PDA

View Full Version : determining pre-flop play, need help!

lotus776
03-27-2005, 12:01 PM
Aside from seeking reference from a "start chart" from any beginnning book of hold'em what are some of the guidelines that revolve around the facts that allow a call preflop. I am very familiar with various start charts based on flush, straight, high pair, etc... potential but what is criteria that other players use to determine a call if there any number of given situations involving 9-10 players? For example: seated last, TTH says it's okay to play KXs to a called pot but what do you do when someone raises, and how do you determine that? what if the hand I mentioned harbors a habitual raiser? Anyway there are millions of combinations one could go through to see that the start charts although helpful are not the only thing I need. pot odds, implied odds, previous texture of the game, what is it that makes it okay to call pre-flop? Any help would be appreciated

-Brent

Harv72b
03-27-2005, 12:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
there are millions of combinations one could go through

[/ QUOTE ]

As you point out, your question is far too general. Over time, a lot of the more borderline call/fold situations tend to sort themselves out in your mind. Until then, post specific hands/questions and you'll get some good feedback here.

In the specific question you posed, I would fold KXs from LP (the LP is key--you shouldn't be playing KXs from up front) to a raise, even from a crazy LAG. My general rule vs. a maniac is, if I wouldn't be comfortable enough with my cards to cap against him with top pair, I'm not getting involved in the hand. The flush potential alone just isn't worth calling 2 cold, no matter how loose the raiser and how many others are in the hand.