PDA

View Full Version : Cost of Golf - Rant and Theory

HDPM
03-27-2005, 08:12 PM
The caddy thread about expensive golf got me thinking-

IMO the key to the current cost of golf was the introduction of the buggy to American fat asses. The buggy allowed a bigger revenue stream for courses which allowed longer and better maintained courses which then required vile housing developments to be built to make the money to pay for the course which required a buggy to navigate since the new Condo Canyons course required the player to have long walks on residential streets between holes. A spiral that started with the American desire to make money and be lazy.

The buggy also got rid of caddies at many places which did a couple of things. Kids had a harder time getting involved in the sport and the kids who were interested couldn't afford it as easily. So now instead of having caddies and a cheap muni course down the road from the country club where the caddies could afford to play, you have an expensive public course and a first tee program. Seems like a lot of effort when you could have just had a cheaper course.

Granted, golf is still affordable many places. I am a member at a cheap private club. The membership cost a dollar in the poor economy a couple years ago. And dues aren't very high for unlimited golf. And our local muni is dirt cheap with a strong junior program. My club is an interesting study in the effect of the buggy tho. The front nine was designed pre-buggy era. It is a nice traditional nine with short walks between holes and no radical designs. The back nine was built in the buggy era. There are plenty of houses to hit balls into, there are long walks between holes. There is paving everywhere. The design sucks. (Although IMO the land is worse on the back nine, but still, IMO the design is worse.) However, our members are cheap. So they always wanted to own their own buggies. So the course doesn't have a lot of buggy revenue. But it does have all the maintenance problems caused by buggies - like having to build a new buggy highway when the old one gets too many pot holes. So we have to pay to fix the blacktop. And we have no caddies and a lousy clubhouse (buggy revenue might have provided the money for a better clubhouse) So I figure we have the worst of both worlds. Buggies, blacktop, no caddies, but no money. It is weird.

Equipment figures into this some. The longer courses helped put the premium on distance, although I suppose the companies would have put technology to work regardless of what else was going on. Also, some of the problems are inevitable as the price of real estate goes up. When the land costs more, more development must go in to pay for it. So longer more expensive condo canyon courses.

Anyway, I guess I am enough of a curmudgeon to think that golf would be OK played on shorter flatter courses by people who walk and hit golf balls that can curve. I don't see why people like the condo lined modern atrocities thay have to pay a lot of money to play on. I don't play a lot of golf courses so I am no expert on architecture, but I really don't get the modern trends. I don't mind paying $25 to play some muni course that is OK vs. paying 200 to ride a buggy on the roads around some pete dye thing or another.

I don't know how to solve it, but I have a few ideas. The USGA needs to reign in the golf ball. And it also needs to try to clean up the cart problem. I am not sure how they can, but I would require any score for handicap purposes to be penalized for the use of a cart unless an affidavit by a treating physician was supplied to the state gofassoc and the USGA. So your 85 shot in the buggy would be adjusted down as a penalty. I think four strokes per round would be fine. Now go try to win your member guest handicapped better ball, although I am sure people would just cheat their way around it. I am not sure what else they could do, and perhaps nobody would go along with this anyway.

I would just like to see more people walking 6400 yard golf courses carrying 10 clubs instead of barrelling around in a buggy with 300 pound golf bags. And I would love to see some kids who need to make a little money get to caddie for people who have made a little money. It is much better than seeing the money go to EZ Go, Yamaha, or the paving company.

Phat Mack
03-27-2005, 11:33 PM
Very nice post. What's a "first tee" program?

I hate buggies, too. The first time I played on a course that allowed them, I couldn't believe how much they slowed down the game. I wonder if any of the private clubs still ban them.

Gotta run, just gotta a double 18.

mmbt0ne
03-27-2005, 11:43 PM
It took me 70% of your post to figure out you were talking about golf carts. Buggies? Do people really call them that? Hmmmm.

I've played both with and without a golf cart, more than often with since we own one. It really doesn't bother me that people play with them, but I can certainly see how a course designed for them would be less appealing. Actually, the newest course in our membership (my family belongs to a 7 course semi-private group) actually does seem to have more of the longer walks/drives between holes. It's also one of the nicest courses in the group though, so I guess it's a trade off.

I don't know, do you really think that they hurt the game in the long run? I don't think I agree with that.

Zeno
03-27-2005, 11:51 PM
I have played golf all of twice in my life; still, I think I can say that I enjoyed your rant. Great Post.

I have a solution. Every golf cart should have at least one machine gun and one large flamethrower, each mounted on a turret. The people that use carts will soon all destroy themselves as the game of golf will quickly degenerate into open warfare. Once the fires, smoke, broken body parts, and blood have settled, the walkers will then rule the golf world. What's left of it, that is.

Le Misanthrope

Edit: I call this the 'Better Living Through Violence' theory.

HDPM
03-27-2005, 11:58 PM
First tee is a program that tries to bring golf to city kids. It is organized and they have little golf holes and group instruction and stuff. I think it is probably a good idea, but I don't know all the details. I saw it last summer when I went to play one of the muni courses I played on as a kid. I hadn't played there in years, but was in town so I played a couple courses I used to play. One day I played the scruffy urban course where I played a lot of high schol golf where they now have a first tee program. In a way these courses are great. They are cheap and decent courses. Both are busy. Too busy probably. They have worked hard to organize the administration of the muni courses in that city and have spent more money on maintenance. So the courses are more popular and harder to get on, and there is increased demand due to population growth and golf's popularity. And they cost more than they used to, but are cheap compared to new courses. Anyway, that is a long way of saying I thought it was ironic that with all the "improvements" kids had a First Tee program, but when I was a kid we could go play all day. 18 holes was like 4.75. An annual pass was cheap. I think 300 for unlimited golf on any city course on weekdays or something. It wasn't uncommon to spend whole days on the muni courses. Play a round or two, practice, etc.... Now it seems to take more effort to get a time and the kids have to have a program. It is good they get better and more organized instruction for the young kids, but I wouldn't trade the ability of a kid to go hang out all day and play. So the clubhouse is nicer and the maintenance is better, but...

HDPM
03-28-2005, 12:02 AM
I think they destroy the game. I don't think it is golf when you play in a cart. I use buggy because it is an old or alternate term that seems derisive. I think it should be called golf.1 or "cart" or something. That said I ride a cart sometime too, but I always feel somewhat guilty. It really isn't golf.

But yes, in the long run they hurt the game and the players.

HDPM
03-28-2005, 12:06 AM
One advantage of the cart is that you can carry a lot of beer or liquor and cigars. Carts are also better if you want to pack a gun. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I have given some thought to getting a cart and taking it to the Pimp My ride people. Some amps and subs would be cool. I could really rile up the slow old boring people who don't like rap.

It is easier to carry a lighter bag and walk tho.