PDA

View Full Version : Pocket Kings

chuki
03-27-2005, 03:32 PM
First post ever. I played mainly in low-limit games, but have been playing middle-limit in last few months. Still trying to learn the game.

20-40 game at TS

Hero raises UTG with K /images/graemlins/diamond.gifK /images/graemlins/spade.gif
everyone folds to SB, calls, BB, calls

flop comes Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

SB checks, BB checks, hero bets.

SB raises, BB re-raises, hero folds.

Comments?
was this too weak-tight? or should I have re-raised?

jayheaps
03-27-2005, 04:32 PM
i would have checked behind. I big heart is not folding on this flop. The only reason to bet is to get a medium heart to fold. Since a UTF raise got cold called in 2 places, odds are that opponents have big calls. I would check behind and call down the rest of the way if no heart comes.

BigSkiRace
03-27-2005, 05:19 PM
I play that game a good amount, are SB and BB unknown? Thats really weird seeing a checkraise on the flop, I think you have to call down.

DrGutshot
03-27-2005, 05:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i would have checked behind. I big heart is not folding on this flop. The only reason to bet is to get a medium heart to fold. Since a UTF raise got cold called in 2 places, odds are that opponents have big calls. I would check behind and call down the rest of the way if no heart comes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Am I horribly out of touch with live games? I cap this almost all the time unless I have a very good read on the players.

I would expect to see a pair with a strong heart fairly often here.

-DrG

jayheaps
03-27-2005, 06:33 PM
Assuming they both have something and you aren't behind a set (which has a decent chance., capping is a -EV play. There is only one card that helps you improve, and 20 hurt you. (9 hearts, 3 aces 2 queens and 6 "pair cards". So basicall you need to duck 1/2 the deck twice. which almost no redraw. While folding is tough to say without a good read, i definitely dont want to be put more money in this pot.

Let's look at the 2 most likely hands to be check-3betting.

-a set with a heart
-Ace of hearts, queens.

Against the first you are drawing to one out and still need ot duck a heart.

Against the second situation you are a 52-48 underdog.

imported_stealthcow
03-27-2005, 06:40 PM
no i think the shorthanded maniacs have gotten a bit to your head.

i think i'd take the passive line and call. re evaluate the action to you. a bet and a raise and i toss it. a bet and a call and i'll probably call along. you aren't getting the big heart draws to fold and you may very well have the best hand.

stealthcow