PDA

View Full Version : Whisky of the month....Aprils edition early

Mike Gallo
03-27-2005, 02:30 PM
I just picked up Labrot& Graham's Woodford Reserve.

Pretty nice so far /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Mayhap
03-27-2005, 02:39 PM
That is definitely the BEST Bourbon for the money.

/M (a whiskey, Red Sox and Patriots fan)

Rhone
03-27-2005, 02:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I really liked this, too. Who puts out the whisky of the month?

Luv2DriveTT
03-27-2005, 03:19 PM
Mike:

Are you keeping a journal of your tastings? I reccomend saving 2 shots from each bottle as a reserve to do some blind tastings 2x a year, for the ultimate whisky shootout.

TT /images/graemlins/club.gif

Mike Gallo
03-27-2005, 03:37 PM
My guy at the liquor store recommended the same thing.

So far I have a drink of Jack Daniels single barrel, Old Rip Van Winkle and Makers Mark.

Excellent idea.

Luv2DriveTT
03-27-2005, 03:39 PM
Start a Gallo's Tasting blog. Nice...

TT /images/graemlins/club.gif

Mike Gallo
03-27-2005, 03:40 PM
Who puts out the whisky of the month?

Since January I have sampled a different whiskey whisky every month and posted about it.

Rhone
03-27-2005, 04:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Since January I have sampled a different whiskey whisky every month and posted about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, I must have missed your earlier posts. BYW, that old Rip Van Winkles is awesome. I liked the Woodford, but I thought the ORVW was much better (but more expensive iirc).

Mike Gallo
03-27-2005, 04:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, I must have missed your earlier posts. BYW, that old Rip Van Winkles is awesome. I liked the Woodford, but I thought the ORVW was much better (but more expensive iirc).

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, so far its a tie between Makers Mark and Old Rip Van Winkle.

HDPM
03-27-2005, 04:22 PM
Yes, that is a very good bourbon. I should drink more of it. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ulysses
03-27-2005, 04:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Another good one.

I recommend Basil Hayden, Blanton's, Booker's and Knob Creek as your next four, in no particular order. And then Baker's and Evan Williams.

HDPM
03-27-2005, 04:25 PM
Is that the evan williams sigle barrel? I tried a bottle recently and didn't like it all that well. I prefer makers, knob and woodford to it.

Mike Gallo
03-27-2005, 04:45 PM
I recommend Basil Hayden, Blanton's, Booker's and Knob Creek as your next four, in no particular order.

I plan on getting Blantons the next go around. I like the bottle /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Ulysses
03-27-2005, 04:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is that the evan williams sigle barrel? I tried a bottle recently and didn't like it all that well. I prefer makers, knob and woodford to it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. It is not my favorite either, but a lot of people really love it, so I tacked it on there at the end.

poincaraux
03-28-2005, 11:07 AM
I'm a low-stakes player who likes to stick with obviously +ev selections like Auchentoshan. Every once in a while, though, I like to take shots at the mid limits. I got a bottle of Bookers a few weeks ago and it's fantastic. Good recommendation.

My friends seem to like it too, unlike the Ardbeg (I haven't read many of the scotch posts here .. does Ardbeg put me squarely out of the mainstream?). I'll have to paw through this forum for some other good recommendations now. Thanks.

MaxPower
03-28-2005, 11:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm a low-stakes player who likes to stick with obviously +ev selections like Auchentoshan. Every once in a while, though, I like to take shots at the mid limits. I got a bottle of Bookers a few weeks ago and it's fantastic. Good recommendation.

My friends seem to like it too, unlike the Ardbeg (I haven't read many of the scotch posts here .. does Ardbeg put me squarely out of the mainstream?). I'll have to paw through this forum for some other good recommendations now. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ardbeg is excellent. My favorite scotch.

STLantny
03-28-2005, 12:01 PM
Im not a huge fan of Woodford, but its decent. If you ever have a chance to sample it, THE BEST bourbon, (this is comming from someone who has tried every bourbon ever) is Elmer T. Lee special reserve, you may be able to get it over the net, otherwise you have to travel to KY to get it.