PDA

View Full Version : Irish, Brazilians, and Addicts

Ulysses
03-26-2005, 09:27 AM
I saw three really good movies last week.

In America - this is a sort of sappy movie about the struggles of an Irish illegal immigrant family who move to NYC. It's done really well, though, and it's hard not to like this movie, even though it's a little over the top and cliched in a number of places.

City of God - this is an intense movie that just about everyone seems to like, and for good reason. It's about the slums of Rio - the kids, the gangs, the people, the drugs, the violence, the lives. Lots of interwoven little storylines that all mesh together incredibly well. Pretty violent and intense in spots. Really good flick.

Dope Sick Love - this is a documentary showing on HBO. It's about two drug addict couples living on the streets of NYC. The filmmakers followed them for 18 months and there's no narration or storyline or anything. Just a bunch of footage showing the experiences they go through. It's intense and disturbing. These people are hardcore addicts whose lives revolve around getting their fix. They don't soften the reality in this movie. It's not pretty or fun to watch, but man, it's one intense movie. A really powerful documentary.

All three of these movies were very emotional. There's a lot of sad stuff in all of them, but at the end of the movie, In America is most optimistic and hopeful. Dope Sick Love is pretty much a downer all the way. And City of God is sort of in the middle.

I also watched Equilibrium, which sucked really bad. I fast-forwarded through most of it.

radek2166
03-26-2005, 09:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
All three of these movies were very emotional. There's a lot of sad stuff in all of them, but at the end of the movie

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats very very touching Bro.
I mean that with the utmost sincerity.

SmileyEH
03-26-2005, 03:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I also watched Equilibrium, which sucked really bad. I fast-forwarded through most of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree.

-SmileyEH

Phoenix1010
03-26-2005, 03:23 PM
I passionately hate Equilibrium. City of God is one of the best movies to come out in recent years. Anyone who hasn't seen it yet should do so as soon as possible. I'll check out the other two.

Chobohoya
03-26-2005, 05:55 PM
Equilibrium is a terrible movie, but that's half the fun of it. Fight scenes aside, my favorite moment is when the swat team mows down a bunch of puppies-- unintentional humor at its finest.

Ulysses
03-26-2005, 07:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree.

[/ QUOTE ]

How can you disagree? Are you calling me a liar? While I did watch it for a little while at the beginning and did watch a few fight scenes, I definitely fast-forwarded through most of it.

You seem like a reasonably smart guy, so I assume we agree on the part about it sucking really bad.

DBowling
03-26-2005, 07:44 PM
i'm 1/4 irish, 1/4 brazilian, and a caffeine addict, yet i have nothing to add to this thread.