PDA

View Full Version : An old hand revisted - TT - River value bet?

GoblinMason (Craig)
03-27-2005, 04:37 PM
This was the first hand I posted in SS. I'm reposting it because looking back I'm not sure about some of the advice I got. No cheating with the search function now.../images/graemlins/grin.gif

Comments on the river please.

Early in the session, no reads.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, BB folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, CO calls.

Flop: (11.50 SB) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, CO folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP2 calls.

Turn: (8.75 BB) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, MP2 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP2 folds.

River: (10.75 BB) K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets...</font>

rmarotti
03-27-2005, 04:46 PM
Looks fine.

PassiveCaller
03-27-2005, 04:51 PM
It's closer since it's a diamond and an overcard.. but I still value bet since we can't pull up everytime a scare card hits and I'd still expect a bunch of crap to call that you beat.

adamstewart
03-27-2005, 04:54 PM
I think this is a rather standard hand. Well played.

The only real "decision" comes on the flop: whether to raise the flop, or wait to see what the turn brings before raising.

When the action comes to you on the flop, the pot is large, and the other two that are still in are not going to fold. HOWEVER, your raise is clearly for VALUE - and I think this is the best way to play it, as you did.

Another key advantage to raising the flop is that in can potentially earn you a FREE SHOWDOWN if the board gets too scarey later on (i.e. bet the turn, check the river).

Waiting till the turn to raise is not the best play, IMO, for a number of reasons. There is no guarantee either of these players want to stick around and pay you off on the turn. Further, let's say a Q or J falls on the turn... UTG+1 bets into you again... do you really feel confident raising now? Simply calling again would arguably be too passive, and now you'll be wishing you had of raised the flop.

Regarding the river: Bet and fold to a check-raise. Simple.

Adam

Luv2DriveTT
03-27-2005, 06:18 PM
If the opponent is loose I bet, and with some players I might even call a raise.

TT /images/graemlins/club.gif