PDA

View Full Version : The Shins

istewart
03-27-2005, 04:52 AM
Me, I'd probably say Chutes Too Narrow but it's very close.

zaxx19
03-27-2005, 04:54 AM
We have all seen Garden St...

But how many people are really THAT into The Shins?

Thats not to say I dont dig the 8 tracks ive dwnloaded from them. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

jason_t
03-27-2005, 04:58 AM
I agree, it is incredibly close. But I go with Oh, Inverted World.

"I think I'll go home and mull this over before I cram down my throat. At long last it's crashed, it's colossal mass has broken up into bits in my moat..."

istewart
03-27-2005, 05:00 AM
"Caring is Creepy" and "New Slang" are two of the four best songs on OIW, which sucks because everyone and their mother has now heard them a million times. "Girl on the Wing" is also amazing.

Right now I've got Elliott Smith's "Son of Sam" stuck in my head. You know that one, jason /images/graemlins/wink.gif

jason_t
03-27-2005, 05:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
"Caring is Creepy" and "New Slang" are two of the four best songs on OIW, which sucks because everyone and their mother has now heard them a million times. "Girl on the Wing" is also amazing.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is the other one? I think that "Know Your Onion!" and "Your Algebra" are amazing.

[ QUOTE ]
Right now I've got Elliott Smith's "Son of Sam" stuck in my head. You know that one, jason /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been on "Strung Out Again" lately. And from Figure 8, "L.A." /images/graemlins/smile.gif

istewart
03-27-2005, 05:11 AM
"Know Your Onion," most likely.

There are a few songs on Chutes Too Narrow that I think are better than anything on OIW, namely "Saint Simon," "So Says I," and "Gone For Good." The whole way through, OIW might actually edge it out, song-for-song, though.

jason_t
03-27-2005, 06:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
"Know Your Onion," most likely.

There are a few songs on Chutes Too Narrow that I think are better than anything on OIW, namely "Saint Simon," "So Says I," and "Gone For Good." The whole way through, OIW might actually edge it out, song-for-song, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just listened to both albums and want to add that "Kissing the Lipless" is also a great song off the second album.

mantasm
03-27-2005, 06:59 AM
I like chutes too narrow better but I think o inverted world is the better album, if that makes sense.

sfer
03-27-2005, 07:10 AM
Inverted World has that spacey, dreamy quality that I like better. And a buddy of mine scored tickets for them again so I'll be seeing them in April.

sfer
03-27-2005, 07:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
We have all seen Garden St...

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't. And there was a time a couple of years ago, after Chutes was recorded but before it was released, when their "sellout" moment wasn't a movie soundtrack but a McDonalds commercial.

JMP300z
03-27-2005, 10:35 AM
Love the shins...

Oh and Speed Trials and Bled White...

bd8802
03-27-2005, 01:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Me, I'd probably say Chutes Too Narrow but it's very close.

[/ QUOTE ]

I prefer the ambience of Oh, Inverted World over the heavier Chutes Too Narrow. I do not think it is close, even though they are both great disks.

/bd

bd8802
03-27-2005, 01:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
But how many people are really THAT into The Shins?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think there is a bigger group of "indie rock" listeners than you think. I knew about them well before Garden State. But I do like that they have gotten more airplay since the success of that movie.

The Shin's are one of the first bands i suggest listening to for people that are moving outside of what it played on mainstream radio and tv. I think their music is accessible to a majority of people that really like music.

Soul Daddy
03-27-2005, 01:50 PM
My first instinct was OIW, but that's just the New Slang talking. Kissing the Lipless, Pink Bullets, Saint Simon, & A Call to Apathy swing my vote to Chutes.

They'll Soon Discover from the Spongebob soundtrack is the jam.

Jack of Arcades
03-27-2005, 04:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Inverted World has that spacey, dreamy quality that I like better.

[/ QUOTE ]

And Chutes too Narrow has that more straightforward, poppy quality that I like better.

sfer
03-27-2005, 05:05 PM
nh

ThaSaltCracka
03-27-2005, 05:06 PM
I am not surprised by the results.