PDA

View Full Version : How Smart are You?

Jazza
03-26-2005, 09:51 PM
Of all the people who you think will vote on this poll, what is your best guess where you rank amongst these people?

and by smart just used your own definition of what it means, I realize it's difficult to define

Edit: top 10% means the smartest 10%, 90-100% means the dumbest

InchoateHand
03-26-2005, 09:54 PM
Funny joke---say "percentile" but put "top 10" at top and "90-100" at bottom.

JaBlue
03-26-2005, 09:55 PM
standard deviation would be a better measure than percentile for this

Jazza
03-26-2005, 09:59 PM
why?

Matty
03-26-2005, 10:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]I think it's a toss-up as to whether this was intentional or not. Therefore I am not voting.

jesusarenque
03-26-2005, 10:04 PM
A better question would be, "What percentage of people will choose the 'Top 10%' option?".

I say 50.

InchoateHand
03-26-2005, 10:05 PM
Yeah same.

I think we will end up with an inverted bell curve anyway, from the people who notice that.

Jazza
03-26-2005, 10:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]I think it's a toss-up as to whether this was intentional or not. Therefore I am not voting.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish I could say the joke was intentional

I need sleep

top 10% I intended as meaning smartest, I used this system cause I thought back to how my high school ranked people's grades, for example if you were in the 12th percentile you had higher grades than 88% of people in your year

TStoneMBD
03-26-2005, 10:11 PM
i would certainly guess that the majority of people on these forums are of far greater intelligence, on average, than an average person. if the intention of your poll was to display that people are optimistic about themselves, then its a failure. also, i think you should have added another question concerning whether the people who voted actually took a certified test that measured their intelligence or not.

TStoneMBD
03-26-2005, 10:13 PM
just to show how unreliable these tests are, i still dont know what the joke is even after reading these posts, and i scored in the 8th percentile on a certified test.

Jazza
03-26-2005, 10:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i would certainly guess that the majority of people on these forums are of far greater intelligence, on average, than an average person. if the intention of your poll was to display that people are optimistic about themselves, then its a failure. also, i think you should have added another question concerning whether the people who voted actually took a certified test that measured their intelligence or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Of all the people who you think will vote on this poll

[/ QUOTE ]

wacki
03-26-2005, 10:16 PM
TStoneMBD who is that in your avatar?

brassnuts
03-26-2005, 10:17 PM
He's not asking how you rank against the general population. He's asking how you feel you rank against other 2+2ers taking this poll. It's kinda pointless, however, because everyone is going to think they're the smartest. I'm guessing I'm around the 85th percentile of posters here.

ClaytonN
03-26-2005, 10:19 PM
I believe we know the IQ of our OP thanks to this poll

Voltron87
03-26-2005, 10:44 PM
While 50% of us are not in the top 10, 2+2ers on a whole are crushing the national average. There are so many absolutely retarded people out there, it blows my mind.

TStoneMBD
03-26-2005, 11:05 PM
another example of why IQ tests are very inaccurate.

=/

Bukwurm
03-26-2005, 11:35 PM
BTW, the only reason I answered "top 10% of posters" on here is because I DO know my IQ, and unless more than 10% of the people on here have IQs above 150, it's an accurate self-assessment.

For those of you who are curious, the approximate IQ score cutoff for Mensa is 130 (98th percetile) - which is the median IQ for physicians. The average neurosurgeon has an IQ of 140 (99.2 percentile, give or take a bit) - same as college professors (wonder what that says about the two groups. <g>)

For various reasons, I think the average professional poker player is Mensa eligible - and the better ones (a la Sklansky, Malmuth, Zee, McEvoy, etc, etc) are all at least as intelligent as the average neurosurgeon - if not much more so.

STLantny
03-26-2005, 11:54 PM
Im smart enough to not give a [censored], how i compare to ppl.

Popinjay
03-27-2005, 12:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Im smart enough to not give a [censored], how i compare to ppl.

[/ QUOTE ]

Low IQ eh? It's okay, there's more to life than intelligence.

Riverman
03-27-2005, 12:04 AM
I would guess that over 90% of posters are in the top 10% of intelligence.

whiskeytown
03-27-2005, 12:34 AM
at least the top 2 percent according to IQ tests.

found out when I applied and got into Mensa, but it seemed like a boring group and no cute single women in it at all, so I let my membership drop....

they did have a poker night though....hmmm.

RB

STLantny
03-27-2005, 12:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I would guess that over 90% of posters are in the top 10% of intelligence.

[/ QUOTE ]

are you nuts? popinj FUCUNT.

ThaSaltCracka
03-27-2005, 12:38 AM
I am not surprised that many people are saying they are top 10%, mostly because 90% of the people on this forum are conceited.

I voted top 30% because thats what I was in HS(GPA-wise). But really I know I am smart and really don't care where I am in comparison to other people.

ClaytonN
03-27-2005, 12:42 AM
I'm surprised this hasn't turned into a brag thread.

whiskeytown
03-27-2005, 12:43 AM
you musta missed my response. - LOL - I have documented proof of my Genius.

still couldn't get me laid though.

RB

ThaSaltCracka
03-27-2005, 12:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm surprised this hasn't turned into a brag thread.

[/ QUOTE ]I am sure there will be several intelligence based threads in the next coming days. People love bragging on this forum, and I bet 90% of the stories/claims we hear are grossly exagerated.

ThaSaltCracka
03-27-2005, 12:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
you musta missed my response. - LOL - I have documented proof of my Genius.

still couldn't get me laid though.

[/ QUOTE ]bragging about ones intelligence usually doesn't impress the ladies. Now, bragging about your johnson, thats a whole 'nother story.

whiskeytown
03-27-2005, 12:52 AM
I think I overdo it and scare them off - /images/graemlins/grin.gif

RB

ThaSaltCracka
03-27-2005, 12:53 AM
haha, well played sir.

ClaytonN
03-27-2005, 12:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I am sure there will be several intelligence based threads in the next coming days. People love bragging on this forum, and I bet 90% of the stories/claims we hear are grossly exagerated.

[/ QUOTE ]

See, it's different with me. I think preaching your own intelligence is contradictory to intelligent nature in and of itself.

Certain posters here have established themselves in the highest echelon of intelligence on this board, but they didn't have to say it. They let their posts show it.

ThaSaltCracka
03-27-2005, 01:00 AM
word.

You are wise for your age man, very wise.

Dead
03-27-2005, 01:30 AM
Around 40-50%, I guess.

Although, according to some on here, I should be somewhere in the top 80%. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Jazza
03-27-2005, 12:32 PM
Yep, I'd say that this gives further evidence to my beliefs that most people overestimate their own intelligence relative to other people a fair amount

I used to think that I was just unlucky enough to know lots of arrogant people

banditbdl
03-27-2005, 12:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yep, I'd say that this gives further evidence to my beliefs that most people overestimate their own intelligence relative to other people a fair amount

[/ QUOTE ]

This is common knowledge in the psychology field. People consistently overestimate their abilities, from intelligence to driving and beyond. You could have looked this up in a textbook or google rather than waste your time with this poll.

Jazza
03-27-2005, 12:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is common knowledge in the psychology field. People consistently overestimate their abilities, from intelligence to driving and beyond. You could have looked this up in a textbook or google rather than waste your time with this poll.

[/ QUOTE ]

but doing your own experiments is fun

Dr. Strangelove
03-28-2005, 04:02 AM
I think Mr. Mill aka "grey" is the smartest 2+2er. Since he's in the running for smartest person ever. Unless he's just trying to trick us.

scotty34
03-28-2005, 04:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I am sure there will be several intelligence based threads in the next coming days. People love bragging on this forum, and I bet 90% of the stories/claims we hear are grossly exagerated.

[/ QUOTE ]

See, it's different with me. I think preaching your own intelligence is contradictory to intelligent nature in and of itself.

Certain posters here have established themselves in the highest echelon of intelligence on this board, but they didn't have to say it. They let their posts show it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Without a very precise definition of intelligence, I have to disagree with this. I'm sure some of the people on this forum are brilliant in the ways of math and physics etc. but often make complete idiots of themselves in posts. Others who can make socially intelligent comments may not be so well refined in problem solving skills.

If we are basing intelligence on the Stanford-Binet IQ test, then some of the 'dumb' posters may actually be far smarter than the 'smart' posters.

I definetly disagree that preaching your own intelligence is contradictory to intelligent nature. That is more of an issue regarding one's morals and modesty, which is not necessarily correlated to intelligence. Obviously some people are not as smart as they think they are, just as some athletes are not as talented as they think they are. However, if a person knows he/she is smart, and is not modest about it, this does not detract from their intelligence. You know all those really hot girls that know they are just smoking - does that make them any less hot?

Subfallen
03-28-2005, 04:53 AM
V. stupid.

Tron
03-28-2005, 05:29 AM
I'm so smart it makes me want to throw up.

IsaacW
03-28-2005, 12:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
they did have a poker night though....hmmm.

[/ QUOTE ]
Buncha weak-tight nits, those Mensa guys. You can run over that game for miles and miles...

chaas4747
03-28-2005, 12:47 PM
A lady at work one time told me, "My son is really smart, he is in the top 98 percentile of his class." Funny [censored].

Bukwurm
03-29-2005, 07:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol - IQ and EQ (Emotional Quotient) are two very different things. Many intelligent people I've known haven't felt they had anything else to feel positive about, so they talk about their intelligence. Also, people with common sense quite often have a more useful TYPE of intelligence than just IQ.

mostsmooth
03-29-2005, 07:24 PM
am i confused?
this poll appears to ask us to compare us with each other? some of you appear to be talking about comparing with the general public?
btw i voted 10-20, because im pretty sure theres some smarter people than me here.

Jazza
03-30-2005, 02:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
am i confused?
this poll appears to ask us to compare us with each other? some of you appear to be talking about comparing with the general public?
btw i voted 10-20, because im pretty sure theres some smarter people than me here.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, I was trying to get people to compare with each other, so that the actual distribution is evenly divided amongst the choices

Bukwurm
03-30-2005, 08:19 PM
You're right - the poll asks people to compare themselves against other posters on here only - hence my overly-detailed answer earlier. After all, if the average pro poker player is 98th percentile in IQ, the top 10% of that is the 99.2 percentile I mentioned. Due to a Bell curve, it's only a 10 pt gap in IQ, at this level) <g>

So yes, most people did misread it. Although, to be fair, Attention Deficit Disorder is, for many reasons (most not yet understood) very closely related to higher intelligence. So, misreading, due to not noticing, or caring about, the details, can be another indicator of the upper IQs of most of the posters on here. lol

Alobar
03-30-2005, 08:30 PM
If its everyone that will vote in this poll, I put I'm smarter than 70% of you. If its everyone on these forums I'm smarter than half, and if its everyone in the world, im in the top 10%

codewarrior
03-30-2005, 08:37 PM
Smarter than you, tube-steak.

spamuell
03-30-2005, 08:39 PM
The best part is that there are all these people scoffing at those who overestimate themselves and voted top 10% while they believe that their own vote in the top 10% is legitimate, even though it's certainly not.

I hope I don't fall into this category.