PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of VPIP

kurto
03-28-2005, 02:33 AM
I can't get my VPIP about 15%... I can't figure it out. This could be short term variance... On Pokerstars and before I had PT, it said I was playing around 20-23% of all hands. In the last two weeks I've been on Party using PT, I've been average 15%.

For the life of me, I don't think my game has changed.

In nearly always play any PP, AK-AQ... in Mid to late position, if I think I can limp or call a minraise... I play a lot of suited connectors from 56 up. In late position, I'll also limp with some unsuited connectors and Kx or Qx suited with up to 2 gaps. In LP, I would also consider any A-broadway if there's a lot of limpers.

With ALL that,... I can't break 15% and have been as low as 10%. Is this variance too? Or am I too tight?

PoBoy321
03-28-2005, 02:37 AM
I think that 15% VPIP is fine. I'm usually only around 18% VPIP except for when I start to run well, get crazy loose and end up in a 200BB downswing /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Muisyle
03-28-2005, 02:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I can't get my VPIP about 15%... I can't figure it out. This could be short term variance... On Pokerstars and before I had PT, it said I was playing around 20-23% of all hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe that includes the blinds. I'll let you do your own math.

kurto
03-28-2005, 03:05 AM
doesn't PT include the Blinds when it computes VPIP?

If not, then I guess it would be about the same. If it does, then suddenly I'm playing a quarter percent less hands, though my starting requirements haven't changed.

Thing is... if I was too tight, I'm not sure what I would add.

Muisyle
03-28-2005, 03:10 AM
VP$IP stands for voluntarily put $ in the pot. The BB does not count unless it's raised and you call. The small blinds counts if you complete. Same thing for any hand where you post a blind for sitting down.

At pokerstars a hand you play from the BB in an unraised pot will count as a "played hand", while it would not be included in pokertracker's VP$IP

You may or may not have also tightened up in the process, you would just have to do the math and see.

kurto
03-28-2005, 03:10 AM
Thanks. That clears it up.

Los Feliz Slim
03-28-2005, 06:19 AM
Based loosely on experience, not Pokertracker, I think a two-week run of less-than-great pockets is not only possible, it's likely.

During these times I like to fantasize about the incredible run of cards that awaits me in the future.

zaxx19
03-28-2005, 07:38 AM
I would also consider any A-broadway if there's a lot of limpers.

I think you have a fundamental misunderstanding of holdem poker if you think playing a hand like AJo is better versus alot of limpers than say 2-3....

Do you play pp in EP like UTG>>??

Do you play 910s UTG>?

KQo in EP?

would you take a flop on the button with 107s with 4 limpers in before you?

Im not suggesting loosening up...just trying to get a better sense of how you play.

xorbie
03-28-2005, 10:21 AM
My VPIP is around 29%. I do this by playing hands that could be dominated, and trying to play well post-flop. If there's only a limper to me in MP, I'll limp with JK, JQ, QK, AT and so on if it's a tight/passive table and I'm only getting one person behind me max.

I also play lot's of SC and S1G in position. Sometimes S2G if they are high enough (Q9s and up). KTs also.

kurto
03-28-2005, 12:06 PM
"I would also consider any A-broadway if there's a lot of limpers." Yes. in late position I do. I also will limp with Ax (of course) and JK, 10-K, etc on the cutoff or button.

"Do you play pp in EP like UTG>>??" All of em if the table is relatively passive. If there's a bunch of shortstacks raising aggressively,... I'm not going to limp with my pocket 2s.

"Do you play 910s UTG>?" Almost never. If a table is extremely passive (Table Pfr<3%) I might consider it. But generally I would wait until mid or late position. You would play this UTG?

"KQo in EP?" Generally no. Again... if the table is extremely passive, I might limp with this. In EP, I really want AK/AQ or a pocket pair. About seat 4 or 5, I'll loosen up quite a bit.

"would you take a flop on the button with 107s with 4 limpers in before you?" I could go either way. I've played 8-10s from mp. But 2 gappers... I just don't bother too often. (I've done 9-Qs, 10-Ks... but most other 2 gappers have been in the blinds.)