PDA

View Full Version : Where does the B&M tourney entry fee go?

bpb
03-27-2005, 02:57 PM
The Party Poker PPM IV just concluded. There were over 700 entries, each contributing $10,000 + $500 to play in the tournament. This amounts to over $350,000 collected in tournament entry fees.

Of this $350,000, approximately $0 was spent on the dealers.

Where did the money go?

daryn
03-27-2005, 03:07 PM
people often run tournaments to turn a profit. no surprise there really.

are you sure no cut of the fee went to the dealers? it usually does.

Luv2DriveTT
03-27-2005, 03:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
people often run tournaments to turn a profit. no surprise there really.

are you sure no cut of the fee went to the dealers? it usually does.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes the dealers are paid a flat fee in leu of a cut. Since this tourny is on a boat, that might be a part of it.

Keep in mind a large portion of the 350k must go towards paying for the accomodations.

TT /images/graemlins/club.gif

daryn
03-27-2005, 03:24 PM
i wasn't even talking about the boat specifically. they take fees in almost all b&m tourneys. it's just rake baby /images/graemlins/smile.gif, might as well ask where the rake goes in cash games.

bpb
03-27-2005, 03:29 PM
The dealers were paid $0 to deal on the cruise ... whether it was cash games or live games. They received tips only. (3% was withheld from the main event's prize pool)

They did not pay for their cabin, but were responsible for port charges. (around $400 pp) Maybe that's a reasonable tradeoff.

It just seems like the dealers got stiffed by not receiving any base pay. A lot of the dealers I spoke to were unhappy, and did not plan on returning next year.

Mike Gallo
03-27-2005, 03:34 PM
To the house. How do you expect the house to profit?

bpb
03-27-2005, 03:45 PM
My question was mostly rhetorical. Of course its profit.

My point is that in most B&M tournaments, I would think that dealer base pay is a huge portion of the operating cost of the tournament.

But maybe the cost of the cabin cancels out the normal base pay they'd receive.

Luv2DriveTT
03-27-2005, 04:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
might as well ask where the rake goes in cash games.

[/ QUOTE ]

No comment. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

TT /images/graemlins/club.gif

stabn
03-27-2005, 05:01 PM
They took 3% out of the prizepool for dealers btw. So no dealers didn't get any of the fee.

stabn
03-27-2005, 05:03 PM
3% of the prize pool was aprox 225000. How many dealer hours were there for the tournament?

banditbdl
03-27-2005, 08:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My point is that in most B&M tournaments, I would think that dealer base pay is a huge portion of the operating cost of the tournament.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're likely pretty far off here. I don't have any intimate knowledge of where that cash goes, but I'd wager that the vast majority just goes to the house cut since they are only going be paying the dealer's minimum wage or less and letting them rely on tips to make up the remaineder. (The 3% they pull out of the prize pool is kind of like a hidden tip as far as I know.)

Jax_Grinder
03-31-2005, 01:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Keep in mind a large portion of the 350k must go towards paying for the accomodations.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is flat wrong. The overwhelming majority of players won entries via PP satellites which, if you look at the numbers, compensated for the total cost of the prize package (cruise, cabin, $$ and buy-in). The $350K is pure income. What their overhead is for the tourney is anyones guess, but a $500M company surely expects to come out ahead on this venture (plus whatever WPT pays them to license the broadcast rights).