PDA

View Full Version : Party 2/4: Q7o in the BB

gronks
03-27-2005, 01:37 AM
Not much of a read on villan in this hand. He had only been at the table for a few hands. Comments on all streets are appreciated, but I am particularly curious about the river here.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero checks.

Flop: (2.50 SB) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

Turn: (2.25 BB) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

River: (4.25 BB) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 7.25 BB

In a smallish pot does it make sense to call this river?

Piiop
03-27-2005, 01:48 AM
I would check-call this river. Since your kicker sucks, there aren't many hands that will call the river that you beat. Give him a chance to bet a busted draw or check thru with a weak K or Q better kicker. Since you bet, the fold is good.

rmarotti
03-27-2005, 12:22 PM
If you're checking this river it should be with the intention of folding, not calling.

climber
03-27-2005, 12:27 PM
rmarotti--

I always feel torn between these though I have been getting a little better at bet/folding.

I still suck at check/folding especially with 2nd pair. I always imagine hes betting a 9 or something.

Is your river decision pretty read based as far as what line to take? I hate the check fold as I feel like so many peopl e auto-bet anytime you have been leading and slow down. Though maybe thats just me casue I tend to play 2nd pairs pretty aggressively?

sthief09
03-27-2005, 12:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you're checking this river it should be with the intention of folding, not calling.

[/ QUOTE ]

no...

Hoi Polloi
03-27-2005, 01:52 PM
I think this is right. If you had a better kicker may be you bet this for value though it's close.

Check/call -- save yourself a bet or put in your bet when you'll snap off a bluff, beat a weaker hand or pay off. You're going to have to fold to often to a raise here to make the bet +EV. IMO

gronks
03-28-2005, 02:54 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I always hate these situations, but the come up enough to merit some discussion.