PDA

View Full Version : Taking advantage of sexism online

JAA
10-15-2002, 03:50 AM
Hello all...

Wasn't sure exactly what forum to post this on, but this one seemed somewhat appropriate. I recently began playing online, and since I am only 20 years old (you need to be 21 to be legit to play online) I made an account in my mom's name just to ensure I would have no problems. So, in accordance with that account, my character appearance/information is that of a female.

You wouldn't believe how much of an advantage this is against certain players! When I sit down in a heads-up or short-handed game with males, I get much more than my fair share of the action a lot of the time. Obviously, a lot of players are rational and will play you based on your apparent skills/weaknesses, but there is still a breed of male card player who feels that they should absolutely be able to defeat any female player, specifically short-handed or heads up.

This may sound a little loopy, and at first I thought it was just coincidence. But I play everyday and nothing has changed. Certain male players (I always make a note of them /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif )will make all kinds of plays at me that they would never try agaist other opponents, regardless of the fact that I am a solid player that they have never seen on tilt/playing marginal hands. In fact, after watching me play short-handed for a couple hours one night, one of my friends opened up an account as a female. He was skeptical of what I said until he saw multiple players that he knew from playing with many times before act like completely different players when heads up against me.

I'd love to hear some comments such as Yes that doesn't surprise me/You're smoking something that's ridiculous/Wow I just got dumber from reading your post etc.

Just some food for thought!

-JAA

baggins
10-15-2002, 04:35 AM
yes, that doesn't surprise me...

kudos to you for taking advantage.

10-15-2002, 09:21 AM
I agree with most of this. I believe it's not uncommon for males to take female nicks to take advantage of this.

I don't call this sexism though. It's just playing the opposition. Women tend to play differently than men. There's nothing sexist about that. Poker is a game of incomplete information, you use what you can glean.

I don't like it when people carelessly throw around terms like racism and sexism. You should need a license to use these words.

Besides, as Nigel from Spinal Tap would say, "What's wrong with being sexy?"

10-15-2002, 11:27 AM
One observation on the differences in playing styles - in general, women will be more attuned to a player's emotional reactions, men will be more attuned to cards and probabilities. My wife barely ever plays and has trouble remembering if a flush beats a str8 or vice versa, but she is uncanny when we occaisonally play head up for quarters in reading when I am bluffing. (Granted, she knows me pretty well). Mike Caro had some outrageous observations on playing characteristics of different races/sexes. Very un-p.c., but I have found some validity in them....