PDA

View Full Version : moving to boston suburbs

jar
03-27-2005, 02:20 AM
I got a job offer this week that I'm probably going to take. The one thing is that I have to move back to Massachusetts (recently finished going to school up there). I'd be working in North Billerica, and the friend I'm probably going to live with works in North Andover. Any suggestions for places to live that have reasonable commutes to these places and where we aren't likely to get shot at?

daryn
03-27-2005, 02:59 AM
woburn
billerica
n. billerica
dracut
chelmsford
methuen
wilmington
reading
n. reading
burlington

youtalkfunny
03-27-2005, 05:01 AM
Amazing!

I just decided last week to move back to my hometown, Methuen.

See you up there!

(Gee, the rents have gone up a little in the last 15 years, haven't they?)

youtalkfunny
03-27-2005, 05:03 AM
OK, Daryn, help me out on this one:

I see you left off Lawrence, Haverhill, and Lowell. I get that.

But where's Andover? Have things changed that much?

Pinga
03-27-2005, 06:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I see you left off Lawrence, Haverhill, and Lowell. I get that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, they are on the 'shot at' list.

[ QUOTE ]
But where's Andover? Have things changed that much?

[/ QUOTE ]

Rentals are usually high in Andover. Snob town.

[ QUOTE ]
(Gee, the rents have gone up a little in the last 15 years, haven't they?)

[/ QUOTE ]

Prices are up everywhere.

Southern NH is still an option for the OP. Probably a 1/2 hour commute, shorter for your friend.

Derry area has the most apartments/houses for lease. My niece just found a decent place in Newton, NH.

You still have to pay MA income tax if you live in New Hampshire, but at least you can say you're not a masshole.

Best,
Pinga

jar
03-27-2005, 11:42 AM
What brings you back to Mass? Didn't you deal in Tunica, or am I mixing you up with someone else? Maybe we can get a homegame going.

youtalkfunny
03-28-2005, 03:28 AM
Yeah, I dealt in Tunica.

But now I don't. I'm an on-line poker prop, and now I can live anywhere that I want. There's no job holding me here. We have no family here. I've got 3 kids, and it only makes sense to move closer to family.

My family is in Methuen, hers is in Conway, Arkansas--a place that bores me to death. I get along with her side of the family--they're just boring.

Thanks to on-line poker, I've finally had some extra money to go home and visit a few times lately, and I really enjoy my family's company more than I ever did before I moved away. Took it for granted, I guess.

GL with your move.

BTW, if you're renting a U-Haul type of truck to move: when I moved from Vegas to Tunica in 2000, I remember guessing that I would spend $200 on gas.

$200 didn't get me across Arizona. I think I spent about $600 altogether. And gas prices had dipped pretty low in 2000.

I've got a bum knee now, so I'm hiring movers this time. It looks like it won't cost much more than the U-Haul way.

(BTW, my screen name is the first words my new sister-in-law ever said to me, when she got an earful of my MA accent.)

ChoicestHops
03-28-2005, 03:39 AM
I went to UCA in Conway for one semester, and after that I couldn't take it anymore.

Every city in Arkansas sucks except for Little Rock and Fayetteville.

jar
03-29-2005, 01:00 AM
Yeah, I'm a recent college grad moving to take my first professional job, so I don't have that much stuff to move. I'll probably get my parents to bring a load up in the minivan, and there's a trailer we can borrow to move my bed. The rest can be a few trips in my car as I come back for family obligations. (It seems like everyone in my family is getting married this year.) It's only like a 300 mile move, so it's not a big deal.

I would appreciate any general relocation advice as far as registering my car and getting a new drivers license and insurance and stuff like that. I'm going up this week to look at apartments.

daryn
03-29-2005, 01:05 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
I would appreciate any general relocation advice as far as registering my car and getting a new drivers license and insurance and stuff like that. I'm going up this week to look at apartments.

[/ QUOTE ]

ok. register your car at the rmv. get a new driver's license also. also, get insurance.

jar
03-29-2005, 01:13 AM
OK, that's good advice, thanks.

That reminds me; is there any other state that calls it the RMV instead of the DMV? Also, wtf is up with auto insurance in Mass? Allstate, the company I have now, won't touch MA with a 10 foot pole. It seems the advertised online places won't either.

youtalkfunny
03-29-2005, 02:57 AM
We never called it the RMV when I lived there. It was "The Registry".

The Lawrence newspaper (www.eagletribune.com) has been winning awards this year for their coverage of the crackdown on auto insurance fraud--you know, five guys pile into a small car, get in front of you, slam on the brakes, and you can't swerve because their buddy is close alongside you. The paper has been exposing the lawyers and doctors who've been making hay with this stuff.

The insurance rates in MA were always among the nation's highest, but they may have outdone themselves in recent years.

Like someone mentioned, NH isn't far away. Route 93 runs through Derry and Salem, NH, and takes you right to Billerica. NH features no state income tax, and no sales tax. I don't know about insurance, but it MUST be cheaper than MA.

2planka
03-29-2005, 10:40 AM
Define "reasonable commute."

I work in Bedford and live in Worcester. 55 miles each way. Takes an hour in the morning and 1:15 in the afternoon. I imagine rents are cheaper in Worcester than anywhere near the 128 belt.

Marlborough is sketch for renters.

If you want anything less than a 45 minute commute to Billerica, you're probably looking at $1500 rents or $400,000 for a starter home.

As Toro says, Worcester is the Poker Capital of the known universe.

jakethebake
03-29-2005, 10:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, wtf is up with auto insurance in Mass? Allstate, the company I have now, won't touch MA with a 10 foot pole. It seems the advertised online places won't either.

[/ QUOTE ]

It has to do with Teddy Kennedy still being on the road up there.