PDA

View Full Version : draft?

brad
10-14-2002, 09:56 AM
heard legislation is in congress (so its early stages) for universal draft (18-59) like in WW2 i guess.

a couple people have been asking me how old i am (not that young, but when everyone else at table is 50 minimum...), and ive been telling them im way too old. (for conscription)

now i may have to give an elaborate answer /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

lucky for me i like to talk /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Jimbo
10-14-2002, 03:01 PM
Personally I believe a renewed draft might do the US some good even if the extra personnel are never needed. A little discipline in our adolescents can certainly do no harm, other than tighten up a few of the table maniacs. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Jimbo

baggins
10-15-2002, 04:15 AM
i'd flee to Canada, for sure.

no way am i fighting, or training to fight.

Ray Zee
10-15-2002, 08:55 AM
the draft is scary. its a bunch of old men usually sending young people out to die. have enough troops and someone will use them. i like what we have now. a paid bunch of mercinary fighters who since they are volunteer paid troops we should have no quams of putting them in harms way. i had way too many good friends drafted and killed needlessly in vietnam just to satisfy of ego of lyndon johnson. and a few war mongers that had their hands tied by congress and werent allowed to win the so called war.

Jimbo
10-15-2002, 11:56 AM
Ray,

I can understand your viewpoint. Since I survived and felt the experience enhanced my life with self-confidence and much needed discipline I may be skewed too far in the other direction. This war should be different at least in respect to the war being properly conducted. However as long as politicians are involved some degrees of greater risk may be involved as well.

Jimbo

10-15-2002, 12:54 PM
By the way,

Harper's Index recently showed that in one poll, 37% of college students said they would take measures to evade a draft. I don't know, but this seems very high, given the general climate and tenor of the times.

John

brad
10-15-2002, 01:06 PM
'This war should be different at least in respect to the war being properly conducted. '

yes, at least this time we have bush giving us a proper declaration of war. (which will supposedly last 100 years ...)

HDPM
10-15-2002, 01:08 PM
Why? After Jimmy pardoned draft dodgers and then the next Democrat President was a draft dodger, why should people believe there is any negative consequence to being a draft dodger? It's not like the old days. But even then, draft dodging was a bigger problem in WWII than is recognized, particularly in rose tinted hindsight books like "The Greatest Generation."

I think the odds of a draft in the next ten years are like 10000-1. Congress won't pay for the military we have now, let alone a big force of draftees.

brad
10-15-2002, 01:10 PM
not sure about this, but read some time ago that something changed or something and canada is no longer a safe haven in case of draft. (the official policy during vietnam was that canada would officially grant refugee status or something similiar to inductees)

quebec might be an exception, i dont know.

something to think about, anyway, especially is you live in seattle and are super eligable (18,19).

brad
10-15-2002, 01:51 PM
my prediction is that a big conscript army would cost the same amount as the current volunteer army.

HDPM
10-15-2002, 04:09 PM
It would cost much more. The cost of administering the draft, let alone clothing, feeding, training, and paying draftees is staggering.

brad
10-15-2002, 07:49 PM
well its a universal draft (proposal just) so theres really minimal administration i guess.

my point is that if it passes you might see inductees getting only a token payment a month.

10-15-2002, 11:08 PM
A token payment Brad? How about 3 ounces of pot? /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Jimbo