PDA

View Full Version : So I FINALLY got Pocket Aces....

ThaHero
03-26-2005, 05:32 PM
Sorry, don't know how to work the Hand Converter really. This is .2/.4 on PokerStars.

I'm one off the button. I raise preflop. It's 4 to the flop.

Flop is J, J, 10 rainbow.

Everyone checks, I bet, only one person calls.

Turn is another J. He checks, I bet, he calls.

River is a 5. He checks, I bet. He raises. I re-raise. He caps, I call. Turn em over...He has 4 of a kind, Jacks.

Should I have checked on the river? I figured I had him beat, and put him on having that 4th Jack at maybe 1,000 to 1 lol. Figured he more likely had KK, or maybe a 10, or possibly got that 5 or was on a straight draw with Q9 oe KQ.

Most players at the nanolimits don't slowplay their sets, and definately don't slowplay their four of a kinds. Truth be told, I would have probably re-raised every hand, thinking maybe he had pocket Kings, although he didn't raise pre-flop. Is this something that I shouldn't even stress over, since it will probably happen so infrequently?

David04
03-26-2005, 05:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I figured I had him beat, and put him on having that 4th Jack at maybe 1,000 to 1 lol.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wrong.

[ QUOTE ]
Most players at the nanolimits don't slowplay their sets

[/ QUOTE ]
Wrong.

[ QUOTE ]
definately don't slowplay their four of a kinds.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wrong.

Bet the river for value, and call if it's raised.

ThaHero
03-26-2005, 05:36 PM
Well I will take your word for things since I've only got about 500 hands played at the nanolimits. From what I've seen, they pretty much bet out at the turn and river, or raise. But you have the experience.

So was I right to even be betting to his checks?

Edit: Also, that 1,000 to 1 on having the 4th Jack was I joke. I don't know the real odds, but I know it's not very common.

David04
03-26-2005, 05:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So was I right to even be betting to his checks?

[/ QUOTE ]
I liked your line until the river. Bet the river, and call his raise, DO NOT 3-bet.

You must bet the flop, because you most likely have the best hand.

On the turn, you are losing to exactly one card:the fourth jack.

Same for the river. I wouldn't hate a check on the river. A bet is good, and most likely for value, but 3-betting that is absolutely terrible.

Edit:I realize your 1000:1 was a joke. But at some point you have to give credit to the Villain, which makes 3-betting wrong.

ThaHero
03-26-2005, 05:43 PM
OK thanks.

So what exactly are the odds on him having the fourth jack?

NateDog
03-26-2005, 05:43 PM
Welcome to the forums.

That said, read the sticky. The converter works very well. Paste hand history in left box, hit 'convert', copy history from right box, paste here.

Quads happen, you could've lost more.

Nate

David04
03-26-2005, 05:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
OK thanks.

So what exactly are the odds on him having the fourth jack?

[/ QUOTE ]
Mathematically, it is 22.5:1(I think. (52-7(your hole cards minus board cards), 45/2(only needs one jack.)

But the way this hand has played out, I would say around 10:1.

ThaHero
03-26-2005, 05:46 PM
Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out and clean up my posted hands lol.

MagicFlea
03-26-2005, 06:02 PM
whoa whoa whoa

this is definitely a raise all the way, you played it fine.

no way you ever should play in fear of quads (at this level), and you had the nuts aside from that. Even if his raise means there's a 45% chance he has quads you should still 3-bet.

And in his position I would raise with a 10, QQ and KK, all of which you have beat, and all of which are more likely than him having the last J.

If he is even a little aggressive postflop, he could also have AK, AQ, A5, K5, or any pocket pair and raise

finally, don't give the results on the hand in general. if something really interesting turned up put the results in white text or post them later

as far as the odds of him having the Jack... 18 cards were dealt to other players, and at the turn we know 7 of them (we're making the calculation at the river when we're raised, so we use all the info we have). So there's a 18/45 chance the last Jack was dealt to someone. 6 people folded before the flop so I'll assume that a one jack in the hand slightly increases your likelyhood to call, so its 1/2 that the jack made it to the flop. Obviously if anyone at the flop had the jack it was him, so its 1/1 that he was the one of the 4 who got it.

Which leaves the odds at 18/90 or 20%. Not raising his reraise is complete folly.

bottomset
03-26-2005, 07:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
whoa whoa whoa

this is definitely a raise all the way, you played it fine.

no way you ever should play in fear of quads (at this level), and you had the nuts aside from that. Even if his raise means there's a 45% chance he has quads you should still 3-bet.

And in his position I would raise with a 10, QQ and KK, all of which you have beat, and all of which are more likely than him having the last J.

If he is even a little aggressive postflop, he could also have AK, AQ, A5, K5, or any pocket pair and raise

finally, don't give the results on the hand in general. if something really interesting turned up put the results in white text or post them later

as far as the odds of him having the Jack... 18 cards were dealt to other players, and at the turn we know 7 of them (we're making the calculation at the river when we're raised, so we use all the info we have). So there's a 18/45 chance the last Jack was dealt to someone. 6 people folded before the flop so I'll assume that a one jack in the hand slightly increases your likelyhood to call, so its 1/2 that the jack made it to the flop. Obviously if anyone at the flop had the jack it was him, so its 1/1 that he was the one of the 4 who got it.

Which leaves the odds at 18/90 or 20%. Not raising his reraise is complete folly.

[/ QUOTE ]

you need to understand that you play HU differently than multiway if the board was AJJxx then by all means go to war

but in this case the board is JJJxx much different, as its much more likely the case J is out .. its possible he's only betting KK or worse but you aren't good often enough here to 3bet against a line that looks like the standard fishy slowplay