PDA

View Full Version : Citizenship poll

radek2166
03-26-2005, 08:38 PM
Discuss.

The reason I am wondering how people feel about this is. I have lived in worked in Arizona for most of the past 13 years. I have seen people that have become citizens that can not speak English.

I also think if you are going to live in another country you should make an effort to learn the language. I am not saying that one needs to be fluent in the language. Just an effort to speak the language.

When our ancestor came to America they learned how to speak the language. To me now adays(atleast in America) it seems that we cater to people that have no interest in learning the language.

I think Eurpoeans are incredible with the way they speak 2,3 and 4 langauges. Dikembe Mutombo speaks 7. I only speak 1 but, then again I have no real desire to move anywhere else in the world.

To me moving to another country and learning the customs and language is sorta like going to someone elses house and conforming to the hosts house rules.

Cubswin
03-26-2005, 08:41 PM
Why should anyone need to learn English when it is not the official language of the US?

zaxx19
03-26-2005, 08:41 PM
Whats the language of the United States...???

I wasnt aware we had an official one.

Jazza
03-26-2005, 08:44 PM
I say we just kill all those damn foreigners in the first place

Matty
03-26-2005, 08:44 PM
Let's talk about Chinese people! With their kung-fu and their silly chang-chang-chong talk! We can't understand you! Go back to yer country! White power!

NAU_Player
03-26-2005, 08:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

we dont.

JaBlue
03-26-2005, 08:47 PM
This problem exists much more in other countries that americans go to IMO. Also I think that paying respect to the native cultures and learning the social customs is more important than learning the language.

jesusarenque
03-26-2005, 08:51 PM
An English test (verbal and written) is part of the final citizenship interview, so everyone who gets citizenship can speak at least a little English.

zaxx19
03-26-2005, 08:53 PM
Or pays the 2.50 for the cheat sheet at the corner bodaga......

jesusarenque
03-26-2005, 09:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Or pays the 2.50 for the cheat sheet at the corner bodaga......

[/ QUOTE ]

The tests aren't standardized.

radek2166
03-26-2005, 09:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I say we just kill all those damn foreigners in the first place

[/ QUOTE ]

What ever. Allways one in every crowd.

[ QUOTE ]
Let's talk about Chinese people! With their kung-fu and their silly chang-chang-chong talk! We can't understand you! Go back to yer country! White power!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats not what I am getting at. Guess I should have asked this somewhere else. Forgot how many trolls hang out here.

[ QUOTE ]
This problem exists much more in other countries that americans go to IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably very very true. I can not really give an opinio on this due to the fact I have only been to Canada and Mexico. I do know I laughed really really hard when I realized that in my broken spanish no one understood me and I found it offensive. Typical pompous american attitude. WTF the nerve of you not to speak english in Mexico.

[ QUOTE ]
Also I think that paying respect to the native cultures and learning the social customs is more important than learning the language.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes and no IMHO

GrekeHaus
03-26-2005, 09:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's Spanish.

tek
03-26-2005, 09:03 PM
Yes, and make those damn immigrants learn to drive correctly /images/graemlins/mad.gif

zaxx19
03-26-2005, 09:07 PM
tek. we should only be fair and make those old Jewish bubees drive better also....

SackUp
03-26-2005, 09:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Quote:

Thats not what I am getting at. Guess I should have asked this somewhere else. Forgot how many trolls hang out here.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was a joke. He was making reference to the Chappelle skit with Clayton Bigsby. The blind black white supremacist. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

JaBlue
03-26-2005, 09:12 PM
The best part of the episode is where Clayton divorces his wife when he finds out he's black because, well, she's a nigger lover

radek2166
03-26-2005, 09:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Quote:

[/ QUOTE ]

This was a joke. He was making reference to the Chappelle skit with Clayton Bigsby. The blind black white supremacist. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

My bad. Never saw it. Sorry bro.

tek
03-26-2005, 10:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
tek. we should only be fair and make those old Jewish bubees drive better also....

[/ QUOTE ]

Heck yeah! If you can't see over the dashboard without help--no license /images/graemlins/wink.gif

jakethebake
03-27-2005, 05:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why should anyone need to learn English when it is not the official language of the US?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because if you're going to be a citizen of a country you should make an attempt to be a functioning member of that society.