PDA

View Full Version : A few basic questions

Nathan Blanchard
03-26-2005, 11:51 AM
A few basic questions if anybody has the time or inclination /images/graemlins/smile.gif

If one thought a player would raise with the top 25% (or whatever) of starting hands, would one be far off just taking DS's group 1 on down in order as a guide? I realize steal position emphasizes any pair any ace, and other special tourney situations, as well as particular player styles would tilt this one way or another. Just looking, I guess, for a rule of thumb.

Also, I remember some time back someone had compiled a list of heads-up hands by pure mathmatical win %. I forget what this was called and would appreciate some help in finding this list.

Thank you all,

NB

xxxxx
03-26-2005, 12:09 PM
Can you be more specific? I'm not sure what situation you are talking about. Are you referring to calling two cold if there is an early position raiser? Are you referring to defending your blinds?

Iceman
03-26-2005, 06:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A few basic questions if anybody has the time or inclination /images/graemlins/smile.gif

If one thought a player would raise with the top 25% (or whatever) of starting hands, would one be far off just taking DS's group 1 on down in order as a guide? I realize steal position emphasizes any pair any ace, and other special tourney situations, as well as particular player styles would tilt this one way or another. Just looking, I guess, for a rule of thumb.

[/ QUOTE ]

Horrible players can literally play any two cards.

Semi-fish who have some clue about the game will tend to be too loose in early position and in raised pots, but will generally have somewhat decent hands rather than random garbage...many such players tend to overvalue things like offsuit aces - they don't show up in the Sklansky rankings but they will be shown down a lot even by non-morons. You have to be careful when bluffing Axy flops.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, I remember some time back someone had compiled a list of heads-up hands by pure mathmatical win %. I forget what this was called and would appreciate some help in finding this list.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.jazbo.com/poker/huholdem.html

jtr
03-26-2005, 08:09 PM
It might not be exactly what you had in mind, but you may find this thread (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=holdem&Number=1646212&fpar t=&PHPSESSID=) interesting -- it's a table of the hands you're a favourite with against increasingly liberal preflop raisers. (It's nothing you couldn't do yourself with a couple of hours messing about with pokercalculator or pokerstove, but it's extremely interesting to see the results laid out this way.)

xxxxx
03-27-2005, 12:19 AM
In other words you reraise with the top half of the hands the pfr raised with. So if someone pfr 25% of the hands, you reraise with the top 12.5% of the hands.