PDA

View Full Version : $5+0,5 hand

valenzuela
03-27-2005, 05:49 PM
Blinds are 75/150. 6 handed...I have 1200( starting chips 1500)

Utg limps( 2000)
Button calls (1700)
Hero...has AA...hero checks planning to push anything.
The flop is KK7...I push..and I get called by K9..did I play it right?

KenProspero
03-27-2005, 05:50 PM
Is there a question?

valenzuela
03-27-2005, 05:52 PM
Youre suppose to say stuff like : i hate ur check, i hate ur bet.etc...ill edit my post.

Costanza
03-27-2005, 05:59 PM
The only argument I've ever heard to limp AA preflop that I like is if you're playing at an agressive table and you think someone behind you will raise, giving you a chance to re-raise. Unless you're the SB (you said CO limped) and you think BB is going to raise against 3 limpers you have to raise this before the flop. A lot.

J-Lo
03-27-2005, 06:00 PM
guh1?!?!? u have 8x BB and have AA in BB vs 2 limpers... either push, or make a raise that pot commits you. Is this hand 3 handed, did someone get knocked out? Need much more info.

KenProspero
03-27-2005, 06:05 PM
Villian limps in pre-flop, then goes all-in when a pair of kings hits the board. Sorta screams like he's hit a set, doesn't it.

On the other hand, in games like these, God only knows what he could be holding.

I don't love slow-playing aces here. First of all, in a game like this, enough players will call, almost no matter what I do, so I don't see the point in waiting.

If you do slow play, there are a number of flops that are 'problematic' to you. Any pair, any three of the same suit, three to a straight. So, I place a nice bet -- say 3xbb, maybe more, pre-flop, to driv away the crap, then fold to the all-in when kings hit the flop

valenzuela
03-27-2005, 06:18 PM
I do very well limping with aces with short stack. Ppl dont let away their TP( and rightly so) I had pushed like 5 times without getting called.

BradleyT
03-27-2005, 06:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I do very well limping with aces with short stack.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then why'd you post?

lastchance
03-27-2005, 06:47 PM
Your opponents only hit TP so much of the time. If you plan on checking preflop, you have to let them make a stab at the pot on the flop, and probably CR all-in.

I have no idea what you are doing here. The only thing checking preflop is let them get away from their hand when they miss.

If they're bad enough to limp preflop, they're bad enough to call your AA all-in. Just plain push preflop, or if you want to trap with 8x BB, CR-All in on the flop. Don't stop and go.

And even with AA, picking up a quarter of your stack is not a bad thing.

KenProspero
03-27-2005, 06:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I do very well limping with aces with short stack.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, here's my problem in responding. If you're going to limp with AA short stack, you need to know what your response will be when a pair (or some other trouble hand) hits the board.

I don't think I can be much help here. Since I don't limp with this hand, I really haven't thought too much about what to do in your situation. Honestly, I suspect that most of the others who regularly respond (and whose advice would otherwise be meaningful) limp with AA either, so they haven't thought about this much.

I don't mean this as a flame. Though I think you're making a -ev play, I also play cheap games, and a lot of weird stuff seems to work against the right player.

valenzuela
03-27-2005, 07:28 PM
Because I do well when the flop is like J74r.

curtains
03-27-2005, 07:33 PM
No, you should raise preflop here. First of all if you raise to 400-450, you are almost guaranteed to get some callers, (Which you would definitely want with AA here) since it's rare people will limp for 150 and then fold for 250-300 more. Note that this doesn't mean I would raise to exactly 400-450, but to me this play is MUCH preferred to checking preflop.

On the flop pushing is a mistake, because you will usually just be called if you are beaten, meanwhile if you are ahead there are very few cards that can come to beat your hand. btw betting the flop wouldn't be such a mistake if the pot was bigger, for example if you had raised preflop.

lastchance
03-27-2005, 07:38 PM
I just took the same line you posted, cept this time for me was ITM, and I checked flop.

Got all in against KT on a T63 board.... K on the turn, and I'm a goner.

valenzuela
03-27-2005, 07:40 PM
Nice logic, btw the 5,5ers are the kings of min-betting aces or kings.

KenProspero
03-27-2005, 08:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the 5,5ers are the kings of min-betting aces or kings.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is one of the reasons the 5.5ers are so beatable.

Benoit
03-27-2005, 08:41 PM
You can't focus on this outcome, so you must focus on the actions you practice.

You are not going to make money off their mistakes if you do not allow for them to make mistakes. Calling the limpers pre-flop means they made no mistake limping in or calling a re-raise, then going all in post-flop means YOU made the mistake and villain made the money off your mistake. Your all-in bet was a mistake because it can only be called by someone who beats you, where a much smaller bet could have defined your hand without making you pot committed.

As others have said, limping in with AA is only proper if you are first to open the pot and there are enough left to act that it is highly likely someone will raise behind you. Limping with AA makes an aggressive player misread you and raise, which is a mistake, hence makes you more money on top of the money you might make when you re-raise