PDA

View Full Version : Jack Johnson

tbach24
03-28-2005, 04:54 AM
I haven't listened to him much, but my friends are always listening to him so I decided to give him a try. I've listened to about 5 songs and really like it. If anyone listens to him and knows which are his best songs, I would appreciate it.

billyjex
03-28-2005, 04:56 AM
He's pretty cool. He's somewhat big in California. I've seen him live and it was a really good show.

His first album is great, check it out. Try to find some live songs online as well.

PeeWeeH
03-28-2005, 04:58 AM
Oh good, I was hoping to meet some other fans of warmed-over stoner folk here.

PeeWee

tbach24
I'm listening to my brother's iPod and he has a lot of his stuff (like 40 songs). Which was his first CD?

BusterStacks
yea, after you get done listening to his CD you can write in your diary, then take a bubble bath. Then maybe eat a tub of ice cream, drink some cheap champagne, and reminisce about ex-girlfriends. This music makes me want to puke.

PoBoy321
03-28-2005, 05:01 AM
Jack Johnson is awesome. Check out Flake, Bubble Toes and The News. I also really like his new single Sitting, Waiting, Wishing.

jdl22
03-28-2005, 05:02 AM
I'm gonna warn you that Busterstacks will come in and call any serious responder gay. As a defence to this I will say that I was introduced to him through my fiance who is female.

Firstly he's excellent live, much better than on the cds because he does cool medleys. Check out some of his shows at www.archive.org (http://www.archive.org) they have a ton.

The new album is good but I haven't heard it too much. On the CD On and On I like Tomorrow Morning (good homesick kind of song which is too appropriate for me /images/graemlins/frown.gif gone, times like these, and symbol in my driveway. If you had to get a cd I would reccomend his first commercial release Brushfire Fairytales which has Mudfootball, fortunate fools and my personal favorite which is bubble toes. Bubble toes is basically a love song about his wife, it's good and women really like it so that makes it better. Download a live version of the song that has stir it up in the middle.

Another good song if you're the downloading type is high tide or low tide which he performed with Ben Harper on the Carson Daly show.

jdl22
03-28-2005, 05:02 AM
d'oh too late! /images/graemlins/blush.gif

BusterStacks
03-28-2005, 05:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
d'oh too late! /images/graemlins/blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

no way you really did that, right? what are the odds...

peachy
03-28-2005, 05:33 AM
hes big here too...has been for awhile now

willie
03-28-2005, 05:36 AM
guess i'm the only freak who liked his second album better

very smooth guitar style, not too flashy and not overly skilled- he's got some chops but mostly his style is just laid back which is nice.

high tide low tide- definitely get it.

I've seen him live twice, once he was solo in central park, the other time he was touring with ben harper. both decent shows

he's a bit too laid back for my live musical tastes. I'd rather listen to this music when i'm at home than at a concert. but there are some HOT ass chicks into his music.

JKDStudent
03-28-2005, 05:39 AM
JJ == Awesome. Saw him in concert with G. Love and Donovan Frankenreiter. Incredible show. As for best songs... well, they're all great. Some personal favorites:

-Taylor
-Rainbow (him and G. Love on the Thicker Than Water soundtrack)
-Bananna Pancakes
-Mud Football
-Find the version of Fall Line that starts out with him singing Plastic Jesus from Cool Hand Luke
-Gone
-Better Together

I have to stop here, else I'll just list all his songs. If you dig JJ, check out Donovan F. as well (under JJ's label, Brushfire Records).

jdl22
03-28-2005, 05:52 AM
I prefer on and on as an album though two of my favorite three are on brushfire fairytales.

billyjex
03-28-2005, 05:54 AM
I like "surf song" that he did w/ G-Love.

BreakEvenPlayer
03-28-2005, 06:10 AM
Yeah. Jack Johnson is the man. He went to school here at UCSB and I met him once before a show here in SB before his first CD came out. When I first heard Bubbletoes in the dorm freshman year I knew he would be huge. (one of the lines on "bubbletoes" = "well I was eating lunch at the DLG, when this little girl came an sat next to me"... DLG = De La Guerra dining commons where I ate many a shitty meal as a freshman here.)

Being a guitar player, learning to play his songs has been a pretty big influence. he has a very percussive and unique strumming style on most of his songs which i haven't heard anywhere else.

I'm not too impressed with the newest CD though. It seems rather than progressing as an artist he is just rehashing his style and maybe even simplifying things for the worldwide pop masses. oh well, maybe it will grow on me.