PDA

View Full Version : "Bandwagon Fans"

MEbenhoe
03-27-2005, 08:30 PM
So a recent post in this forum in which my name was brought up sparked this:

I am probably accused of being a bandwagon fan more than any other person I've ever met, because I happen to be a Yankees fan and a Duke basketball fan. I've been called the same by many on these boards as well, despite the fact that I've been a fan of both teams for virtually my entire life.

I'm told you can't be a true Duke fan unless you attended the university, otherwise you are a bandwagon fan. I am told you can't be a true Yankees fan unless you grew up in New York, otherwise you are a bandwagon fan.

Despite all this, I contend that I am just as big if not a bigger fan of these two teams than anyone who roots for their university or home team.

How many of you watch every single game of your favorite college basketball team, and when you can't you're locked to your computer catching every update of the score? The michigan state game was the first Duke game I missed all year and it was due to the fact that I had to be in Iowa for a track meet. Even still I was calling my roommate about every 5 minutes for the score.

How many of you freaked out when you were a little kid when your favorite teams star answered a fan letter (Christian Laettner in my case)?

How many of you have bribed a friend by paying for his ticket and paying for all the gas just to get him to drive you to the twin cities so you can see the yankees play the twins in the playoffs(or something of the same nature)?

Can any of you compare to being about the only person in Milwaukee outraged at the Brewers switching to the national league, only because it meant you couldn't continue the tradition of going with your dad to see the brewers playing the yankees every year?

How many of you support your team enough that you wear the shirt of that team the day after the final game of the season, win or lose (I wore my Duke shirt proudly on Saturday and accepted all the razzing that went with it)?

I bleed for both these teams just as much as anyone does for their team, so calling me a bandwagon fan is about as bad of an insult as someone can make of me.

With Duke and Wisconsin both eliminated from the tournament now, part of me is cheering for Illinois to win the championship because I see guys like Clarkmeister, Cubswin, and Bugstud as having the same type of passion for their team as I do.

All the rest of you closet fans who claim to be true fans only when your team is doing well, and those people who claim you're not a true fan if you cheer for Duke or the Yankees, well you can go screw yourselves.

Rant over.

kerssens
03-27-2005, 08:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I am probably accused of being a bandwagon fan more than any other person I've ever met, because I happen to be a Yankees fan and a Duke basketball fan. I've been called the same by many on these boards as well, despite the fact that I've been a fan of both teams for virtually my entire life.

I'm told you can't be a true Duke fan unless you attended the university, otherwise you are a bandwagon fan. I am told you can't be a true Yankees fan unless you grew up in New York, otherwise you are a bandwagon fan.

Despite all this, I contend that I am just as big if not a bigger fan of these two teams than anyone who roots for their university or home team.

How many of you watch every single game of your favorite college basketball team, and when you can't you're locked to your computer catching every update of the score? The michigan state game was the first Duke game I missed all year and it was due to the fact that I had to be in Iowa for a track meet. Even still I was calling my roommate about every 5 minutes for the score.

How many of you freaked out when you were a little kid when your favorite teams star answered a fan letter (Christian Laettner in my case)?

How many of you have bribed a friend by paying for his ticket and paying for all the gas just to get him to drive you to the twin cities so you can see the yankees play the twins in the playoffs(or something of the same nature)?

Can any of you compare to being about the only person in Milwaukee outraged at the Brewers switching to the national league, only because it meant you couldn't continue the tradition of going with your dad to see the brewers playing the yankees every year?

How many of you support your team enough that you wear the shirt of that team the day after the final game of the season, win or lose (I wore my Duke shirt proudly on Saturday and accepted all the razzing that went with it)?

I bleed for both these teams just as much as anyone does for their team, so calling me a bandwagon fan is about as bad of an insult as someone can make of me.

With Duke and Wisconsin both eliminated from the tournament now, part of me is cheering for Illinois to win the championship because I see guys like Clarkmeister, Cubswin, and Bugstud as having the same type of passion for their team as I do.

All the rest of you closet fans who claim to be true fans only when your team is doing well, and those people who claim you're not a true fan if you cheer for Duke or the Yankees, well you can go screw yourselves.

Rant over.

[/ QUOTE ]

GuyOnTilt
[ QUOTE ]

Rant over.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice avatar.

GoT

Dead
The correct term is fairweather fan. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I did not know you were a Yankee fan. So you are not as bad as I thought. Granted, the Yankees have choked in the postseason the past 4 years. And yet I still wear my Yankees cap and Yankees hoodie.

I wore my Yankees apparel the day after our ALCS choke last October. I got a shitload of razzing as well.

I wore my Syracuse apparel two Saturdays ago after our disappointing loss to Vermont.

Good post.

daryn
03-27-2005, 08:34 PM
i think the issue people take is with why a person chose that certain team.

for instance, why are you a yankees fan? that's cool if you have been a fan your whole life, watched every game, etc.

but why?

i think that's why people rant about this crap. i don't care personally.

nothumb
03-27-2005, 08:35 PM
I think you have to ask yourself, what does it say about you if you're a Duke fan and a Yankee fan for no reason associated to geographic location, college attended, etc? That's even worse. What does it say about your aesthetic sensibilities, you know? Sheesh.

NT

Dead
03-27-2005, 08:35 PM
What you fail to understand is that this practice happens with every team that starts to do well. Granted, Duke and the Yankees have had more than their "fair" share of success, but I wouldn't be surprised if lots of Illini "fans" became fans starting this year.

It's not just limited to teams that have been good over a long period of time.

Red Sox fans for example. I know a lot of them. Most have no clue about their team or its rich history.

daryn
03-27-2005, 08:37 PM
did you read my post? i was simply saying that people are looking for an answer to the question: why?

Dead
03-27-2005, 08:38 PM
ok my bad. i see.

it just seems that a lot of the criticism is directed at yankee fans and duke fans.

daryn
03-27-2005, 08:39 PM
dude, he specifically brought up the yankees and duke.

i think those teams come up a lot because of their great success in the past. people say "hmm.. this guy.. he says he's a huge yankees fan, but he's from asscrack, idaho. probably the only reason why he is a fan in the first place is their winning tradition".

the key is the reason

jason_t
03-27-2005, 08:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why are you a fan of these teams then?

Ulysses
03-27-2005, 08:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

HAHAHHAHHAHA. Sorry.

wacki
03-27-2005, 08:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think you have to ask yourself, what does it say about you if you're a Duke fan and a Yankee fan for no reason associated to geographic location, college attended, etc? That's even worse. What does it say about your aesthetic sensibilities, you know? Sheesh.

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh, when I was little I played baseball. Our little league team was undefeated and crushed one team 60-0 and could of crushed them even more if they didn't forfeit. Our team name was the Reds (just like Cincinnati reds). Ever since then, I've always been a big reds fan and I'm not even a big baseball fan. I don't think my reason for liking the reds is any less valid then many other peoples reasons for liking a team.

MEbenhoe
03-27-2005, 08:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Why are you a fan of these teams then?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've explained it many times before, but for the sake of this thread I shall explain once again.

Duke because my dad is a long time Duke fan so when I first really started following college basketball when I was like 6 Duke was all I saw, and they seemed to win a lot, and that Laettner guy was really good. I think the fact that Laettner answered a fan letter I wrote to him helped hook me too.

Yankees because when I was 4 the first tball team I played for was called the yankees. Plus I absolutely loved as a little kid reading about all the history that went along with the Yankees.

jdl22
03-27-2005, 08:48 PM
The problem is that you started liking the teams because they won. In particular these two teams have never been bad teams since you started liking them.

Despite what you say it's not the same. The Illini fans feel it more than you do. Why do I say this? Because you have never sat through a season where Duke was terrible. Suffering through these seasons is what makes one a true fan. I know what both sides are like. My mom is from the San Francisco area so I've always liked the Giants and 49ers (I did take a brief hiatus from the niners when they hired a coach I couldn't support) as well as the Blazers and University of Oregon. When I was growing up the 49ers were always good and I was always a huge fan (like you I got a letter back from my idol Joe Montana that was a highlight of my childhood). Obviously I was extremely happy when they won the Super Bowl. I can assure you though that these feelings completely paled in comparison to my ducks going to the Rose Bowl in 1994 and the Fiesta Bowl in 2001. The difference is that I had suffered through the lows with Oregon and with the niners there hadn't been any at the time - though the present is certainly a low point.

MEbenhoe
03-27-2005, 08:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Eh, when I was little I played baseball. Our little league team was undefeated and crushed one team 60-0 and could of crushed them even more if they didn't forfeit. Our team name was the Reds (just like Cincinnati reds). Ever since then, I've always been a big reds fan and I'm not even a big baseball fan. I don't think my reason for liking the reds is any less valid then many other peoples reasons for liking a team.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow thats kinda funny that I have the same reason, maybe theres something about what the name of your baseball team's name is as a kid and what team you end up cheering for.

MEbenhoe
03-27-2005, 08:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Because you have never sat through a season where Duke was terrible.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't know much about Duke basketball history do you?

kerssens
03-27-2005, 08:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Weren't they pretty bad when Coach K almost died or had a breakdown or something?

jdl22
Probably not as much as you.

I know they were terrible before coach K, when have they been terrible since the days of Hurley and Hill and Laetner (sp?)?

Dead
Lmao JDL.

The Yankees sucked throughout the 80s and into the mid 90s.

bad argument.

MEbenhoe
03-27-2005, 08:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Weren't they pretty bad when Coach K almost died or had a breakdown or something?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes

and

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

kerssens
03-27-2005, 08:58 PM
Baseball needs the Yankees to be good.....I personally don't care who people root for but think its much more interesting when the Yankees are good because of how polarizing they are.

kenberman
03-27-2005, 08:59 PM
Ok, you're passionate about Duke and NYY, but WHY are you passionate about them?

MEbenhoe
03-27-2005, 08:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

1994-95: 13-18, 2-14 in ACC
1995-96: 18-13, 8-8 in ACC (lost in first round of tourney to Eastern Michigan)

MEbenhoe
03-27-2005, 09:00 PM
read entire thread, you'll find the answer.

bugstud
03-27-2005, 09:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, two bad years. That's rough.

Dead
03-27-2005, 09:01 PM
After the Yankees let Reggie go, they started to suck. They did not get much better until acquiring Tino Martinez and having Jeter mature.

The Yankees' success comes in streaks.

Voltron87
03-27-2005, 09:02 PM
So you're not from New York and you didn't go to Duke and you root for Duke and the Yankees? "Do you root for the house in blackjack"?, someone else once asked.

I don't care what your story is, you can't be as big a fan as someone from that hometown. It's just not the same. I root for Chelsea in English soccer, since they were the first team I saw when I was a kid and I got attached to them. I'm just attached. But if I was from England and had a hometown team, I would root for them.

Your hometown team is your hometown team. Anything else is kind of phony.

MEbenhoe
03-27-2005, 09:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, two bad years. That's rough.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well seeing how jdl originally said I've never sat through a bad Duke season, two bad years seems to be enough to prove him wrong.

jdl22
03-27-2005, 09:03 PM
ok so two bad years in the second they MADE IT TO THE NCAA TOURNAMENT! OH THE HUMANITY!!!

Dead
03-27-2005, 09:03 PM
It's important to clarify that you're saying New York State as a whole, and not just the city, right?

jdl22
03-27-2005, 09:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Well seeing how jdl originally said I've never sat through a bad Duke season, two bad years seems to be enough to prove him wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

you did indeed prove my statement wrong. The overall point though still stands.

Voltron87
03-27-2005, 09:05 PM
new york state counts. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dead
03-27-2005, 09:07 PM
Sweet.

You know I've never gotten a chance to go to a Yankee game?

I've been to NYC a few times but never seen a game. I have been to Yankee Stadium but it's not the same.

I hope to go to one this summer. It's only 4 and a half hours away.

I do have the fortune of living 10 mins away from the Carrier Dome though.

MEbenhoe
03-27-2005, 09:08 PM
I root for the Brewers too, I've just always liked the Yankees better. Same way I always cheer for UWM, Marquette, Wisconsin, and UWGB, but still like Duke better.

MEbenhoe
03-27-2005, 09:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sweet.

You know I've never gotten a chance to go to a Yankee game?

I've been to NYC a few times but never seen a game. I have been to Yankee Stadium but it's not the same.

I hope to go to one this summer. It's only 4 and a half hours away.

I do have the fortune of living 10 mins away from the Carrier Dome though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've already bought tickets for Yankees Twins this summer, and if I'm somehow lucky enough to have the spare cash (very unlikely) I'd love to go to a game at Yankee Stadium this summer.

Asufiji2004
03-27-2005, 09:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? and if your hometown as no team?..Then what, you don't root for that sport? Am I supposed to root for the Chargers because they are geographically the closest professional football team to me? Was I allowed to root for the Stl. Rams when they won the superbowl, because they used to be in Anaheim? This sort of "you can't root for a team if they aren't your hometown team is great for you people that have a professional team from your hometown.

Clarkmeister
03-27-2005, 09:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Baseball needs the Yankees to be good.....I personally don't care who people root for but think its much more interesting when the Yankees are good because of how polarizing they are.

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally disagree. NFL fans thought the same thing about the 49ers and Cowboys, etc, yet parity and a fair economic system have done nothing but make the league stronger.

Dead
03-27-2005, 09:15 PM
Are you suggesting that baseball should institute a salary cap? /images/graemlins/frown.gif

jason_t
[ QUOTE ]
I root for Chelsea in English soccer, since they were the first team I saw when I was a kid and I got attached to them. I'm just attached. But if I was from England and had a hometown team, I would root for them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

However, I grew up in Alaska where there are no professional sports teams. I have no hometown teams.

siccjay
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's because he wanted to bang you.

Clarkmeister
03-27-2005, 09:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Are you suggesting that baseball should institute a salary cap? /images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

duh. A cap, a floor and improved revenue sharing.

Voltron87
03-27-2005, 09:19 PM
It's a generalization. But I'm from NYC, I will never root for a US team not from New York as my favorite team.

jason_t
03-27-2005, 09:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's because he wanted to bang you.

[/ QUOTE ]

"RedDICKulously gay" J.J. has dibs, I'm sure.

nothumb
03-27-2005, 09:22 PM
Those are pretty good reasons. Basically the same reason I was a Sox fan even before moving to the NE (reading Yaz' book, plus my Dad was an Orioles fan so I hated the Yankees already).

Still think hometown fans are the best though... which is why UNC is my favorite team, everrrr!!!!!11!

NT

istewart
03-27-2005, 09:22 PM
As a Yankee fan too, I can somewhat see where you're coming from. In general I truly dislike people that root for college basketball teams with which they have no affiliation, and/or no proximity to the school. The only case I can generally tolerate is if, say, your dad went to UNC, and you've been brought up a die-hard fan.

Often, however, it really boils down to interest. If you live in [censored] China and watch every single Duke basketball game I'll have more respect for you than if you live in Detroit, wear an effing "State" sweatshirt everywhere, and don't know a damn thing about the team. If you follow it, you follow it. College basketball still presents that specific difference in fanbase from professional sports; i.e., I could never really see myself being a true fan of any specific college team, unless I end up moving to College Park or Chapel Hill and it grows on me.

In the end, like I said, if you like the team you like the team. There was nothing quite like walking through campus the day after the Red Sox won and hearing the "curse is over" crap coming out of these pseudo-fans' mouths. I wanted to puke and then murder every single one of them.

zaxx19
03-27-2005, 09:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I happen to be a Yankees fan and a Duke basketball fan

[/ QUOTE ]

YUR LAME

Voltron87
03-27-2005, 09:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

However, I grew up in Alaska where there are no professional sports teams. I have no hometown teams.

[/ QUOTE ]

Living in Alaska is kind of different. I was from Floria, I wouldn't root for Green Bay or the Lakers. I might like them, but not as much as the Dolphins or Marlins, etc.

jdl22
03-27-2005, 09:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I don't care what your story is, you can't be as big a fan as someone from that hometown. It's just not the same. I root for Chelsea in English soccer, since they were the first team I saw when I was a kid and I got attached to them. I'm just attached. But if I was from England and had a hometown team, I would root for them.

[/ QUOTE ]

For me it's similar. I used to like Real Madrid in Spain because when I was in high school one of my best friends was a foreign exchange student from madrid and madridista. In 2000 I studied in Sevilla and now I love Sevilla Futbol Club (see avatar). Sevilla I basically consider my "hometown" team and other than the team that plays Betis they're the only team I go for now.

JTG51
03-27-2005, 09:28 PM
Feeling a little self-conscious?

What are your favorite NFL and NBA teams?

Dead
03-27-2005, 09:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

duh. A cap, a floor and improved revenue sharing.

[/ QUOTE ]

You know, I'm generally inclined to support socialist alternatives, but not in this case.

Uston
03-27-2005, 09:31 PM

Patriots and Pistons...although the Spurs are really starting to grow on him.

Rob Blackburn
03-27-2005, 09:31 PM
I just like to needle you because your a Dook fan, the truth is your just as much a fan as any kid who attended Dook because none of them are from NC either.

I still truly can't concieve how someone can be a big fan of a school when they have never been part of that institution in any capacity or is not at least from the same vicinity.

If you want to be a Dook fan thats your problem, I guess at least your not from Jersey, you got that going for you.

JTG51
03-27-2005, 09:33 PM
"I wore my Yankees apparel the day after our ALCS choke last October. I got a shitload of razzing as well."

Very commendable. It's so tough being a Yankee fan with them only winning four of the last nine World Series.

How can you be a die hard Yankee fan without ever having been to Yankee Stadium?

Clarkmeister
03-27-2005, 09:33 PM
Well of course not, it benefits your team.

It benefits my team too (though not to the same ridiculous extent), I'm just willing to see that it's better for everyone if it's a fair system. The NFL and NBA are great examples of this.

MEbenhoe
03-27-2005, 09:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Feeling a little self-conscious?

[/ QUOTE ]

NFL - Packers and Chiefs

NBA - Bucks

istewart
03-27-2005, 09:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
NBA - Bucks

[/ QUOTE ]

PWNED.

Dead
03-27-2005, 09:38 PM
NBA- Knicks. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Voltron87
03-27-2005, 09:42 PM
He said he's been there, but not for a game.

JTG51
03-27-2005, 09:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He said he's been there, but not for a game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well then, lets pretend that I edited my post adding "for a game" at the end.

JTG51
03-27-2005, 10:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Lmao JDL.

bad argument.

[/ QUOTE ]

By the way, this is wrong. The Yankees averaged 88 wins a year in the 80's (excluding '81), had one season below .500, and led all of baseball in wins in the decade.

Dead
03-27-2005, 10:12 PM
Take a look at their postseason record. Oh, wait.... /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Jack of Arcades
03-27-2005, 10:15 PM
I know how you feel, I get a lot of [censored] for being a Braves fan, especially since everyone here likes the Astros. Then I point out I'm a Saints fan, and a ULL fan. Yeah. That shuts them up.

Voltron87
03-27-2005, 10:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoot!

Giants or Jets?

I'm with the Giants

Dead
03-27-2005, 10:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoot!

Giants or Jets?

I'm with the Giants

[/ QUOTE ]

Bills. I am an upstater after all... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I loves my Billz.

Voltron87
03-27-2005, 10:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoot!

Giants or Jets?

I'm with the Giants

[/ QUOTE ]

Bills. I am an upstater after all... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I loves my Billz.

[/ QUOTE ]

ah, right.

vnh.

Dead
03-27-2005, 10:23 PM
I know you're a secret Bills fan.

You just pretend to like the Giants.

JTG51
03-27-2005, 10:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Take a look at their postseason record. Oh, wait.... /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

So a team has to win the World Series to not suck?

Dead
03-27-2005, 10:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They didn't make the ALCS for 15 straight years.

JTG51
03-27-2005, 10:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They didn't make the ALCS for 15 straight years.

[/ QUOTE ]

So that means they sucked all of those years?

I think your view of sucky has been warped by being a Yankee fan. I just want to hear you say that winning 90 games and missing the post season qualifies as a sucky season.

gamblore99
03-27-2005, 10:29 PM
I don't really follow any sports but I love jumping on the band wagon. When my friends have a team in the playoffs, I become a big fan too and cheer/drink for them. It's fun. Being a badwagon fan has all the perks of being a "true" fan, and none of the downsides. or so i think

Dead
03-27-2005, 10:30 PM
The 1980s are generally considered the worst period in Yankee history. It was like a decade long depression.

It was the only decade from the 20s on in which the Yankees did not win a championship.

JTG51
03-27-2005, 10:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The 1980s are generally considered the worst period in Yankee history. It was like a decade long depression.

It was the only decade from the 20s on in which the Yankees did not win a championship.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the history lesson. I had no idea.

Does winning 90 games and missing the post season qualify as a sucky season?

Dead
03-27-2005, 10:34 PM
For the Yankees, yes.

Every season in which the Yanks don't win a championship is a disappointment for us Yankees fans. You see, we've been accustomed to winning for so long.

James282
03-27-2005, 10:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hell yes, what is with the frowny face? I'm a Mets fan, who abuse the lack of a salary cap as much as any other team, and even if a salary cap was instituted tomorrow and the Mets were screwed for 5 years I would root for it.

I'm a baseball fan first, a Mets fan second.
-James

JTG51
03-27-2005, 10:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
For the Yankees, yes.

Every season in which the Yanks don't win a championship is a disappointment for us Yankees fans. You see, we've been accustomed to winning for so long.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm guessing you don't really remember much about the Yankees in the 80's, do you?

Watching Don Mattingly every day was a great thing.

Dead
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hell yes, what is with the frowny face?
-James

[/ QUOTE ]

Jeez, the Yankees already have to pay a luxury tax. The payroll this year is going to exceed 200 mil. I'd hate to have to cut that down.

Watching the Yankees pick out players is like playing SimCity, only FUNNER /images/graemlins/laugh.gif !

jdl22
only 2 teams do per year. Saying that the Yankees sucked when they were merely mediocre is overkill. Bringing this back to my point earlier I think suffering through seasons where the team is truly bad (and not just mediocre) really bonds you with a team. Similarly making 4 straight super bowls and losing them does the same. I strongly suspect you would be more excited by the Bills winning the super bowl next year than you were when the yankees won their first of the 90's.

That suffering is I think the key, and what you and mbenhoe don't seem to get. He cites one bad season (that he actually cited a season where Duke make the [censored] NCAA tournament makes my point stronger) and you cite a drought where the team wasn't one of the two best in the league. These things aren't bad.

Dead
03-27-2005, 10:37 PM
Well now 3 teams lead divisions, JDL. But you are correct, during the 80s, before there were three divisions and the wildcard, the Yankees did have less success.

MEbenhoe
03-27-2005, 10:38 PM
stop whining so much, your teams suck, we get the point.

James282
03-27-2005, 10:41 PM
Jesus you guys read and reply fast, I edited my post so go check it out again I guess :P
-James

Jack of Arcades
03-27-2005, 10:49 PM
Average divisional finish from 1982-1994: fourth.

jdl22
03-27-2005, 10:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yeah, well answer me this. Who won the first mens NCAA basketball championship?

/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

JTG51
03-27-2005, 10:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Average divisional finish from 1982-1994: fourth.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you saying that's sucky or non-sucky?

And it's 3rd for the decade that we're talking about.

Dead
03-27-2005, 10:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yeah, well answer me this. Who won the first mens NCAA basketball championship?

/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Oregon.

mmbt0ne
03-27-2005, 11:04 PM
I give you a fair share of ribbing, but really I'm cool with it. Big question though, and this is important: Duke vs. Wisconsin, who are you cheering for? Don't give some cop out answer. I had to make this decision with GT/UK and it turned out to be pretty easy after I thought about it. My family can suck it, I'm rooting for the Jackets.

MEbenhoe
03-27-2005, 11:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I give you a fair share of ribbing, but really I'm cool with it. Big question though, and this is important: Duke vs. Wisconsin, who are you cheering for?

[/ QUOTE ]

Duke, without any second thoughts at all. I already faced this dilemma in the 1994 tournament when Duke played Marquette (who I actually cheer for over Wisconsin, since I'm from Milwaukee) in the sweet 16 and it was Duke all the way.

Dead
03-27-2005, 11:44 PM
The Big East will extend its arms and welcome Marquette into the fold. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

MEbenhoe
03-27-2005, 11:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The Big East will extend its arms and welcome Marquette into the fold. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't have high hopes for Marquette next year. Although the fact that they signed Wes Matthews bodes well for them.

Dead
03-27-2005, 11:48 PM
SU
UConn
Pitt
Cincinatti
Louisville
Marquette
DePaul
Villanova
West Virginia

Yeah, Big East will be the toughest next year.

MarkL444
03-27-2005, 11:48 PM
you MAY be an exception but the vast majority of people like you are not. im pretty sure you understand why you are so often accused.

Dead
03-27-2005, 11:49 PM
Did you see SU's two star recruits?

I check Rivals.com a lot and our SG recruit Devendorf has tons of potential. So does Mayben, our PG recruit.

Devendorf should compliment McNamara nicely next year.

http://marquette.rivals.com/commitlist.asp?Year=2005&SID=987&School=78&Sport=2

I see a Sweet 16 for SU next year.

Devendorf can drive inside at will.

http://www.orangenation.net/recruiting/recruiting04/abcd2004_dayone.php

Drac
03-28-2005, 01:41 AM
Fortunately for the rest of the basketball world Boeheim will still be the coach and you'll choke once again.

Dead
03-28-2005, 01:41 AM
Gee, I guess you forgot about 2003.

When has Boeheim choked?

Uston
03-28-2005, 01:54 AM
When has Boeheim choked?

If you don't think losing to a 15 seed (as a 2 seed), a 13 seed (as a 4 seed), and an 11 seed (as a 3 seed) constitute choking, then I guess you don't think any coach has ever choked.

I like Boeheim, but come on.

Dead
03-28-2005, 02:00 AM
If that's your definition of choking then 95% of the coaches in the game have choked.

Uston
03-28-2005, 02:29 AM
Only four two-seeds have ever lost in the first round of the NCAA tournament. It's not something that 95% of coaches have accomplished.

Dead
03-28-2005, 02:30 AM
That Richmond team was good.

tolbiny
03-28-2005, 02:38 AM
dude, ever think of becoming a cleveland fan? You'd fit right in. Pick a sport, any sport (except for indoor soccer, we PWN!(ed) indoor soccer!!!)

tolbiny
03-28-2005, 02:39 AM
"They didn't make the ALCS for 15 straight years. "

you guys are pussies.

jdl22
03-28-2005, 02:40 AM
I live in Pittsburgh and the city as well as its football team have grown on me. Wouldn't really work out.

JaBlue
03-28-2005, 02:40 AM
You don't have true ties to either of those teams and you are therefore the fairweather fan you described. You like the yankees because you played as a yankee in your first baseball leage? Come on.

People call you a fairweather fan because you are. Get over it.

People shouldn't be allowed to like teams they don't have ties to period. You didn't grow up or live in NY, or ever go to yankee stadium for a game. You have no ties to the Yankees.

Similarly, it should be noted that you should only like teams from the same cities IE I am a Yankee fan, Giants fan, and Knicks fan. The knicks and giants have performed abysmally in recent history, but I keep rooting for them because, well, that's what you do when you have ties to the teams.

tolbiny
03-28-2005, 02:41 AM
[censored] you then. pittsburgh sucks!

Rothesburger is going to give us fits for years... goddamn i hope crennel is a good coach.

Dead
03-28-2005, 02:43 AM
Bills.

tolbiny
03-28-2005, 02:45 AM
The best thing that could happen to the mets would be a salary cap. Naybe you wouldn't throw four yera 40 million dollar deals at ever 36 yr old former all star on the market.

MEbenhoe
03-28-2005, 02:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You don't have true ties to either of those teams and you are therefore the fairweather fan you described. You like the yankees because you played as a yankee in your first baseball leage? Come on.

[/ QUOTE ]

First off, yes this is true. Why you'd assume that something I say is a lie when you know nothing about me is beyond me.

Further more, the rest of your statement is purely moronic.

You say you're a Yankee fan, but you probably don't even appreciate them. See I can make dumb statements based off of no facts as well.

Dead
03-28-2005, 02:50 AM
Don't listen to his crap, man.

You're more of a Yankee fan than 90% of the people in NY who wear the cap.

tolbiny
03-28-2005, 02:51 AM
This is total BS- living in a city isn't the only way you can have ties to a team. Any tiny incident or single game can attach you to a team (or make you hate them) its te beauty of sports. Playing for a little league team named the yankees is just as good an excuse as any to root for them. In fact its probably better than most- his choice was totally random and not based upon how much the yankees have won in the past.

JaBlue
03-28-2005, 03:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

First off, yes this is true. Why you'd assume that something I say is a lie when you know nothing about me is beyond me.

Further more, the rest of your statement is purely moronic.

You say you're a Yankee fan, but you probably don't even appreciate them. See I can make dumb statements based off of no facts as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't saying you lied, I was saying that that's a pretty [censored]' weak reason to like a sports team.

Also, I can't prove to you how much I appreciate them but I currently live near SF and I got satellite in order to get NBA league pass and the similar MLB service (can't think of it now) in order to watch the knicks and yankees.

Its cool that you can appreciate the rich history of the team and what not, but just because a team has history that you enjoy reading doesn't mean you should all of the sudden root for them.

You're like the son of a family friend I know who lives in SF who roots for the falcons. I can guarantee you that he knows more about the falcons and michael vick in particular than 95+% of Atlanta-native falcon fans. What spurred his interest in the falcons is Michael Vick and this is similar to being a bandwagon fan and is just wrong.

MEbenhoe
03-28-2005, 03:06 AM
booo you, don't rip on my yankee fandom, i will root for them all i want. Go Yankees!! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

tolbiny
03-28-2005, 03:08 AM
So what you are saying is the only reason to like a sports team is because everyone who lives near you likes that same team?

JaBlue
03-28-2005, 03:11 AM
Why do you think they're called the "New York Yankees" and not the "George Steinbrenner Yankees?"

jstnrgrs
03-28-2005, 03:12 AM
I cannot judge weather or not you are a bandwagon fan or not because I do not know you. What I can say is that I hate the Yankees more than anything. Add to this the fact that I hate Duke more than any college basketball team, and I can say that I hate you.

tolbiny
03-28-2005, 03:24 AM
Whats in a name?

I don't recall ever falling in love with a girl because her name was Trisha, i do however recall falling in love with a girl named Trisha.

Was that wrong?

tolbiny
03-28-2005, 03:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I cannot judge weather or not you are a bandwagon fan or not because I do not know you. What I can say is that I hate the Yankees more than anything. Add to this the fact that I hate Duke more than any college basketball team, and I can say that I hate you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Second!

Eurotrash
03-28-2005, 03:30 AM
wow, you guys are pretty brutal. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I suppose it's only natural that your fandom of these teams is getting this kind of reaction though.. I personally don't like either team.

I think I'm going to claim this opportunity to say that I'm an Oakland A's fan just so that when they take home the WS in a "rebuilding" year like this nobody can claim i'm a bandwagon jumper. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Dead
03-28-2005, 03:31 AM
And how are they going to get past the Yanks?

Eurotrash
03-28-2005, 03:33 AM
they'll find a way. Vermont found a way, I suppose, right? /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

JaBlue
This has nothing to do with what I'm talking about. Sports teams exist to unify cities, states, localities etc. therefore it only makes sense that having ties to that location is the only true reason to be a sports fan for them.

Jack Nicholson goes to every Laker game and also frequents a good deal of Yankee games. Nobod'ys going to say that he doesn't appreciate either team, but it is clear that his motivations for liking the teams aren't what they should be for sports taems.

Dead
This will be a 5 or 7 game series.

Do you really think that Vermont could get the best of SU in a 5-7 game series?

tolbiny
[ QUOTE ]
And how are they going to get past the Yanks?

[/ QUOTE ]

Go down 3-0 and then bitch slap them.

I almost like Boston now,
Almost.

tolbiny
03-28-2005, 03:37 AM
"This has nothing to do with what I'm talking about. Sports teams exist to unify cities, states, localities etc."

Bullshit. sports teams exist because athletics has always been historically important to human beings, physical competition is ingrained in us in many ways. Professional sports exist because some guy found out he could make a buck off them.

JaBlue
03-28-2005, 03:38 AM
You're almost there. Now answer how he makes that buck. Say it with me: by uniting localities.

Eurotrash
03-28-2005, 03:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Do you really think that Vermont could get the best of SU in a 5-7 game series?

[/ QUOTE ]

I really don't, no. my comment there was meant to be a joke on your behalf, not necessarily intended to be analyzed at this length about a series of games..

I'm looking forward to this season though, good luck to both teams /images/graemlins/cool.gif

tolbiny
03-28-2005, 03:48 AM
Uhhhhh inpart.

Uniting localities is a portion of building a fan base, but you would be a moron as an owner to ignore the possbilities of sources of revenue outside of your local area.

But your statement is wrong for a different reason- I don't watch sports because the owners want me to, i watch sports for many reasons, only a few of them are indirectly lined to the owners' handling of the team.

JaBlue
03-28-2005, 03:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
"This has nothing to do with what I'm talking about. Sports teams exist to unify cities, states, localities etc."

Bullshit. sports teams exist because athletics has always been historically important to human beings, physical competition is ingrained in us in many ways. Professional sports exist because some guy found out he could make a buck off them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you root for a country other than your native one in the Olympics?

tolbiny
03-28-2005, 03:51 AM
yes

EDIT: and what the hell do you mean by native?

JaBlue
03-28-2005, 03:52 AM
please tell me you're lying... if not, well, there's no fixing you.

tolbiny
03-28-2005, 03:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

in reference to the olympics? No i am not lying. I have no vested interest in the English Olympic team(s) (well very little). The events that i follow i do out of a personal interest- ie wrestling. I couldn't care less what country is facing who in those contests, but if some guy puts on an amazing display while i am watching- me= instant fan. Why? cause he brought happiness and interest into my life, i was entertained which is what i want.

JaBlue
03-28-2005, 03:59 AM
your attitude towards sports is that of a consumer and not a fan. You're clearly in the same category as a bandwagon fan and that's all there is to it.

tolbiny
03-28-2005, 04:26 AM
Clearly you are a jackass. If you are going to pick a highly commercialized single event that has a high turnover in participents, then yes, i will act like a consumer.

You want to talk passion for sports? My three hometown teams have combined for 0 championships in my lifetime. They have only combined for 2 appearences during my 25 years (19 of which i have lived here) in a championship game/series. My football team- one of the oldest in the league was moved to a different cit- even though it had the 3rd highest attendance in the league at the time, and one of the largest backing groups across the country. In our 5 seasons back we have made the playoffs once (0-1)- picked Tim Couch over Donaven MCnabb, courtney brown over lavar arrington, Gerrard WArren over ANYONE, traded up 1 spot to pick kellon winslow with a team that wasn't going to pick him anyway- and watched the previous head coach of our team from before they moved win three [censored] titles. I have also had the great pleasure of moving here just in time to watch them lose in the final mins of the AFC title game in consecutive years.
My baseball team didn't make the world series from 1954-1995, and they haven't won it since 1948. in 1997 we became the first team ever to lose a game 7 of the world series when leading going into the 9th inning. I have watched a medium market team loose several hall of famers to free agency, and witnessed 105 loss seasons.
The defining moment of my basketball teams exisitance is one of them losing on a last second shot in the confrence finals.

Anyone who has sat through those games, be they from cleveland or Katmandu, Akron ohio, or Athens, Greece, The west side or the west coast, and still puts their hearts into cheering for the browns, indians or cavs is a fan. I will drink a beer with them in a bar bemoaning our luck or raving about lebron. I don't give a [censored] where they live, they are fans in my book.

jdl22
03-28-2005, 04:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're an American how is rooting for other countries' athletes jumping on the bandwagon? We're the dominant country in every major olympic sport except hockey and a couple that somebody else will probably point out at some point. I often root for other countries even against the US because it clearly means more to them than people here. I tend to root for the underdog. I do the same in the NCAA tournament. I was hoping that WVU, Arizona, MSU, and Wisconsin would make it to the final four. I get excited cheering for the 15s over the 2s in the first round.

Does that make me a bandwagon jumper?

Note that I do this when my team (Oregon) isn't in the big dance which is most years. In the olympics I rarely get excited about the US national team because they always win. The only sport where I fully support the US national side is in soccer.

ucfryan
03-28-2005, 05:51 AM
I'm a die hard San Francisco 49er fan born in NoCal. I hate bandwagoners.

Shajen
03-28-2005, 02:10 PM
Duke: 1986 a friend of mine's dad was severely burned in a car fire. Duke Medical saved his life. He brought home (to NM, where I lived) a Duke hat for me. I wore it, started paying attention to the team, decided I liked them and started following the team. 90-92 sealed the deal.

Chicago Bears: was 5 years old, asked to pick a jersey and helmet for a christmas gift. My brother picked the Packers, told me I had to get the Bears to make the rivalry. It's been on ever since then. That's 25 years of suffering (except for the greatest season ever by any team 1985.) (Oh, and the 72 Dolphins don't count.)

Atlanta Braves: 1989 and the Twinkies beating them sealed the deal. IIRC, TBS or Turner or whatever it was back in the day was created (or at least our satellite in NM picked it up) and they started broadcasting the Braves games nationwide. Since NM has absolutely 0 professional teams, I started rooting for the braves.

John Smoltz is my favorite athlete. The man is badassed.

So there. Is it bandwagon if you've been on the wagon since the 80s?

tolbiny
03-28-2005, 02:13 PM
[censored] the braves.

[censored] Duke.

sfer
03-28-2005, 02:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How many of you watch every single game of your favorite college basketball team, and when you can't you're locked to your computer catching every update of the score?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm thankful that I can't say that about any sport, at any time in my life.

Shajen
03-28-2005, 03:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[censored] the braves.

[censored] Duke.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sick of you holding back all the time. Let us know how you really feel.

Hey whatever man. I can say the same things about whatever team you happen to root for /images/graemlins/smile.gif

MEbenhoe
03-28-2005, 03:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How many of you watch every single game of your favorite college basketball team, and when you can't you're locked to your computer catching every update of the score?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm thankful that I can't say that about any sport, at any time in my life.

[/ QUOTE ]

boooo

tolbiny
03-28-2005, 10:29 PM
"Hey whatever man. I can say the same things about whatever team you happen to root for"

That's not true, none of the teams i root for have ever beaten anybody... ever.

I was just doing you the courtesy of treating you like i do all of the "real" duke and braves fans.

EDIT: since i just watched major league i should say that one team i root for did win an amazing game, once. In a movie, and that game was just to make the playoffs.

masse75
03-28-2005, 11:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Despite what you say it's not the same. The Illini fans feel it more than you do. Why do I say this? Because you have never sat through a season where Duke was terrible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, 94-95 Devils sucked. Coach K out with back injury, fell from 1st to 8th in conference. Didn't fully recover until 3 years later.

MLG
03-28-2005, 11:18 PM
The NFL and NBA are two completely different animals. Football can get away with the revenue sharing because almost all of the TV money goes to the League. Basketball can do it because its a soft cap and the league gets the tax when the Knicks et all go over it. Given where Baseball sets its "luxury tax" there aren't enough teams that go over it to distribute money to the tiny teams to bring the floor up to a reasonable level.

LAGmaniac
03-29-2005, 04:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm a die hard San Francisco 49er fan born in NoCal. I hate bandwagoners.

[/ QUOTE ]

NINERS!!!!!!!!!!!
but don't forget the Giants bro, it takes real commitment to stand by them.