PDA

View Full Version : Yes I play trash in the BB

tbach24
03-27-2005, 02:47 PM
So here's the scenario:
I got home from FLA at like 4 yesterday and was dead tired, but after some Dunkin' Donuts I'm ready to play some cards. Unfortunately the kid planning on hosting decides he doesn't feel like playing cards so I'm hanging out with my bro and a friend and at 12 AM he calls up and says he's having a game.

The players:
Me- I have a tricky but solid image. I'm very capable of laying down a hand when I feel it's warranted, but sometimes (when tired or tilting) make bad decisions. I am pretty tight PF, and no one has seen me show down much due to my agressive nature.
DB- My brother who is on and off tilt and can't seem to ever try. He's good when trying, but is playing like trash tonight.
Wes- He takes too many flops and is too passive. Loves slowplaying and bluffs here and there.
+EVan- The player at the table who's game I respect the most. He is a time-to-time 2+2er and is very capable of making big laydowns and he shows me a lot of respect. He was the villain in my semi-bluff hand. Raises a lot of marginal hands pre-flop.
Graham- Somewhat TAG player, but he overplays his hands a lot and loves slowplaying. I have seem him try to emulate his hero (+EVan) and try to play tricky, but for the most part I dominate him.
Alex- Graham's brother who is tight/weak and really sucks, he's not too involved in the hand or any hands I played against him, so I won't break it down too much.

.25/.5
Me- 75
DB (CO)- 40
Wes (MP)- 30
+EVan (UTG)- 80
Graham (Button)- 35
Alex (SB)- 30

+EVan raises UTG to 1.5, the whole table calls to me and I call in the BB with J2o.

Flop is JT6 rainbow
It checks around. Graham deliberates for a bit before checking.

Turn is 2 completing the rainbow (pot = 9)
I grab a handful of chips (4 total) and toss them into the pot. It folds to Graham who min-raises. I think for a bit and then call.

River is Kx. (pot = 25)
I check, Graham plays with his chips for a while and bets out 10. I think for about 3 minutes, flip my cards face up, think for about 3 minutes more and reluctantly toss in two red chips.

So, I am pretty sure where I messed up on this hand, but I'd like to see what others think. Also, I haven't posted in over a week and felt like posting today.

amoeba
03-27-2005, 02:50 PM
I'm not sure whats wrong with it.

BobboFitos
03-27-2005, 02:51 PM
teddy, this was bad.

edit - you know what i mean

soah
03-27-2005, 02:52 PM
I don't care how many people are in the pot, my VP$IP with J2o will forever remain zero unless my entire stack is something like three times the size of the big blind.

edit - ignoring headsup play etc

amoeba
03-27-2005, 02:54 PM
when I said I'm not sure whats wrong I meant post flop play not preflop call.

tbach24
03-27-2005, 02:55 PM
I know, I know. The PF call was bad, but I felt like taking a flop. I was just so much better post-flop than the rest of these guys (besides +EVan who was as good as me) that I felt it was worth it. So can you critique the rest of the hand please and ignore PF?

soah
03-27-2005, 03:01 PM
The only reason you wanted to play this hand was because you could outplay your opponents postflop. Given that, how can I critique it?

tbach24
03-27-2005, 03:02 PM
That wasn't the only reason. I just felt like taking a flop. I could outplay them for the most part, but here I was a bit confused. Can we just call it a "misclick"?

jtr
03-27-2005, 04:08 PM
Can't see any big problems apart from the preflop issue that has already been commented on. I quite like the line -- am I missing something? I don't think you have enough of a hand to fire back at Graham's turn minraise, and I think calling is actually the best move here (although maybe this is what you're beating yourself up over as it feels too passive?). Given your check on the river, I wouldn't have hesitated to call for $10. Surely you can never have that good a read on this Graham character for the straight or a better two pair?

amoeba
03-27-2005, 04:54 PM
the only other way to play it was to fold to the turn minraise or fold to the river value bet.

I see no other alternatives.

tbach24
03-27-2005, 07:24 PM
He had 99 and MHIG. What about a blocking bet? Would that have been preferable on the river?

xorbie
03-27-2005, 09:55 PM
I don't see why. It's a relatively drawless board, but your play on the turn makes it seem like you might have a weak jack that can be put off a hand. I think your hand is good often enough here for this to be considered inducing a bluff.

jtr
03-27-2005, 11:55 PM
I think a blocking bet on the river into a guy like Graham is in danger of being seen for exactly what it is and thus helping him to put you on a hand. Which could lead to a big raise you don't want to see. No, really, I think you played it right all the way.