PDA

View Full Version : Pocket 10's on th ebutton, good or bad push?

deepsquat
03-27-2005, 05:18 AM
Getting late into the tourney, im coming about 90th out of 190, chip leader is on 100K.

UTG open limps for 2000, UTG + 1 calls, its folded to me on the button with pocket 10's- I PUSH.

What do u think?

No reads a i was new to the table.

Thanks

sirio11
03-27-2005, 05:39 AM
You need to post the size of the stacks of the players involved in the hand. But usually that is the move, to push.

deepsquat
03-27-2005, 06:41 AM
sorry, UTG had T5000 and UTG+1 had T17000.

partygirluk
03-27-2005, 07:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
sorry, UTG had T5000 and UTG+1 had T17000.

[/ QUOTE ]

and u?

deepsquat
03-27-2005, 09:12 AM
/images/graemlins/blush.gif I had 12000 chips, sorry i was in a rush

Bigdaddydvo
03-27-2005, 10:44 AM
You probably have the best hand at this point...and TT is a tough hand to take a flop with. Unless someone was trying for the limp-reraise, you should be in good shape. Good move.

willie
03-27-2005, 12:12 PM
it's a fine play, but i'm typically nervous when someone limps for 2/7ths of their stack. They want action, and are not comign off the hand so i assume you got crippled by the utg limper here....

not much else you can do

Masquerade
03-27-2005, 01:30 PM
Im very suspicious of the UTG player limping here. In this sort of tourney situation I limp here with not just AA but also KK and QQ. I'm not backing down pre-flop but I'd prefer to see that an ace hasnt flopped. Not sure the push is a great move.

Bigdaddydvo
03-27-2005, 01:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Im very suspicious of the UTG player limping here. In this sort of tourney situation I limp here with not just AA but also KK and QQ. I'm not backing down pre-flop but I'd prefer to see that an ace hasnt flopped. Not sure the push is a great move.

[/ QUOTE ]

Late in MTTs I see plenty of bad players trying to limp with less than premium hands...just trying to see a flop. They lack the heart to raise a KJs, 77, or ATo in early position, and don't have the brain to throw it away. So a limp, in my mind the worst available option, makes the most sense to them. That's the main reason I like to push here...to put the limpers to the test with marginal hands.

captainzodiac
03-27-2005, 03:13 PM
i came out great in this situation myself not long ago,i had tt in sb,and utg and utg+1 both made min raise and smooth call ,i decide to call also in sb with tt,flop comes jt3,and i check my trips,both aa and kk go all in from utg and utg+1 ,and i bust both,so i see limping here as a possible play for you.
with 2 limps from utg and utg+1,i'm expecting 1 to have aa or kk,most likely utg not utg+1,you can get away from this with a call,and see a flop,if all come under your tt and no one pushes,you'll win an ok sized pot,and if someone pushes you can give them credit for having that hand.
another option is min raise and see if anyone comes over the top,then you can be assured you are up against aa or kk,but that takes away your chance to flop trips and bust 2 players. all in all i'd rather not have tt in this spot,it's a tough one!

deepsquat
03-27-2005, 08:17 PM
Good reads guys. UTG had AKo, UTG+1 had QQ.

Flop came Q74 and it was all over.

So is a minny raise prob the way to go or is this just a hand you need to push and hope for the best when you are middle of the road in chips?

kuro
03-27-2005, 10:37 PM
This is a very very easy preflop push. You have 6 x the bb way out of the money and this is quite likely the best hand you will see before you get blinded out. Calling is bad because you don't have enough chips to fold on the flop and you don't have enough chips to make it incorrect for people to fold their draws. So you push to keep the blinds out and try to get it heads up. If someone else has a bigger pair it's just too bad because you don't have the stack to get away from their trap.