PDA

View Full Version : hand selection guidelines for small stakes 6max tables

dark_horse
03-27-2005, 04:25 AM
i'm very well versed in hand selection/raising standards based on situation for full ring games, but a bit lost when it comes to 4-6 handed games at the 1/2 and 2/4 limits. any good online reading material out there? i'm surprised not to see some kind of FAQ in this forum.

Victor
03-27-2005, 04:58 AM
just use the same hand selection guidlines as if everyone folded to you at that pos in a full.

dark_horse
03-27-2005, 05:01 AM
my PFR in 10k hands of 1/2 is at like 8 so it looks like i'm going up to 10.

i'm just wondering how playable those silly starting hands like JT, QT, QJ, or even J9o and Q9o are.. it's folded to you on the button and you've got J9o. raise? confused!

i'm getting ready to play lots of 1/2 6m to get ready for 2/4 full ring because i think there will be more heads up action.

Victor
03-27-2005, 05:10 AM
ur post is funny.

your pfr should be at least 16.

raise all those hands anywhere. just fold them to a early raise.

[ QUOTE ]
i'm getting ready to play lots of 1/2 6m to get ready for 2/4 full ring because i think there will be more heads up action.

[/ QUOTE ]

i wouldnt worry too much about it.

dark_horse
03-27-2005, 05:17 AM
funny, ha ha?

i see greater swings in short handed play. why do people play them if it requires more skill? you can play a very unimaginative style playing small stakes full ring games and make a nice profit. in short games, you have to play more imaginatively and aggressively. can get expensive...

tolbiny
03-27-2005, 05:21 AM
because you can get 60% more hands per hour- making that much more money... yo ucan also win more bb/100, making even more money.

Plus betting and raiseing are fun. and you get to do that a lot to.

Victor
03-27-2005, 05:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
why do people play them if it requires more skill? you can play a very unimaginative style playing small stakes full ring games and make a nice profit. in short games, you have to play more imaginatively and aggressively. can get expensive...

[/ QUOTE ]

thats exactly why i play it..

ProfLupin
03-27-2005, 08:13 AM
Short-handed requires more skill and imagination? No wonder I love the game so much!

Seriously though, full ring games require skill and imagination also, just not on as many or frequent hands you are dealt so it gets the lable "unimaginative" and "ABC" etc. Just remember how eye opening Miller's Small Stakes Holdem was when you started reading his post-flop sections. Full ring takes skill and imagination too.

sumdumguy
03-27-2005, 09:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
in short games, you have to play more imaginatively and aggressively. can get expensive...

[/ QUOTE ]
It can be very expensive if one is too imaginitive.

Transference
03-27-2005, 10:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It can be very expensive if one is too imaginitive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, overadjusting can be a pretty common mistake comming into 6max from full IMO. Playing as if its folded to you in MP in a full ring is a good start. Also be very aggressive with your blind steals. You should definately be showing a VPIP over 20, once your hitting that over a good number of hands and your comfortable work on bringing in closer to 25. Be persistant in finding good tables and be prepared to have a highly adaptable game.