PDA

View Full Version : "on the edge"

jdl22
03-28-2005, 02:25 AM
As usual I found Barron's article to be extremely well written. Also I like the idea of writing an essay with an example or examples illustrating some concept from a poker book.

I'm curious however why they are titled "on the edge" and "from the Far Boundaries of Poker Literature." Are these statements meant to be ironic? Again, the articles are all useful and I both enjoyed the three of them and look forward to future essays but all are fairly straight forward applications of standard concepts from books. Playing K/images/graemlins/club.gif5/images/graemlins/club.gif on the button after 4 limpers is part of the preflop strategy illustrated in many books, not acting so serious at the table has been described in the poker literature for some time, and stealing like a bandit in a tournament with a sizable chip stack near the bubble is a pretty standard line.

BarronVangorToth
03-28-2005, 08:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I'm curious however why they are titled "on the edge" and "from the Far Boundaries of Poker Literature."

[/ QUOTE ]

My thought - right or wrong, I don't know - with the 2+2 magazine was that I was writing to Generic Poker Player and not necessarily just Savvy 2+2'er. I do hope 2+2'ers enjoy my articles but, no, for a guy like you and for most people who have had the good sense to delve into their books and reread and study them, my articles won't be too "edgy."

For every player who knows these concepts backwards and forwards I'd suggest there are a veritable multitude that do not.

Something not "on the edge" would be raising with pocket aces and then firing at the pot, turn, and river. People know to play aces, or big pairs, or ace king. K5 suited is another story. Likewise, in #3 this month, people at the event were criticizing me for not coasting - these are fellas that plunked down $100 to play in a tournament and they were saying it to my face to stop risking my "payday." Imagine how many were thinking it and not saying it.

And I don't even want to go into all of the people I see in sunglasses, hooded sweatshirts, or other random gear, all of which sends the wrong message, especially when they start yelling at senior citizens for calling them with mediocre holdings.

I've flipped up hands like K5 suited on the button after limpers many times to take down pots in games as high as $20/$40 live and constantly get criticized by random Foxwooders.

Forget that you shouldn't criticize players, but intuitively one would think that a guy playing the mid stakes like $20/$40 would've known what happened pre-flop and that I was fine to call with a hand like that given five limpers ahead of me.... Yet, it happens.

So.... my theory with my articles (at least issues #1-6, with 4-6 appearing June through August) has always been writing to not necessarily the studious 2+2'er, but to someone who is far less learned. And, even if you know the principles, hopefully rereading them will prove enjoyable and as a reinforcement.

With so many people coming into our game, combined with a ton of players who have been playing for a while but just play horrendously, I wanted to write something for that new majority.

The small fraction of the poker community that truly knows the 2+2 lexicon backwards and forwards will hopefully still find said examples fun to read.

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com (http://www.BarronVangorToth.com)

jdl22
03-28-2005, 08:48 AM
fair enough. As I've said I do enjoy the articles.

[ QUOTE ]
And, even if you know the principles, hopefully rereading them will prove enjoyable and as a reinforcement.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is pretty accurate. In the future I would like to see stuff not often discussed here or things a lot of people get wrong (including me most likely), things like keeping the pot small, waiting until the turn to protect your hand and a third concept that is on the tip of my fingers and is escaping me but would really fill out this sentence.

BarronVangorToth
03-28-2005, 09:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
waiting until the turn to protect your hand

[/ QUOTE ]

see: "On the Edge" vol. 5 - July 2+2 Online Magazine

(#4 deals with a bluffing opportunities; #6 with sit-and-go strategies)

By the way, going off on your point regarding "keeping the pot small," what are you saying that you do incorrectly...?

Barron Vangor Toth

jdl22
03-28-2005, 10:02 AM
not raising preflop. There have been situations not to dissimilar to that described in Mason's essay where I've not raised hoping to gain equity on later streets but because of the number and nature of the limpers I lost too much EV preflop to get back postflop.

BarronVangorToth
03-28-2005, 11:54 AM
Interesting.... that is a bit akin to something I was thinking for "On the Edge" vol. 7 from a recent Foxwoods trip -- to the Barron-computer!

Barron Vangor Toth