PDA

View Full Version : How bad did I overplay AA here?

elcap
03-26-2005, 01:44 PM
Ok, I've said before my weak spot is overplaying overpairs and TPTK so I want to know if this is a terrible play or just a marginal one. I was a bit anxious to mix it up as I had been on vacation for a while and was jonesing to play a big pot so I think I may have been overanxious but after thinking about it I thought that there may have been some logic behind my move.

Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

MP2 ($118.30)
MP3 ($145.15)
CO ($191.60)
Button ($289.35)
Hero ($159.90)
BB ($123.30)
UTG ($188.75)
UTG+1 ($107.60)
MP1 ($101.70)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls $2, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls $2, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $8</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls $6, CO calls $6.

Flop: ($26) K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $26</font>, MP2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $52</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $78</font>, CO calls $0.

Turn: ($156) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>

River: ($156) 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>

Final Pot: $156

I thought about his flop raise and thought it he wouyld make that move with AK for sure and maybe KQ (but unlikely here). I didn't think I could lay it down for the miniraise so my options were to call and see what the turn brings but I know I would have to face a big bet on turn and unless a really scary card came I would be in tough spot deciding whehter my cards were good or not. I would have 1/3 of my stack in with an overpair and not many cards would really be too scary on the turn (short of a K). So if I called the mini raise I would probably be committed to call a big bet on turn and go all the way. I also couldn't really make a small reraise on the flop without being pot committed so that wasn't a strong option. So I figured it was a push or fold situation and I just thought it was too likely he had AK to fold here so I pushed. Terrible? Marginal? What do you guys think?

PokerSlut
03-26-2005, 02:04 PM
I think you should check the hand history in your post; the converter doesn't like all-in situations and screws it up.

Did you push after the minraise?

I agree, it's a push or fold situation as a pot-sized bet on the turn will put you all-in anyway.

One thing I would point out is that the flop is not particularly scary (there's a possible OESD, so watch for that); there's really no need to bet the whole pot there. You could just as easily have bet 1/2 the pot in this situation, which would get you less stuck to the pot when your opponent has a monster (you have more options after a minraise, for certain) as well as entice more players with weaker hands to stay in with underpairs to your rockets.

elcap
03-26-2005, 02:18 PM
Sorry, yeah I pushed all in too his mini raise, so I ended up making it $78 more to him. I guess I could have bet a bit less than pot and I usually do vary how much I bet in this situation but I was kind of hoping to catch a K. I bet 80% of the time after a preflop raise so I was hoping that someone would think I was trying to buy it and play their K. I guess I got what I hoped for kind of. . .

crazygoose
03-26-2005, 03:14 PM
i usually dont play at those stakes, but i like the idea of betting half the pot on a flop like that-not pot comitting yourself too much. the CO might be putting you on QQ, JJ, AQ and theyre thinking youre just taking a stab at a pretty mundane flop, inducing his miniraise. that really leaves you two options, push or fold. something makes me think he had a set or two pair because he wouldnt be pot comitting himself like that (he also called your push)...AK is unlikely to me because of the preflop action. i might be inclined to lay it down...but then again, that might be why i dont play those stakes.

elcap
03-26-2005, 05:05 PM
I don't mean to beg but I am really curious to hear a little more feedback on this hand. . . Anyone? Please.

soah
03-26-2005, 05:27 PM
RAISE MORE... damn caps lock... Raise more preflop. A couple gems I've stumbled across in these forums.... "No one has ever complained about winning too small of a pot with AA" and "AA is only the nuts preflop." Some people will actually call ridiculous raises preflop... I'm not sure why, and I don't care, but they'll do it. And if they fold, then at least you didn't lose your stack.