PDA

View Full Version : One Other Golf Thing - Letter To B.J. Wie

HDPM
03-28-2005, 12:21 AM
Dear B.J.:

Once this summer will you please have Michelle enter a tournament she can win. Thanks.

HDPM

Also, I hope the USGA starts investigating amateurs who pimp for companies more closely. Michelle's grotesque display for Nike today was something else. Wonder if she happens to sign with them when she turns pro. Oh, probably not. I am sure she bought that ridiculous shirt with the money she made babysitting or caddying.

M2d
03-28-2005, 02:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Once this summer will you please have Michelle enter a tournament she can win. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

You know, I used to think this also, but now, I don't know. She's proven that her game belongs on the LPGA. She doesn't miss cuts, she'd qualify for her card, even on her limited schedule, and she regularly finishes in the top 20. I think entering anything but a national stage tournament would be, for her, counterproductive. Even the national amateur tournaments may hold more land mines than pots of gold. with the formats they have in place, upsets happen, and she could easily go a few season without winning another one.

I would like to see her play in a weaker field LPGA tournament. that may be her best shot at winning in a non-local tournament.

As for the logo stuff, i'd love to see her in her high school logo. of course, I went to that high school, so I'm biased.

HDPM
03-28-2005, 02:12 PM
She is learning how to lose after getting exemptions. She needs to win something. I heard her say somethig about getting an exemption at the Sony that really bothered me. I hope things work out for her, but I think she has some adjustments to make in her mental approach. Hope I'm wrong.

mmbt0ne
03-28-2005, 02:17 PM
How about having her play for her high school team? Tiger said that was some of the most fun he's ever had playing golf, just because of the people you meet, and getting to hang out with your friends. Of course, I'm sure winning by a dozen strokes didn't dampen his mood either.

nolanfan34
03-28-2005, 02:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
She is learning how to lose after getting exemptions. She needs to win something. I heard her say somethig about getting an exemption at the Sony that really bothered me. I hope things work out for her, but I think she has some adjustments to make in her mental approach. Hope I'm wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you. She needs to play at least SOME events where she can hone a killer instinct. Even if it's just the state womens amateur, etc.

I don't like the sense of entitlement that I get from her.

HDPM
03-28-2005, 02:22 PM
I think she plays HS golf. She should, although she definitely needs more competition than that. As I said before, I think she should try to graduate HS early and play college golf. Win at the college level and play national events in the summer. But she should get out of the habit of taking exemptions IMO. To play for pay she needs to prove it. A few exemptions are fine, but I think she has over done it. But I admit she had a better reason to play the tourn. this weekend with her previous good finish. The Sony exemptions and the Nationwide exemptions are wrong IMO.

M2d
03-28-2005, 03:08 PM
she actually didn't play for the hs team this past year. /images/graemlins/mad.gif
they could have used her

M2d
03-28-2005, 03:12 PM
results (http://www.808golf.com/michellewie/mw_aw-accomp.htm#HAWAII%20STATE%20WOMENS/WOMENS%20DIVISION%20PROFESSIONAL%20&%20AMATEUR%20T OURNAMENTS)

she tore the state amateur ranks a new one for a couple of years before landing on the national scene. anything she does in women's golf in hawaii will be "been there, done that, already hold the record"

groo
03-28-2005, 05:28 PM
Michelle Wie is a special case and the standard rules/expectaions don't apply. Although I'm not sure what rules/expectations do apply.

Speaking as someone who has played numerous Monday Qualifiers, I'm fine with her getting exemptions to the Sony....She's proven she can play on that level; and, at least on the PGA Tour, Monday Qualifiers are a crap shoot at best. A reasonably good tour quality professional that plays 20-25 Mondays can count on shooting 67-68 on occasion and making a handful of events, but playing only 1-3 of these each year he might shoot 64 or 65 everytime and not get in. I've seen 63 miss qualifying. The PGA Tour takes too few players and fields are too large for a Monday Qualifier to be +EV. So again, Michelle is high enough profile and a good enough player that I'm fine with that exemption in her hometown.

The nationwide tour on the hand allows a minimum of 14 qualifiers every week. You play 3 qualifiers you shoot 68 each time you'll almost certainly qualify at least twice probably 3 times. It's not a crap shoot, it's +EV.

Also, I hope the USGA starts investigating amateurs who pimp for companies more closely. Michelle's grotesque display for Nike today was something else. Wonder if she happens to sign with them when she turns pro. Oh, probably not. I am sure she bought that ridiculous shirt with the money she made babysitting or caddying.

Does the USGA even standards on amateurism any more? Mens clubs give out cash instead of gift certificates, and no one sacrifices their amateur status. Million dollar Hole-in-One contests somehow allow contestants to retain their status. I've played tournaments where college players have accepted hundreds in cash with no worry. Where is the USGA on this?

Kevmath
03-28-2005, 07:18 PM
USGA rules on amateur status (http://www.usga.org/playing/amateur_status/rules/amstat_rules.html)

Kevin...

groo
03-28-2005, 07:38 PM
I'm familiar with these rules, I'm just wondering why they no longer seem to be enforced?

HDPM
03-28-2005, 08:44 PM
Agreed, I don't think they are adequately enforced. Even when merchandise certificates are given, I think people play for too much in prizes and it detracts from amateur tournaments. I think the USGA has been derelict in policing amateur status. I don't think Wie should be singled out - I think more scrutiny should be given to shady practices at all levels. But when you pimp for Nike on national TV...

groo
03-28-2005, 10:43 PM
But when you pimp for Nike on national TV...

LOL.....You'd think that would be pretty obviously outside the rules of amateur status.

HDPM
03-28-2005, 11:11 PM
But she has the defense that all kinds of people buy golf aparrel with logos on it. I mean every pro shop sells hats with company names on them that pros are paid to wear. In my old age I occasionally go out of my way to get clothing without logos, but I admit some shirts I wear have them. Hats too, but I still have not advertised a golf ball or club company on my hat for free. Oh for the days of crusty amateurs with bad bucket hats with the country club logo.

andyfox
03-28-2005, 11:55 PM
That letter should go to every woman's golfer's father(or husband or whatever) other than Anneka's. She's running the table.

groo
03-29-2005, 11:34 AM
But she has the defense that all kinds of people buy golf aparrel with logos on it.

Isn't golf still a game where you call penalties on yourself when you step outside the rules?