View Full Version : heads-up call

IvyGrizzly
03-26-2005, 10:26 PM
10+1 blinds 150/300

Blinds: after posting
Button: 3398
Hero: 4152

Hero is dealt K5o

The button limps and I check. I know most would raise here, but I've been trying a more passive preflop game heads-up lately and it's been working, at least at my level. Checking out of the big blind lets me bust people a lot more when they think the flop has missed me.

Flop is 7h 4s 6c

OESD + 1 over, I bet the pot of 600, he raises all-in. This guy has been playing back at people and buying pots the entire tournament (he reraised nearly every raise at him), and I put him on a bluff, plus he would have definitely raised an ace PF. In the case that he flopped top pair I am in the neighborhood of 60/40.

thequiet1
03-26-2005, 10:48 PM
I say let him take the pot. If he has been as aggressive as you say another oppurtunity will arise to trap him when you don't need to count on a draw. If he has hit a pair and you miss the games pretty much over, and it would be a shame to lose from that chip position against a player like that.

Phoenix1010
03-26-2005, 10:56 PM
The odds are in your favor, about 5:3. He'll be bluffing here more than a fifth of the time. You are drawing live to your straight no matter what he holds, and there's a solid chance that your king outs are also good (at least 1.5 outs). This is a call. If you have an extraordinary read on the player that tells you he has a set, AND think that you are a much better heads up player and can exploit better edges later, then you can start to consider folding here. Otherwise, your edge is too large to fold.

microbet
03-26-2005, 11:15 PM
There is no 'later' to exploit.

His agression argues for a call. You may have the best hand already if he is bluffing. You have a good draw and after putting the flop bet in there you have pot odds. Against a very aggressive player heads up with the blinds that high and getting higher you will be at a big disadvantage with a smaller stack; a bigger disadvantage than you are with this call. If the villian were very passive you might fold because a couple blind steals would put you right back.

Since, IMO, the 600 bet on a draw pot-committed you, it would have been better to push.

valenzuela
03-27-2005, 12:03 AM
I push preflop.

IvyGrizzly
03-27-2005, 01:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I push preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?