PDA

View Full Version : Slow down with overpair? 2/5 NL

dtbog
03-28-2005, 03:46 AM
What does this mean?

2/5 NL, 200 max.

Villain in this hand is a relatively tight, solid player who won't mess around -- I've seen him fold on most of the flops that he's taken. I've been taking down a lot of pots on the flop over the past hour or so.

Three calls to the $5 BB, Hero ($2000) in the cutoff makes it $25 to go with Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. Two calls. Villain ($300) calls in LP.

Flop ($107): J /images/graemlins/spade.gif 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif.

Three checks, Hero bets $100, two folds, villain looks up and says "You know, I think you're trying to buy this pot!" and calls with an odd and uncharacteristic look on his face.

(warning bells for anyone else?? this screamed set to me...)

Turn: 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Villain checks. Hero checks.

River: T /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Villain bets $50. Hero calls.

Comments? Maybe this is a pretty standard hand, but I'm curious what you think of the words and the call from the villain.... what do you call with here? TPTK? set? draw??

-dB

BobboFitos
03-28-2005, 03:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Hero ($2000)

[/ QUOTE ]

we talked about this, just wanted to quote it. kudos dave

[ QUOTE ]
Villain bets $50. Hero calls.

Comments? Maybe this is a pretty standard hand, but I'm curious what you think of the words and the call from the villain.... what do you call with here? TPTK? set? draw??

-dB

[/ QUOTE ]

On the flop his call could actually mean alot. you interpreted his words + action = set, so your turn line and river call is fine. I wouldn't have given immediate credit, as a LP call could easily have hit this flop with a pair + gut type hand, (Jt, J9, T8, etc.) flopped straight, two pair (J8, 87 both very possible) or maybe just 69 or 56. you said you were bossing the table so it could also just be a top pair hand (AJ down w/o a gutdraw) hoping to just slow you down / entice the money in by check/calling an over aggro foe.

also, I think - turn pot was 307, villain has 175, You had him slightly covered ( several hundred + 1k more ( =) ) so I might just shove him in on the turn.

amazing he only bet 50 on the river. if he has better then you (77, 88, T9, 87) he let you off the hook very nicely. He could've rivered you, too.

tbach24
03-28-2005, 04:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Three checks, Hero bets $100, two folds, villain looks up and says "You know, I think you're trying to buy this pot!" and calls with an odd and uncharacteristic look on his face.

(warning bells for anyone else?? this screamed set to me...)

[/ QUOTE ]

YES!!! If he really thought you were trying to buy it with anything else, wouldn't he come over the top to try and get you to fold. I think he's trying to let you catch an overcard and then milk you.

dtbog
03-28-2005, 04:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
kudos dave

[/ QUOTE ]

ty /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
you said you were bossing the table so it could also just be a top pair hand (AJ down w/o a gutdraw) hoping to just slow you down / entice the money in by check/calling an over aggro foe.

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely true.. but why would he say such a bizarre line when calling on the flop? (each to their own, I guess?)

[ QUOTE ]
amazing he only bet 50 on the river. if he has better then you (77, 88, T9, 87) he let you off the hook very nicely.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is why I considered raising the river... if he thinks I have nothing, I'm not calling a real value bet.. (but I'm not calling anything at all). If he thinks I have something.. he could at least bet 1/3 of the pot?

Amid all of this confusion, I didn't raise.. there's no need to bet one pair for value here, especially with the confusing read on the flop and all the ways he could have improved on the river.

-dB

dtbog
03-28-2005, 04:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
YES!!! If he really thought you were trying to buy it with anything else, wouldn't he come over the top to try and get you to fold. I think he's trying to let you catch an overcard and then milk you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly what I was thinking. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

The other option is that he thinks I'm trying to buy it, but he's too much of a pussy to raise!

-dB

parttimepro
03-28-2005, 12:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is why I considered raising the river... if he thinks I have nothing, I'm not calling a real value bet.. (but I'm not calling anything at all). If he thinks I have something.. he could at least bet 1/3 of the pot?

[/ QUOTE ]
If he had something, he was probably trying to show weakness and get you to come over the top. If not (he had KJ or something), it was probably a blocking bet.

Standard hand IMO.