PDA

View Full Version : Poker site design/interfaces--why so terrible? What do we want?

alfatcat
03-27-2005, 12:50 PM
Seems like every day there is a post of with someone complaining about how completely miserable the interface is at Absolute Poker (distracting ,seizure inducing, slow and computer resource gobbling!) And I agree. Absolute (and I don't mean to single out Absolute) is a perfect example of a site where I would rather play PP without a bonus than Absolute with a bonus (though it did take me a while to figure that out)

Pretty much all of the sites, even our favorites like PP have really obvious problems. And I'm amazed when sites that clearly have a lot of backing and have spent a lot of time and money completely miss the boat (I'm thinking of Full Tilt--Avatars that can change expression, that's you're innovation? You gotta be kidding!)

If a few of these sites spent a fraction of what they've spent on reload bonuses (heck if they just too the reload bonuses I've gotten) and paid a designer they would be MUCH better off and might actually create some real competitive advantage.

So what do I want?
A clear interface that helps me play poker rather than distract me from it. (many sites try to do some of these, few do all of them well)

The design should enhance the experience by clearly helping me to follow the action :
* Who is acting?
* Who is still in the hand?
* How big is the pot?
* No distracting useless graphical elements like huge patterns on floor tiles, tables to put your "virtual drinks" (how completely inane is that?), etc.

Make use of data
* Automatic Hand histories
* Easily Accessible Table Stats

Facilitate Gameplay
* Mini View or adjustable size tables for multitabling
* mouse and keyboard interface (customizable)

I am definitely NOT an expert on user interfaces, design theory, etc. but to paraphrase Potter Stewart, I know crap when I see it!

What features would a site have if you were designing it?