PDA

View Full Version : Was I a river wussie?

chesspain
03-27-2005, 04:42 PM
Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

I've been in a fog all day, and I just stopped playing after being at the tables less than one hour given my belief that I was playing like crap, even though the decks were hitting me in the face to the tune of +30BB. My opponent in this hand is also a multitabler, although I don't have a great read on him, except to note that his stats say he is sLA-P after approx. 60 hands.

Preflop: chesspain is BB with J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. CO posts a blind of $2.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">chesspain 3-bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls.

Flop: (10.50 SB) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">chesspain bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, UTG+2 folds, chesspain calls.

Turn: (7.25 BB) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
chesspain checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">chesspain raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">chesspain caps</font>, UTG+1 calls.

River: (15.25 BB) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">chesspain bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, chesspain calls.

Final Pot: 19.25 BB

rmarotti
03-27-2005, 04:48 PM
I think you put exactly the right number of bets in.

CallMeIshmael
03-27-2005, 04:50 PM
I dig it.

PassiveCaller
03-27-2005, 04:57 PM
We lose to AJ, A2, and A3... if he's loose passive I'm not so sure A2 or A3 is a strong possiblilty and AJ there's only 2 combinations of remaining. It seems like there's a pretty good chance he's overplaying AQ, or even AK here. Most of the time I'd probably play this the same way you did but I don't think a 3-bet is awful here and I'd tend to chip spew in this position from time to time because I think there's a decent chance of us still holding the best hand by the river. 60 hands isn't a huge amount for a read either...

ErrantNight
03-27-2005, 05:59 PM
nah. you only fear that last J... but AJ is an extremely reasonable holding for him to play like this. you don't want to see the river capped... so you can't 3-bet.

chesspain
03-27-2005, 06:39 PM
Opponent showed A /images/graemlins/spade.gif K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, and MHWG.

CallMeIshmael
03-27-2005, 06:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Opponent showed A /images/graemlins/spade.gif K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, and MHWG.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought it was unlikely that he had AK (even offsuit) because the player you described would tend to cap in this situation, because of the presence of the third player's likely inferior hand.

Clearly, he would be WAY over doing AQ here, so you could assume that hand isnt overly likely either. Leaving AJ.

Outta curiosity: did you expect him to cap with AKo preflop in this situation?

Luv2DriveTT
03-27-2005, 06:47 PM
3-bet. wuss.

How often do you see an UTG+1 raise AJ pre flop? How often do you see ATs raise this river to try to save their hand? Yes a hand like A2 will probably call you down to the river, but in the long run you are most likely ahead if you 3 bet the river every time.

TT /images/graemlins/club.gif

Luv2DriveTT
03-27-2005, 06:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Outta curiosity: did you expect him to cap with AKo preflop in this situation?

[/ QUOTE ]

If he is a thinking player, then I like the villain not capping pre-flop, so he can expect the Hero to bet the flop for him. If that was intentional by the villain, then I'd say that was one nice play!

CallMeIshmael
03-27-2005, 07:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If he is a thinking player, then I like the villain not capping pre-flop, so he can expect the Hero to bet the flop for him. If that was intentional by the villain, then I'd say that was one nice play!

[/ QUOTE ]

In your opinion, do you think this is worth giving up:

1) 2sbs from a likely inferior hand
2) 2sbs of dead money if other player folds?

Luv2DriveTT
03-27-2005, 07:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Theres is probably no way that anyone is folding even if the villain did cap pre-flop, which means that would have added 2sb's to the pot (besides the heros). The hero would likely check, and then then the villain would bet.

On the flip side the way the villain played it he loses the opportunity to make 2SBs pre-flop, but gains the ability to isolate the hero on the flop. Its some pretty good level two thinking, i likey!

CallMeIshmael
03-27-2005, 07:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Theres is probably no way that anyone is folding even if the villain did cap pre-flop, which means that would have added 2sb's to the pot (besides the heros). The hero would likely check, and then then the villain would bet.

On the flip side the way the villain played it he loses the opportunity to make 2SBs pre-flop, but gains the ability to isolate the hero on the flop. Its some pretty good level two thinking, i likey!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not saying I don't understand the play.

I'm just curious IF you think the equity you have in the 2sbs that not are going in the pot can be made up for by the abilty to isolate hero.

(I don't think you need to reply. Clearly you are a fan of the play, and thus your answer is yes.)

Luv2DriveTT
03-27-2005, 08:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Clearly you are a fan of the play, and thus your answer is yes.

[/ QUOTE ]

zephed56
03-28-2005, 08:08 AM
http://www.sewing.org/enthusiast/assets/images/jean_skirt.gif