-on for every rebuy I play. If I can't afford them, I don't play them.

Pulplife
03-29-2005, 03:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not saying push until you have 6K...but if you've got a strong hand...throw it in there.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't find this the difficult part, as I am very aggressive when I feel that I am ahead. It isn't that I am afraid to risk it all early in a rebuy tourney, it's that I am hesitant to go all-in with any two cards (like I have seen from some players).

Any two usually seems more like Ax, Kx, Q9o, J10, etc. I have made final tables using a tighter strategy and doubling through the maniacs early on, but am intrigued by those that are sucessful with the LAG approach early on...then tightening up.

jackdaniels
03-29-2005, 04:12 PM
I've seen this strategy employed using MUCH worse cards than the ones you listed, including 74o and 82o...

I think I read a Jennicide post describing this as "table inflation" where the objective isn't only to get lucky and double up quick, but also to drop a LOT of chips on the table in the hopes that it doesn't break up (or you get moved), thus enabling a good player to get those chips back later.

PukaPlaya
03-29-2005, 05:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think I read a Jennicide post describing this as "table inflation" where the objective isn't only to get lucky and double up quick, but also to drop a LOT of chips on the table in the hopes that it doesn't break up (or you get moved), thus enabling a good player to get those chips back later.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a strategy that Daniel Negreanu uses as well in rebuys from what I have heard. There is a story about last years WSOP I think where he rebought for an "insane" amount of times. 27 times in the 1000.00 rebuy event in which he came in 2nd, even with all the rebuys he still profited 77k or so. He felt that he was good enough to recapture the chips at his table once the rebuy period was over.

M.B.E.
03-29-2005, 06:12 PM
Link. (http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=670227&page=&view=&sb=5&o =&fpart=all&vc=1)

maddo
03-30-2005, 07:57 AM
Thanks for replying. I didn't want to PM as I thought it may develop into a discussion that may help me. And it did!

Cheers.

B Mando
03-30-2005, 09:24 AM
I saw strassa rip some guy apart playing HU 3060 Stud...This guy just kept reloading, it was pretty funny.