PDA

View Full Version : Haven't done this in awhile JTo

bernie
03-28-2005, 07:00 AM
UB 2-4

Typical table. Kind of tight. Kind of aggressive. Blind steals are defended with regularity. I thought this hand was kind of fun.

I open in the CO with JTo

Folded to BB who promptly 3 bets, I call.

Flop A 8 7 r

BB bets out, I raise, long pause (no previous pause problems) BB calls

Turn 7

BB checks, I bet...

b

einbert
03-28-2005, 07:07 AM
I like the postflop play.

I think he was peeling a lot on the flop, and he'll fold a bunch here. I don't think he's checkraising you here because he probably would have threebet the flop with a hand that he wants to go that far with.

If he does checkraise I think it's a clear fold, getting about 8-1 by my fuzzy math. If you would have to call the checkraise of course a bet wouldn't be so obvious.

If blind steals are defended "with regularity" I'd much rather have A2o than JTo in this spot but I guess it is okay. I usually muck preflop, maybe I am giving up too much (I'm used to playing against players who literally defend 80% of the time against a steal raise at 5/10 6max).

I'm assuming you are giving up if you get called here and the river blanks off?

EDIT: I'm beginning to think this depends very much on whether he is a good, thinking player or not. Because a good, thinking player doesn't call that flop raise planning to fold the turn unimproved with almost any hand but a bad player would do this frequently. Any postflop read at all would be very helpful in this hand.

bernie
03-28-2005, 07:59 AM
By regularity in defending, Im meaning more than the usual game you hear about, fullgame-wise. Noticeably so.

I fully expected the flop bet into me. I could set my watch by it as it was SOP on this table and many UB 2-4s. So I figured there's a good chance the A didn't hit him but I could represent it. After the long pause, I planned on betting the turn if checked to no matter what. I knew he didn't have an A. So now it's a matter if I can push him the rest of the way over on the turn.

[ QUOTE ]
If blind steals are defended "with regularity" I'd much rather have A2o than JTo in this spot but I guess it is okay. I usually muck preflop, maybe I am giving up too much

[/ QUOTE ]

It's probably marginal. This table was playing kind of tight postflop which added to my decision. There was also a somewhat tight button and sb behind me.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm assuming you are giving up if you get called here and the river blanks off?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. I think if he's going to fold he'll do it on the turn. Otherwise, he's calling me down. However, I will bet if I hit my J,T,9 or another A.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm beginning to think this depends very much on whether he is a good, thinking player or not. Because a good, thinking player doesn't call that flop raise planning to fold the turn unimproved with almost any hand but a bad player would do this frequently.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he has to think a little just to defend his blind this way. He could easily have some pair and maybe slide one off trying to hit his set, or just even pair up with something to showdown, while seeing if his flop call may freeze me from betting the turn if I really didn't have the A. Basically, seeing if I was just making a move on the flop which many may not continue through the turn. Maybe not.

Who knows, I might have had the best hand anyways. It'd sure be interesting to see what he folded. I think since I came in from the CO instead of the button may have given me a little more credibility for a hand in his view. Again, maybe, maybe not.

b

The Dude
03-28-2005, 08:58 AM
I don't get it. What exactly is your question? It certainly isn't about how you played the hand, right?

Chris Dow
03-28-2005, 09:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah. I think if he's going to fold he'll do it on the turn. Otherwise, he's calling me down. However, I will bet if I hit my J,T,9 or another A.

[/ QUOTE ]

It can certainly just be me, but betting the ace seems really dumb on the river. I find that if the second one hits the board they believe even less, and that would be what you are trying to represent right? Betting the jack or ten given your read is very good, but the ace, I dunno... (you bet the J or T for the same reason you don't bet the A, imo)

Trix
03-28-2005, 09:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If blind steals are defended "with regularity" I'd much rather have A2o than JTo in this spot but I guess it is okay. I usually muck preflop, maybe I am giving up too much (I'm used to playing against players who literally defend 80% of the time against a steal raise at 5/10 6max).

[/ QUOTE ]

I like JTo much better.

Why wont you play JTo with position against 2 players with 80% hand ranges ?

The Dude
03-28-2005, 09:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It can certainly just be me, but betting the ace seems really dumb on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree, I'm checking behind an A on this river. I agree with everything else Bernie has said about this hand, though.

bernie
03-28-2005, 04:00 PM
I remember typing that and thinking I should put 'maybe' in front of 'another A'. I think this tends to work better in live games than online. This can also be player dependent, I think. It's the only card you can really last ditch bluff the river with on the end.

But certainly checking the river when an A hits is a viable option.

b